Tomatekh's New Civilizations

It's just that we Australians only ever read about the Sioux. Heck I only know the pronunciation because of Fargo.

Australians watch Fargo? That's good news.

Really glad to see such a beautiful Native American mod.

Thanks. You may also add it to other Plains civ, if you're going to make one.

Hi, Tomatekh! I just wanted to say that The Sioux are one of the most interesting, engaging, flavorful, and just plain fun civs that I've played in a very long time. I just finished a game as them on the Great Plains map, and they are supremely suited to going wide and are interesting in a way that I'm not sure I've ever seen. The mechanics of the UA, UI, and UU are all multi-layered, but ultimately intuitive and really fit the civ. I spread my cities wide across the plains in the center of the map, and started up each really quickly through my tipis, all the while claiming vast tracts of land and acting as the peace maker with my hordes of Brave Heart mounted warriors led by their leader Rain in the Face. I felt as if I truly was playing The Sioux in a way that sometimes modded civs don't make me feel.

I just wanted to thank you for that experience, and say that you do some of the best work in this community, in my opinion. :D This civ and Champa really show that recently you've been on top of your game.

Edit: And of course I must spotlight Janboruta's work on this civ as well, and Sukritact, Last Sword, and JFD also for their work behind the scenes on it. :)

Hi, Tomatekh! I just wanted to say that The Sioux are one of the most interesting, engaging, flavorful, and just plain fun civs that I've played in a very long time. I just finished a game as them on the Great Plains map, and they are supremely suited to going wide and are interesting in a way that I'm not sure I've ever seen. The mechanics of the UA, UI, and UU are all multi-layered, but ultimately intuitive and really fit the civ. I spread my cities wide across the plains in the center of the map, and started up each really quickly through my tipis, all the while claiming vast tracts of land and acting as the peace maker with my hordes of Brave Heart mounted warriors led by their leader Rain in the Face. I felt as if I truly was playing The Sioux in a way that sometimes modded civs don't make me feel.

I just wanted to thank you for that experience, and say that you do some of the best work in this community, in my opinion. :D This civ and Champa really show that recently you've been on top of your game.

Edit: And of course I must spotlight Janboruta's work on this civ as well, and Sukritact, Last Sword, and JFD also for their work behind the scenes on it. :)

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the civ! I'm really happy with how they came out, and think both the Sioux and Champa benefited greatly from the additional help from the rest of the community here at civfanatics. Janboruta, in particular, has been amazing with his art recently. Champa actually really surprised me with how well it did on the workshop. Despite its relative lack of name recognition, it's now my highest rated civ (not counting the Goths). It's also been a while since I released Harappa (which I have a semi-major update planned for in the near future) and I think it shows that I've learned a few new things since then which I was able to put to use with the Sioux and Champa.

Thanks again!

I'm looking forward to finally getting to try the Sioux out this weekend. I saw on Steam today that someone requested a Powhatan Civ, and I've got to second that recommendation. Here's the idea I've been kicking around for them, if you're interested (after Norte Chico, of course).

Cockacoeske of Tsenacommacah (or just The Powhatans if you name-recognition is more your thing).

UNIQUE ABILITY: The Tidewater Empire - When dispersing Barbarian Encampments, may turn the site into a Puppet City. Puppet Cities gain a source of Copper or Pearl.

UNIQUE BUILDING: Quioccasan (Courthouse) - Provides +2 :c5faith:. Sources of Deer, Fish, Copper, and Pearls provide +1 :c5gold:. Can be built in any city.

UNIQUE UNIT: Weroance (Great General) - While garrisoned in an Occupied or Puppet City, halves Unhappiness there. May be expended to build a Quioccasan in the city immediately. Also, there are enough known Weroances to give each a Unique name, if you'd like.

I like those ideas.

Nice ideas Reedstilt (and since they are yours, they are probably very accurate)... and perfectly doable too, some few tweaks here and there might be needed, but the ideas are amazing. If Tomatekh wills it I can help him with the Powhatan like that.

I found a Powhatan flag if it's of any help in creating their icon; I might whip one up later if I get the time.

Here it is:

I think it'd be be better to base the Powhatan icon on Powhatan's Mantle. It's a bit damaged today and the two animals are often reconstructed symmetrically, which is inaccurate. The one to the right is a deer, while the one to the left is a mountain lion.

I'm looking forward to finally getting to try the Sioux out this weekend. I saw on Steam today that someone requested a Powhatan Civ, and I've got to second that recommendation. Here's the idea I've been kicking around for them, if you're interested (after Norte Chico, of course).

Cockacoeske of Tsenacommacah (or just The Powhatans if you name-recognition is more your thing).

UNIQUE ABILITY: The Tidewater Empire - When dispersing Barbarian Encampments, may turn the site into a Puppet City. Puppet Cities gain a source of Copper or Pearl.

UNIQUE BUILDING: Quioccasan (Courthouse) - Provides +2 :c5faith:. Sources of Deer, Fish, Copper, and Pearls provide +1 :c5gold:. Can be built in any city.

UNIQUE UNIT: Weroance (Great General) - While garrisoned in an Occupied or Puppet City, halves Unhappiness there. May be expended to build a Quioccasan in the city immediately. Also, there are enough known Weroances to give each a Unique name, if you'd like.

Those are great ideas!

It takes me a while to start anything new and it might be a while before I'm done with Caral, but I'm sure if I can't get to the Powhatan anytime soon than Leugi probably will (and fill out the rest of North and Central America while he's at it!).

I think it'd be be better to base the Powhatan icon on Powhatan's Mantle. It's a bit damaged today and the two animals are often reconstructed symmetrically, which is inaccurate. The one to the right is a deer, while the one to the left is a mountain lion.

What colors would you recommend?

Tomatekh - I was playing a game with Harappa last night, and I noticed that when I founded my capital, some dummy buildings (Trading Post, I think?) were listed in my building list. One was marked as FREE!, one was not. I figured they're dummy buildings for the UA, but they should be invisible, yes?

Tomatekh - I was playing a game with Harappa last night, and I noticed that when I founded my capital, some dummy buildings (Trading Post, I think?) were listed in my building list. One was marked as FREE!, one was not. I figured they're dummy buildings for the UA, but they should be invisible, yes?

They should be. Harappa is in limbo at the moment as its in need of an update for a few reasons (including bug fixes and I'm also going to change its abilities around). However, that requires me both finding the time and arranging some help with editing the unit model. It's on my list of things to do, but as always, my list of things to do is somewhat long at the moment so it might be a while before I get to it.

Fair enough, thanks!

Done? Here's what I've got:

Top Bottom