The Deity Challenge Line-up #38 - Alexander the Great

I'll either get DomV or DiploV only since it feels natural. I'm not very good with XB rushes so I might just do peace until I get arty, not sure yet.
Spoiler :
I feel that the spots south of starting position are too poor for a city, so I settled 2 expos to the east, one near the truffle close to Maya, the other near the wheat in the desert between mountains. May rush north maybe with some allies and eliminate Germany as he forward settled me fairly early on and it could cause problems later on.

Managed to burn and capture the city immediately north of Athens, now pushing north to his capital.

I will read up Consentient's domination guide and try it his way. Whenever I have the time...

Spoiler :

In my game, Poland wiped out the Mayans, Rome took out Germany kind of easily and Huns stomped the Celts. They all proceeded to snowball immensely

@beetle

After Scouts and a Monument, what are you building that couldn't be Settlers?

When did you found your 3rd city?

After Scouts and a Monument, what are you building that couldn't be Settlers?

I went tradition, and hit an early culture ruin, so BO was scout, scout, shrine, settler -- and I interrupted the shrine as soon as I hit pop 3. Still too late to stop the forward settling. And I had not given up an embassy either.

But I reloaded even further back and parked the scout on the spot, so I got my forth city that way.

Yeah that works generally well. If you know the exact tile that the AI wants to settle, claim it and he will move elsewhere and not bother settling in he area

I went tradition, and hit an early culture ruin, so BO was scout, scout, shrine, settler -- and I interrupted the shrine as soon as I hit pop 3. Still too late to stop the forward settling. And I had not given up an embassy either.

But I reloaded even further back and parked the scout on the spot, so I got my forth city that way.

Wasn't there a good pantheon ? I wouldn't stop the shrine otherwise. Also adding a single archer is sometimes a good idea if there are multiple camps around.

Edit: Ha if you wanted to stop a forward settle then the archer is often even better. Or use scouts and warrior too. But this require to know the forward settle is coming which is pretty difficult that early.

Wasn't there a good pantheon?

First time through I did not stop the shrine, this was shenanigans. Desert Folklore went fast in my games. There is earth mother with the Iron and the one for incense, but there is only a couple patched of each. I got to about 180 faith before the last religion went in both my games.

Spoiler :

If you beeline your scouts towards the religious CS, you can get a pantheon on turn 5. I was incredibly lucky to have pulled that off

Edit: Ha if you wanted to stop a forward settle then the archer is often even better. Or use scouts and warrior too. But this require to know the forward settle is coming which is pretty difficult that early.

I believe this is the exact reason that you play for the forward settle in every game. Start with 2-3 scouts and the archers if you like and if you have a close neighbor it is time to pester and take away the spots that the AI wants to settle. This has a very high rate of success and I have seen players do it very well on LPs. Elceeplaysciv is one of the players that comes to mind who demonstrates this. He has a Poland game from awhile back where he talks about it.

You might have a game from time to time when you don't stop the forward settle but this is a very good thing anyway, since you will have TR bait or you will have a very easy city to start up the War Machine!

Now if you have no close neighbors... it is time to use the scouts for scouting and stealing workers. Archers onward to the barb quests. Either way you look at it, Scouts and Archers are a very good plan.

T185 Dom as I finally got myself back into the game.

Spoiler :

Settled on site, found gazillion ruins but after getting 4 maps in a row I started to wonder if quality is preferable to quantity. DoWed Pacal T13 for recruitment but only manged to get a 2nd worker ~T30 hence I also DoWed Bismarck on T40 to get one from. Tons of land but no one willing to work on it but Alex's relationship with the CSs is cheezy enough by default so I decided to leave them in peace.

DoF with Pacal soon after peace and to my surprise Casimir offered one as well. Early Desert Folklore from a ruin and I managed a religion but Poland's religious exploits were superior to mine so some cash & few Pagodas was what I got out of it.
4C Liberty were the 4th was dumped in the middle of Warsaw-Palenque-Tikal triangle just for the kicks. It delayed the T84 NC quite a bit and took far too much time to get going due to lack of workers.
Liberty filled T89 -> planted a GS, T92 Oracle which is some sort of record when Pacal is around and I originally started to build it for the money - never thought I'd actually get it.

Bism went Honor so a proper war inevitable but since nobody had money and only Cathy GPT any sort of CB rush wasn't an option though I DoWed Bism few turns before T102 Machinery just to have something to do and get at least some xp.
Munich didn't take much and T104 Berlin even less as Attila's mighty army more than mere spectator. Sadly Berlin was the last of German cities. Casimir turned hostile right away so I started the first of many across the globe marches & DoWed. T108 Pacal was the 1st in Rene but I abandoned my spy in Athens - few managed to steal from and eventually it killed a Hunnic spy but fairly uneventful spygame.
Late T118 Education but the cities weren't that large anyway so all Unis were hard built.

Warsaw didn't have too much of resistance as Cathy joined my holiday in Poland the problem was getting anything but white peace and all I got was few GPT but I didn't want the other cities either. Meanwhile Attila was taking a keen interest in Berlin's borderline so I paid him to visit Boudicca instead and marched through the lands again.
Neither was AC happy with my actions but my road through Ife wasn't ready yet. Attila actually went away so I offered him more stuff and he gladly DoWed AC with me T137. Lost few Pikes but luckily he was more interested in using Trebuchets than other units. Couldn't keep Rome T145 the 1st time but like the other capitals it didn't have anything useful so it didn't bother me. It bothered the others though as they begin to question my unique view on pacifism. This was further the hot topic of global discussion when I few turns later took the last Roman city to get access to Moscow.

After that most of the troops went to Attila's Court and the man himself wasn't too surprised to see my units beside his crappy camp. Once again endless Trebuchets and not much else as him like few others were relying on my horse breeding and once the supply didn't meet the demand much of the army turned into salami over night.
After AC I also took Saint-Nazaire to have a decent pathway to Edinburgh especially as it had the GW but after taking few extra potshot the 1st hatch of XBows had range & logistics so this potential issue disappeared along with Hunnic pride.

Somehow I also managed to build LToP T151 and took a GE which was later used for Brandenburg, needlessly might I add. At this point it also became clear that Moscow wasn't within reach of XBows without chopping half of Siberia first so I switched the tech path to Dynamite which I bulbed T175.

Too many crappy cities and no Ideology in sight I delayed the capture of Edinburgh somewhat, bombed Pacal few times to get a road access from Warsaw to Athens and bombed Moscow's surroundings 3 times to get more tiles for my Arties. Cathy wasn't pleased but didn't DoW either and Pacal's views were on the matter were obsolete.

T182 Edinburgh, T185 Palenque just before Cathy was about to catch it and Moscow fell in 2 turns T185 as well.

After finishing Liberty left side of Honor, 2 in Rationalism and Honor filled few turns before the end.
Not a clue what cultural situation was but no one had an ideology yet, Cathy was 8 techs ahead of me but that didn't have any effect either - one of those games were one can cruise doing whatever and the rest are just waiting to get overran at some point. Only very few wars, mostly paid or started by me Attila having by far the largest army Cathy leading in everything else.
No major happiness issues most of the time but lack of money was annoying if nothing else.

But this require to know the forward settle is coming which is pretty difficult that early.

That city...
Spoiler :
Munich
Am I correct that's the AI's initial extra settler? So, left to its own devices, the AI would put eight titles between that city and the AI cap to plant four tiles from my cap? Crazy!

T 297 Diplo Victory

Found some free time to mess about. Nothing special but I did manage a 4 city Tradition since it is the safest approach. I built 2 scouts to get out with my warrior and spawn bust for the land. Horrible to the south but not bad north. I suppose more horses south but oh well. I missed Germany stealing my north luxury but oh well again. I stole his settler and could of had another but didn't want a second war without an army. I stole a Roman Worker and Settler as well.

I haven't been able to do much with the CS's but that is for now, I suppose. Everyone is friendly but if they decide to gang up on me I would be dead since I have no real army except for a free Cat and I rushed an Archer and the Warrior is off scouting somewhere near Russia and Celtic land.

My NC was late around 92 but Education online around 101 and the tech rate is pretty close now for me. 3 Caravans of food to the Capital. Poland is the Leader and I'm hoping to steal Banking in ten turns. All Workshops and Universities are up and running. Planted the first GS and held back on my Writers Guild to time out Rationalism. Astronomy first since 2 Mountains and Rationalism in 3 turns.

After Turn 200 I started to get lazy and lost direction. I knew I wanted to have some fun with wars and after I started to smash Poland I settled for Diplo Victory since it is Alex. I teched to Sats and lower tree before going to the top of the tree. I didn't have to sell any buildings for gold but I did disband the troops for just enough to get that last CS and Pacal gave me four votes and helped me win before Globalization.

Attachments

• Alex 01.jpg
    Alex 01.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Alex 200.jpg
    Alex 200.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 297 Diplo.jpg
    297 Diplo.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 87
T283 Dom V

Pretty terrible victory time as I still don't know how to do XB rush quick, and it slowed down my science and delayed my artillery.

Spoiler :

3 cities Honor start. Late Philosophy after Construction detour, and late Education after Machinery detour. Later policies into Patronage opener and Commerce + Autocracy.

Germany forward settled me with 2 cities and later DoW me when my CB army was training elsewhere. Reloaded to bribe him to fight Rome to avoid fighting him early. When XB was ready, joined Huns to to fight Germany, while Huns eliminated Germany's last city. Next was probably my first mistake, I should've used the XB army to take Huns out, but I waited and did nothing until getting arty.

When I got artillery + gatling, took the 2 Mayan cities which contains many wonders and eliminated them along the way. Problem was Poland was also fighting them and his units keep blocking my units and I took a long time to move my units in range. When I took his 2 cities, world denounced me as I eliminated them.

After Maya, went around the world to eliminate Rome, by this time I have most CS allied to me (except the ones close to Poland which were impossible) and CS would deal the last blow to Rome's last city, helps keeping my happiness up at this point.

DoW Huns next and easily took his capital, and my CS ally would take Edinburgh from Huns (still counts for victory since CS controlled capitals are excluded from the VC). One of the problem with this order of attacking is the long distance to travel, which probably delayed attacking the next civ by at least 10 turns. Also, it might be faster to split my army and attack Rome and Huns at the same time as they were both easy.

Poland and Russia was at war with each other which slows both their science and they were both an era ahead of me. When I have sufficient air defense and landships/tanks, finally DoW Poland. Around this time Poland captured Moscow and made peace with Russia. I did not anticipate this and lost many units as I don't have enough anti-air. Several turns after capturing Warsaw and most of the other Polish cities around his capital, game ended unexpectedly without me capturing Moscow due to another CS that captured it from Poland.

Somehow having 2 CS capture capitals was fitting for Alexander.

Another 4 turns and I would win by Diplo V since I controlled Forbidden Palace, with world's religion, and world ideology and all but 2 CS allied. World entered atomic early since I eliminated every civ that wasn't atomic. Also I never got to play around with gunboat diplomacy, since the other civ that went autocracy obviously took that also and I never had an army score higher than his and he had CS in the 300-400 influence range.

Attachments

• 2015-08-22_00001.jpg
    2015-08-22_00001.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 98
So much replaying to trying and get everything on line in time. Most frustrating thing was WC vote 20 turns earlier: Turn 285, says I need 34 votes for world leader — just what I have! Then T286 says no leader chosen, 36 votes needed. I had Forbidden Palace, all the CS, and World Religion. Globalization was not online though.

As compared to my previous game, I had an extra city, and one second only to the cap. So disrupting the forward-settle was important. Also this time I signed no RAs with the runaway, and constant bribes to keep her at war w/ #2 AI. Still, she was one part away from SV. So lots different on my part, but I only delayed her SV by a dozen turns!

Attachments

• civ5ss-dcl38-t308dv.jpg
    civ5ss-dcl38-t308dv.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 80
Nice game!

T285 is unusual not to have Globalization. I have it as late as 260 consistently and on a stronger science game, well before 230ish. Should have gone for the World Ideology as well

Turn 285, says I need 34 votes for world leader — just what I have! Then T286 says no leader chosen, 36 votes needed.

I only counted 12 CS in your screen shot.
For each annexed CS, the number of votes required decreases by 1.
The default 16 CS UN vote requires 40 votes.

That means 4 CS was annexed, so you needed 36. The likely explanation was the AI liberated some CS during their turn.

4 base + 2 from each CS (total of 32) + 2 as host = 38
that means you need 2 additional votes from FP/WR/WI if UN is the first vote

In your case I only counted you would have 34 votes
(4 + 2*12 + 2) + 2 + 2 = 34

Pretty sure you would never have won if it indeed only requires 34 votes, as that meant 6 CS were annexed. (4 + 2*10 + 2) + 2 + 2 = 30, that doesn't add up correctly.

T185 Dom as I finally got myself back into the game.

Spoiler :

Settled on site, found gazillion ruins but after getting 4 maps in a row I started to wonder if quality is preferable to quantity. DoWed Pacal T13 for recruitment but only manged to get a 2nd worker ~T30 hence I also DoWed Bismarck on T40 to get one from. Tons of land but no one willing to work on it but Alex's relationship with the CSs is cheezy enough by default so I decided to leave them in peace.

DoF with Pacal soon after peace and to my surprise Casimir offered one as well. Early Desert Folklore from a ruin and I managed a religion but Poland's religious exploits were superior to mine so some cash & few Pagodas was what I got out of it.
4C Liberty were the 4th was dumped in the middle of Warsaw-Palenque-Tikal triangle just for the kicks. It delayed the T84 NC quite a bit and took far too much time to get going due to lack of workers.
Liberty filled T89 -> planted a GS, T92 Oracle which is some sort of record when Pacal is around and I originally started to build it for the money - never thought I'd actually get it.

Bism went Honor so a proper war inevitable but since nobody had money and only Cathy GPT any sort of CB rush wasn't an option though I DoWed Bism few turns before T102 Machinery just to have something to do and get at least some xp.
Munich didn't take much and T104 Berlin even less as Attila's mighty army more than mere spectator. Sadly Berlin was the last of German cities. Casimir turned hostile right away so I started the first of many across the globe marches & DoWed. T108 Pacal was the 1st in Rene but I abandoned my spy in Athens - few managed to steal from and eventually it killed a Hunnic spy but fairly uneventful spygame.
Late T118 Education but the cities weren't that large anyway so all Unis were hard built.

Warsaw didn't have too much of resistance as Cathy joined my holiday in Poland the problem was getting anything but white peace and all I got was few GPT but I didn't want the other cities either. Meanwhile Attila was taking a keen interest in Berlin's borderline so I paid him to visit Boudicca instead and marched through the lands again.
Neither was AC happy with my actions but my road through Ife wasn't ready yet. Attila actually went away so I offered him more stuff and he gladly DoWed AC with me T137. Lost few Pikes but luckily he was more interested in using Trebuchets than other units. Couldn't keep Rome T145 the 1st time but like the other capitals it didn't have anything useful so it didn't bother me. It bothered the others though as they begin to question my unique view on pacifism. This was further the hot topic of global discussion when I few turns later took the last Roman city to get access to Moscow.

After that most of the troops went to Attila's Court and the man himself wasn't too surprised to see my units beside his crappy camp. Once again endless Trebuchets and not much else as him like few others were relying on my horse breeding and once the supply didn't meet the demand much of the army turned into salami over night.
After AC I also took Saint-Nazaire to have a decent pathway to Edinburgh especially as it had the GW but after taking few extra potshot the 1st hatch of XBows had range & logistics so this potential issue disappeared along with Hunnic pride.

Somehow I also managed to build LToP T151 and took a GE which was later used for Brandenburg, needlessly might I add. At this point it also became clear that Moscow wasn't within reach of XBows without chopping half of Siberia first so I switched the tech path to Dynamite which I bulbed T175.

Too many crappy cities and no Ideology in sight I delayed the capture of Edinburgh somewhat, bombed Pacal few times to get a road access from Warsaw to Athens and bombed Moscow's surroundings 3 times to get more tiles for my Arties. Cathy wasn't pleased but didn't DoW either and Pacal's views were on the matter were obsolete.

T182 Edinburgh, T185 Palenque just before Cathy was about to catch it and Moscow fell in 2 turns T185 as well.

After finishing Liberty left side of Honor, 2 in Rationalism and Honor filled few turns before the end.
Not a clue what cultural situation was but no one had an ideology yet, Cathy was 8 techs ahead of me but that didn't have any effect either - one of those games were one can cruise doing whatever and the rest are just waiting to get overran at some point. Only very few wars, mostly paid or started by me Attila having by far the largest army Cathy leading in everything else.
No major happiness issues most of the time but lack of money was annoying if nothing else.

Hey good to see you around.

T285 is unusual not to have Globalization. I have it as late as 260 consistently and on a stronger science game, well before 230ish. Should have gone for the World Ideology as well

I like my diplo games to be robust, so they start as with SV and I use Ratty finisher for Satellites, then start the GS bulb fest 8 turns later. But I never got labs online (like I usually would, i.e., early) because of the heavy competition for SoL and Hubble.

Having World Ideology would have put me over. Unfortunately I was late locking up the CS. I submitted World Religion as soon I had the votes to force it through. World Ideology was 20 turns later, but after T285.

But missing the first vote is really bothering me, so I will replay the last 50+ turns anyway...

I like my diplo games to be robust, so they start like SV and I use Ratty finisher for Satilites, then start the GS bulb fest 8 turns later. But I never got labs online (like I usually would, i.e., early) because of the heavy competition for SoL and Hubble.

But missing the first vote is really bothering me, so I will replay the last 50+ turns anyway...

That means 4 CS was annexed, so you needed 36.

I went back to my T285 save. I must have miss-read the screen.

Why would you need Sats (and Hubble) for a Diplo win? I usually tech to around Radar, then start bulbing to Ecology. I use Oxford on Telecommunications and Ratio finisher on Globalization. Works every time

Top Bottom