The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #24 The Celts

Gustavus Rex

Prince
The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #24

Welcome to the Immortal Challenge Lineup. It's time to play again and since the Deity Lineups is far ahead I decided to throw in an extra challenge in between to even out the numbers! :king:

ICL Game #24 - The Celts
Settings: Default + quick combat & quick movement
Map – Arborea Continents: Resources is set to "sparse" and Raging barbarians is turned ON
DLC - All DLC - map packs

Starting location:

Information & rules:

Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.
Links to all recent ICL-games:

All results gets documented in a spreadsheet by Consentient. To help him with his work, please use this headline tXXX victory-type in your finishing post. Example: t210 DV

Link to ICL Spreadsheet

Attachments

• ICL #24 The Celts.Civ5Save
    896.1 KB · Views: 225
Arborea is a map covered with forest.

More details:
Spoiler :
I picked big continents and put resources to sparse. Sparse usually means less different kind of luxuries in one place and less quantities of strategic resources.

I have only scouted around for 30ish turns and will play along myself. From what I have seen I have reasons to believe that this is will be a hard and challenging map.

One word: YAY!

my favorite civ so far (not too OP, but yet strong enough to get a solid early game and I love the ceilidh halls... +3 is a lot...)

Gonna take a look if Petra is worth it and then, depending on that, change my gameplan accordingly.

Raging barbs however is rather annoying but on immortal I don't think we'll have any barb problems (on deity barbs get swordsmen while you only have archers and that makes clearing camps a pain).

Early Questions:
Can someone explain how an Arborea map works (besides the forest aspect). How does it differ from Archipelago?
(Example of map types: http://imgur.com/a/pMGtM)

What's the calculation of faith earned for killing units with the UU Pictish Warrior?

Early Questions:
Can someone explain how an Arborea map works (besides the forest aspect). How does it differ from Archipelago?
(Example of map types: http://imgur.com/a/pMGtM)

What's the calculation of faith earned for killing units with the UU Pictish Warrior?

Arborea is a map with ton of trees. The layout depends on options, can be continents, islands or pangea.
Faith from pictish is half the target strength.

This map is terrible, but I will play it anyway to try domination with Piety.

Arborea is a map with ton of trees. The layout depends on options, can be continents, islands or pangea.
Faith from pictish is half the target strength.

Thank again Acken.

Do Pictish Warriors keep their faith generating abilities when upgraded?

Spoiler :
Tried the worker first + God King --> wonders gambit.
worker, scout, granary, worker, great library. :lol: was my build order.

Raging barbs meant that I had to run my workers around and my scout had to babysit workers so almost no exploring at all... all in all... I don't really like raging barbs that much (still I got a free worker from barbs so I guess that thing worked out for me)

This desert is a little too flat for Petra... or at least for Petra beeline. Decided I'd rather have the tons of forest (and hence wonders) up north.

The "ahhhh" moment you realize the whole catch of the map... I was going to say it didn't seem like a particularly difficult map to me then I saw the all-too-familiar colors of brown and white. God King ftw.

Wonderwhoring (and not daring to expand) under pressure from a forward settle. KB style! Despite not having a valid target (maybe except CS) to bribe.

The inevitable (lost maybe 4 CBs in the war) happened, but managed to fend off a carpet of units (thankfully only saw one impi) (ToA's 10% getting a lot of mileage here) and raze that city that was blocking the coast I wanted to settle earlier.

After the war... notice that Shaka (and I don't consider him the most educated of all the leaders anyway) does not know the meaning of "negotiate".

Considering whether or not to punish Shaka with Xbows or to keep wonderwhoring (used GE on Notre Dame because luxes are hard to find on this map)

btw... Alex the turn I met him... (coveting what he can't even reach... our empires are miles apart... oh well... if Shaka expands south a bit more maybe they'll keep each other busy)

btw I think Pictishes still keep their foreign land bonus and no movement cost to pillage upgrade, so they would make excellent lancers who basically can pillage like crazy.

I already killed Shaka by that turn, lol. But I am very late with science, and it's going to take forever to go try take out Alex and Catherine through the woods. Piety sucked big time with this terrain.

This turned out to be a very ridiculous and unique game for me...

Spoiler :
I decided to play safe and slow and try to avoid Shaka and the others. I went 2 city tradition. Got great library for a fast NC then settled an expo by coastline. I managed to chop Petra in my second city.

Bla, bla, bla... t140ish Shaka made peace with Alex and there were really nothing I could do to keep him away. I had somewhat predicted this and had a decent army and even got a Castle up in my captial. I also skipped religion to get that 30+ range combat stuff... My capital was 17pop by this point...

Shakas Impis went trough my army like butter but could do nothing against my capital. Now the war has kept going for over 50 turns and there keeps coming Impis. I can do quick army in my Petra city but there is no point. The Impis kill them instantly.

My capital is down to 10 pop since there is barley no tiles to work. Meanwhile I starve I still manage build guilds and wonders. It's pretty sick really. Sooner or later I reach a tech that can return fire but for now I seem stuck with this never ending carpet of doooooooom!

t194 picture:

Spoiler :

I still think I can win though! But I'm really not up for it at the moment.. Nice to know castle has such good effect against Impis. I never went that path before.

I already killed Shaka by that turn, lol. But I am very late with science, and it's going to take forever to go try take out Alex and Catherine through the woods. Piety sucked big time with this terrain.

Thing with that guy is that, his cities are often small, underdeveloped, and wonderless, so you gain almost nothing (except maybe peace of mind) in killing him.

I was going for Domination in the first place, so it made sense. I even picked up Religious Fervor Reformation to buy Industrial Era units... I am just behind the normal schedule, and this map feels like a chore.

I abandoned my game since I can't bring myself to continue... It just wasn't fun, the brown trees look awful and seeing the interest of this thread you all seem to agree! I might try to play this again some rainy day if I forget how boring this was.

I will post a new challenge in a couple of days. How about something watery for a change?

If you have a nice map, please mail it to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com - just remember that the map packs need to be off!

I abandoned my game since I can't bring myself to continue... It just wasn't fun, the brown trees look awful and seeing the interest of this thread you all seem to agree! I might try to play this again some rainy day if I forget how boring this was.

I will post a new challenge in a couple of days. How about something watery for a change?

If you have a nice map, please mail it to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com - just remember that the map packs need to be off!

Well I actually finished it...

on immortal I don't bribe or use GM concerts, GS bulbs, etc. EVER, just to give AI a handicap (although I would've liked to bribe since Shaka is my only trading partner for half the game and he doesn't have any qualms about losing all of his caravans when he DoWs, strangely enough... most other AIs wait until they can send their caravans elsewhere), and I plant every GS but being stuck on 2 cities (the area is quite horrible and luxes are scarce so really I didn't want to expand or conquer) my tech (and hence finish time) was quite horrible.
Fought 4 wars with Shaka, each time kicking his ass but not conquering anything, taking gold in peace deals instead until modern where he got his ass whooped by other neighbors.

T120ish

I totally disagree, Gustavus! :)

This gave me an opportunity to think completely outside the box and go for a unique strategy.
Spoiler :
After 2 city NC and racing through Honor with lots of barb hunting, I started spamming cities with Church Property + Pagodas + God of War + Jesuit Education, purposely going into unhappiness so more barbs appear = more culture + more faith. My Picts quickly filled out their promotions and in groups can take down the barb pikemen. Not to mention they made short work of Shaka and Alex. I want to annihilate Cathy too so when the other continent turns up they just find a mad load of Picts killing barbarians and look favourably on my 'problem with the natives' and not think I'm genocidal.

Having 20+ cities will mean I can probably do wide culture quite nicely. I may even take my super upgraded army to the other continent and do the same thing there.

Easily the bloodiest stuff ever. Wish I'd done an LP, now.

How do people get Jesuit Education? Like, I think I have never been able to get it.

Top Bottom