Arison's Mythologies

Oh he looks interesting, now I want to see Arison's design for it.

UA: Conversion to the Faith: You may change your religion whenever you conquer a city.

UU: Chieftain: Unlike the Great General it replaces, the Chieftain also has a chance(like, 2%) to spawn when you acquire new territory, and grants gold per turn if in rival territory.

UU: Raiding Boat: Unlike the Privateer it replaces, the Raiding Boat is unlocked at Sailing, but has -2 movement, can't travel over oceans and can't be upgraded.

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm, also Notmandy under Rollo. Who dat?

It's not. Because the Viking's made it across to Russia and stuff and the Muslim people's of the time also made it there, they traded, exchanged traditions and culture, and the most common inscription found on Viking coins is 'There is no god but Allah'. More correctly, 'þar syna engi guð eða Allah' or something thereabouts.

If you're talking about the other thing I said, I am serious about making the religion Forn Sidr.

UA: Conversion to the Faith: You may change your religion whenever you conquer a city.

UU: Chieftain: Unlike the Great General it replaces, the Chieftain also has a chance(like, 2%) to spawn when you acquire new territory, and grants gold per turn if in rival territory.

UU: Raiding Boat: Unlike the Privateer it replaces, the Raiding Boat is unlocked at Sailing, but has -2 movement, can't travel over oceans and can't be upgraded.

Oh this design! Yeah I'm quite a fan of it, know I want to play it!

It's not. Because the Viking's made it across to Russia and stuff and the Muslim people's of the time also made it there, they traded, exchanged traditions and culture, and the most common inscription found on Viking coins is 'There is no god but Allah'. More correctly, 'þar syna engi guð eða Allah' or something thereabouts.

If you're talking about the other thing I said, I am serious about making the religion Forn Sidr.

That's interesting, who minted the coins though? The Muslims because if it was the other way around that wouldn't make sense. I know you're serious about Forn Sidr but how are you going to do it? Since you can only have Forn Sidr if you have HR enabled.

That's interesting, who minted the coins though? The Muslims because if it was the other way around that wouldn't make sense. I know you're serious about Forn Sidr but how are you going to do it? Since you can only have Forn Sidr if you have HR enabled.

I think the Vikings minted the coins because some of them would have adopted Islam and then minted their coins and then it would have just spread, considering that would be the most commonly Viking minted coins. The other Vikings wouldn't have needed to mint their own coins because they would have just raided for them, so the only Viking minted coins would have been made by the ones converted to Islam and the non-converted Vikings around there. Also, Islam doesn't need HR.

I think the Vikings minted the coins because some of them would have adopted Islam and then minted their coins and then it would have just spread, considering that would be the most commonly Viking minted coins. The other Vikings wouldn't have needed to mint their own coins because they would have just raided for them, so the only Viking minted coins would have been made by the ones converted to Islam and the non-converted Vikings around there. Also, Islam doesn't need HR.

Okay that makes sense, but I just have never heard of it before. You'd you hear it from? Yeah I know you don't need HR for Islam, but you need HR if you want Forn Sidr for your civ.

You'd you hear it from? Yeah I know you don't need HR for Islam, but you need HR if you want Forn Sidr for your civ.

Do you mean Who'd I hear it from. If so, it's from QI, which is meticulously researched and verified, so I trust it. It's a nice little fact about it, and I honestl think if the Christians hadn't been so prevalent in Europe, the Norse cultures would have become Islamic. It would be a cool idea to explore, actually. Nordic Islam.

About the religion thingy, I was going to make Islam the backup religion in case there was no HR with it.

Do you mean Who'd I hear it from. If so, it's from QI, which is meticulously researched and verified, so I trust it. It's a nice little fact about it, and I honestl think if the Christians hadn't been so prevalent in Europe, the Norse cultures would have become Islamic. It would be a cool idea to explore, actually. Nordic Islam.

About the religion thingy, I was going to make Islam the backup religion in case there was no HR with it.

I was meant to write Where'd but who'd works as well. QI? The game show or something else? Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they did convert, the Russian would still prove interesting though. Oh okay that makes sense.

I was meant to write Where'd but who'd works as well. QI? The game show or something else? Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they did convert, the Russian would still prove interesting though. Oh okay that makes sense.

Yeah, the game show. Also, could you help me get a working design for the Turkic mythologies?

Okay that makes sense, but I just have never heard of it before. You'd you hear it from? Yeah I know you don't need HR for Islam, but you need HR if you want Forn Sidr for your civ.

If I remember my Viking history correctly, while the Danish Vikings harassed modern day England, France, and Germany and the Norwegian (or Norse) Vikings explored modern day Northern Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, and Northeast Canada, the Swedish Vikings sailed down the rivers of modern day Russia (especially the Volga) all the way to the Black Sea where they traded with the Greeks and Arabs. Although they're technically works of fiction, some evidence of this can be found in the Michael Crichton novel, Eaters of the Dead, and in the movie based on it, The 13th Warrior, which are loosely based on historical accounts.

Yeah, the game show. Also, could you help me get a working design for the Turkic mythologies?

Oh it is from the game show, low chance of this but do you know which episode it is from? Yeah of course! What do you need me to find? Stuff about Tengri and Uçmak.

If I remember my Viking history correctly, while the Danish Vikings harassed modern day England, France, and Germany and the Norwegian (or Norse) Vikings explored modern day Northern Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, and Northeast Canada, the Swedish Vikings sailed down the rivers of modern day Russia (especially the Volga) all the way to the Black Sea where they traded with the Greeks and Arabs. Although they're technically works of fiction, some evidence of this can be found in the Michael Crichton novel, Eaters of the Dead, and in the movie based on it, The 13th Warrior, which are loosely based on historical accounts.

Yeah you are more or less correct. The sailed down the Volga and the other rivers into the Black Sea and traded worth the people there. They may or may have not snatched a few Slavs and Turks along the way and use them as slaves, they where famous within the markets of Cobstantinople and brought great wealth back home to Scandinavia. There were also the Finish Vikings and the Ushkuiniks (Novgorodian pirates that lived a Viking lifestyle) that plagued the White Sea and the nearby seas.

Oh it is from the game show, low chance of this but do you know which episode it is from? Yeah of course! What do you need me to find? Stuff about Tengri and Uçmak.

Sorry, I don't, but if you could come up with a UA or at least a trait/trait combination to base it off of it would so much easier. Thanks.

Ok guys, tell me if you'd play this one:

Kingdom of the Oceans
Leader: Poseidon

UA: God of the Seas: You may settle cities on Coastal tiles. Your ranged units may attack when embarked, and all units gain a 100% attack bonus when on water. All units may embark immediately.

UU: Hippocampus Warrior: Unlike the Horseman it replaces, the Hippocampus Warrior is a naval unit that can cross oceans and gains +1.

UB: Temple of Poseidon: Unlike the Temple it replaces, the Temple of Poseidon grants +100% production from ocean and coastal tiles within workable city limits and increases the ranged damage it is built in by 5% for every ocean and coastal tile within city limits (up to 50%)

Sorry, I don't, but if you could come up with a UA or at least a trait/trait combination to base it off of it would so much easier. Thanks.

Yeah that's okay, I didn't expect you to remember. So give you a basic theme and you can work of the rest? Okay then, I'm guessing I'm doing Tengri since he's the main? I might as well do Erkilhan as well as a counter to Tengri. Like what you did with the Aesir and the Vanir.

Ok guys, tell me if you'd play this one:

Kingdom of the Oceans

Oh I like the look of this design, some questions though. One how come only embarked range units an attack? Two with the Hippocampus, how strong is it and +1 what? With the Temple of Poseidon what do you mean by +100% production on ocean and coastal tiles?

Someone elsewhere on this forum mentioned founding a religion might be sacrilegious (I think Islam or something). It's just a game, true, but why have the mythological people found named religions? Why should the Aesir follow the tenets of Shinto or the Tuatha de Danaan expouse the one true Zoroastrian faith? Why label at all?

I'd have to think more upon this, but conceivably you could found Monotheism, Pantheism, Pantheonism, and so forth without naming them existing or historical regional religions. Perhaps a simple generic symbol for each given Great Prophet's founding faith will do, such as a sun figure, a bird figure, a sword figure, a dragon figure, a moon figure, because such symbols cross cultural boundaries and require no suspension of disbelief.

It will be the aspects of those religions that make them unique and distinguishable. A holy warrior need not be specifically a Norse jomsviking, a Christian knight, or an Islamic ghazi. The culture and technology will determine how the Holy Warrior plays out, not the named religion, itself.

And based on my earlier posting, a city may be wholly given to one set belief or it may feature many, depending on missionary actions and trade routes. A given city may be the Holy City for Chthonicism, but also have War Cult of Soldiers, Fertility Festivities, and Sea Worship also present. A Chthonic inquisitor may drive the other cults out, or a Great Prophet of Peace and Love may come by and turn the whole city upside down.

And having a founded "religion" be called one thing, yet feature seemingly unrelated traits, such as a Lord of the Harvest able to build pre-industrial units with Faith (pointing to a war god of some sort), just realize that there is a historical precedent for that. The Vikings glorified battle, but the most beloved god among the Norse gods was Baldr, Lord of Light and Peace (indeed, the only one to come back after Ragnarok), and Apollo had many attributes that varied among the ancient Greeks -- sometimes he was just who he was (god of poetry, prophecy, and archery, and a few other things) and at other times he had the attributes of other gods and a name change to go with it (Phoebus when a sun god, or a god of healing instead of Aesclepius, or a patron of shepherds instead of Pan, you get the idea). So it's not beyond the pale to find a founded faith seemingly representing one ideal (such as redemption from sin and forgiveness) yet having attributes of another morality (such as waging holy war or making wealthy merchant princes the Representative of the Son of God on Earth).

Oh I like the look of this design, some questions though. One how come only embarked range units an attack? Two with the Hippocampus, how strong is it and +1 what? With the Temple of Poseidon what do you mean by +100% production on ocean and coastal tiles?

The embarked ranged thing is that embarked ranged units, because they normally can't, can also attack, and the Hippocampus Warrior is just a Horseman that's naval rather than land, and I mean to type +1 movement. The temple of Poseidon grants +100 food or luxury resource production within the city borders.

Someone elsewhere on this forum mentioned founding a religion might be sacrilegious (I think Islam or something). It's just a game, true, but why have the mythological people found named religions? Why should the Aesir follow the tenets of Shinto or the Tuatha de Danaan expouse the one true Zoroastrian faith? Why label at all?

I'd have to think more upon this, but conceivably you could found Monotheism, Pantheism, Pantheonism, and so forth without naming them existing or historical regional religions. Perhaps a simple generic symbol for each given Great Prophet's founding faith will do, such as a sun figure, a bird figure, a sword figure, a dragon figure, a moon figure, because such symbols cross cultural boundaries and require no suspension of disbelief.

It will be the aspects of those religions that make them unique and distinguishable. A holy warrior need not be specifically a Norse jomsviking, a Christian knight, or an Islamic ghazi. The culture and technology will determine how the Holy Warrior plays out, not the named religion, itself.

Actually, that would be fairly easy to do. The Viking religion would be, hmm... Ragnarok! With a little wolf emblem, and the Danann one would have a pillar emblem and be called, um, I'll get back to that one. Thank's for this. It would make it a whole lot easier to not offend people, but I fear coding might have to pay the price. Thank god the civ under Tengri will have an obvious religion.

Top Bottom