Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hi, everyone. In SISIUTIL’S CIVILIZATION IV STRATEGY GUIDE
FOR BEGINNERS I read the following sentence: "Note: Cottages must be worked by a city’s citizens for their revenue to increase."

How do I "work" a cottage? Is this just another way of saying that 10 turns must pass before it turns into a hamlet? Am I reading too much into it?

Thanks. I apologize in advance if I've set a new low for dumbest noob question.

Welcome to CFC :beer:

A "worked" tile is one that the city is actively using. If you double-click on the city to open up the city screen, worked tiles have a white circle around them and show the yields which they provide with larger icons while unworked tiles don't have the circle. If you choose to manage cities yourself, you can click on unworked tiles to force them to be worked instead.

Note that in the normal map view there are also subtle graphical differences between worked and unworked tiles. Worked tiles have little huts and there are animations which, for example, spin the blades of a windmill. Unworked tiles look more "abandoned."

I recently reformmated my computer and starting from scratch. A while ago I would update my civ with the new patches and mods using Tortoise SVN that was recommended to me in this forum. However I can't find where that is anymore and I don't know the address that I need to type to get to the files. Nor do I know enough about this to know if this questions is really dumb. Does anyone know?

ben, which mod(s) were you using? If it's one of the mods which has its own subforum here at CFC, check the dedicated forum for it and look in the sticky threads. Most which offer SVN access have the details listed in a download/installation topic.

ben, which mod(s) were you using? If it's one of the mods which has its own subforum here at CFC, check the dedicated forum for it and look in the sticky threads. Most which offer SVN access have the details listed in a download/installation topic.

The big one I am looking for is the advanced city bar. It says what the city is producing and how long it has left. As well it has a great person bar on the top below the tech. Problem is, I don't know what it is called.

The big one I am looking for is the advanced city bar. It says what the city is producing and how long it has left. As well it has a great person bar on the top below the tech. Problem is, I don't know what it is called.

I think you mean BUG mod

I believe there is an option you can click for the advance city bar that is included in the game and doesn't need BUG or HOF or any other mod. Load the game and click ctrl-O.

While we're on the topic of BUG...

Is it compatible with the most recent patches to BtS 3.17? i.e. with Solver's patch, and the "patch to the patch" which fixes the "AI not bombing" bug?

How about Blue Marble? Compatible with patched 3.17 and with BUG?

(I know, I know, I could probably find the answers elsewhere...:blush: )

BUG (version 3) is fully BTS 3.17 compatible. It works fine with the Unofficial Patches too; just make sure you don't install the Python files included with the Unofficial Patch because the BUG Python files already have the necessary fixes and have many more features too.

AFAIK, Blue Marble also works fine with both 3.17 and BUG but I don't have much experience with BM.

what exactly does blue marble do for you, i'm thinking of getting it but it takes up a lot of space and i'm still not sure what it does?

is it possible to access a list of ALL the posts I have put up?

So this is no doubt a stupid question (and may have been asked before but I don't want to go through 495 pages to check)
How do I add new scenarios? You guys have made some really cool ones and i have no idea how to load them into the game (or if I'm even using the right terminology).
Thanks.

You should check the specifications for each; but as for mods, you usually put all the stuff in a folder with the mod's name (often automatically created) inside your mod folder; something like c:/program files/Civilization IV/.../mods, where ... is nothing of you play just civ, or warlords or beyond the sword if you play it

I'm playing my first game with Permenant Alliances turned on. I have a couple questions about them.

1. If I have a permenant alliance with a civ, do I have to kill them for a conquest victory?

2. Can I have a Permenant Alliance with more than one Civ?

3. If so, what happens if those two civs declare war on each other?

1. If I have a permenant alliance with a civ, do I have to kill them for a conquest victory?
No.

2. Can I have a Permenant Alliance with more than one Civ?
No, not within a game. The only way this is possible is to preset an alliance of more than 2 players before the game starts (ie, use teams, which are effectively the same thing).

3. If so, what happens if those two civs declare war on each other?
This isn't possible. Even when you preset a team of, say, 6 players, the option of war is not possible between these 6 players. That's the whole point of a "permanent" alliance, after all. ;)

Hope this helps.

Thanks Lord Parkin. I think I'll experiment with teams in my next game.

Top Bottom