Arison's Mythologies

The embarked ranged thing is that embarked ranged units, because they normally can't, can also attack, and the Hippocampus Warrior is just a Horseman that's naval rather than land, and I mean to type +1 movement. The temple of Poseidon grants +100 food or luxury resource production within the city borders.

Oh wait can melee units attack while embarked? Okay then that makes sense! AH so just a Horseman that's naval and has +1 movement, cool! I'm still confused with the Temple, having a bit of a brain fart moment.

Actually, that would be fairly easy to do. The Viking religion would be, hmm... Ragnarok! With a little wolf emblem, and the Danann one would have a pillar emblem and be called, um, I'll get back to that one. Thank's for this. It would make it a whole lot easier to not offend people, but I fear coding might have to pay the price. Thank god the civ under Tengri will have an obvious religion.

Yeah Ragnarok would probably be fine for the Aiser and Vanir, yeah Tengri will be easy! The thing though is, there' Tengri and then there's Tengri. So we can make two different Tengri designs. Which I am up for!

(for @Erebras to see)

Someone elsewhere on this forum mentioned founding a religion might be sacrilegious (I think Islam or something). It's just a game, true, but why have the mythological people found named religions? Why should the Aesir follow the tenets of Shinto or the Tuatha de Danaan expouse the one true Zoroastrian faith? Why label at all?

No you seem to have been confused with what Klisz said, he didn't say founding a religion (and in this case Islam) is sacrilegious. But a pantheon of gods worshiping one is sacrilegious (for obvious reasons), it's also ironic in a way. Why do the panthons have to found irl faiths? Because that is all that is available in game! Hell even in a normal civ game founding irl faiths doesn't make sense since they are from our world and not theirs. Society and culture and ideals and thoughts are all different to ours. But yeah I see what yo are saying.

Also the other stuff you said as well is great! Mod material definitely, and I more or less agree with what you are saying. Again the only reason we are giving these civs irl faiths is because, unless we want to mode our own faiths in (like what JFD did with the Nri) that is all that is available.

Also @Arison, Kök Tengri design/theme is on it's way! Also could this be the civ's symbol since it is the word Tengri written in Old Turkic? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengri#/media/File:Orkhon.svg

Oh wait can melee units attack while embarked? Okay then that makes sense! AH so just a Horseman that's naval and has +1 movement, cool! I'm still confused with the Temple, having a bit of a brain fart moment.
Sorry if this sounds patronising, I'm going to try to simplify this.
It's a temple that, as well as the usual bonuses from building it, for every coastal or ocean tile within workable city limits, like that border thingy that goes around your city, those tiles worked will yield twice as much whatever you are producing from it, like the lighthouse does (as far as I understand the lighthouse, I've only ever heard about it in passing).

Also @Arison, Kök Tengri design/theme is on it's way! Also could this be the civ's symbol since it is the word Tengri written in Old Turkic? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengri#/media/File:Orkhon.svg

Maybe just the initial or just one of those letters. I don't want to put any writing on icons because of the principles of flag design which I feel do apply here for the most part.

Writing can work on icons. See Silla or Umayyads.

As Klisz said, the Umayyads doesn't really work, and the Silla's icon is more of a hieroglyphic character than a string of letters. Words just don't go on flags and icons. Don't put a Coat of Arms or a word on your flag and keep it simple. There should be no more than three colours on your flag if you are using symbols, but you can go more if you don't use symbols, and every symbol should have meaning. Look at the history of the Chicagoan flag compared to Milwaukee and tell me which is better.

I hate the colour scheme, but the actual alpha fulfils all of my requirements.

I have the reverse opinion - I think the alpha is too long horizontally compared to vertically, leaving the whole thing feeling kinda unbalanced.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, I'm going to try to simplify this.
It's a temple that, as well as the usual bonuses from building it, for every coastal or ocean tile within workable city limits, like that border thingy that goes around your city, those tiles worked will yield twice as much whatever you are producing from it, like the lighthouse does (as far as I understand the lighthouse, I've only ever heard about it in passing).

Maybe just the initial or just one of those letters. I don't want to put any writing on icons because of the principles of flag design which I feel do apply here for the most part.

Oh I see it doubles the tiles yield within your borders, wow that's powerful! Eh, I don't mind writing on flags as long as it looks good.

Yeah I was going to mention the Umayyads! Who's the Silla?

YMMV. The Umayyad icon is one of my least favorites, personally.

Really? I like them!

As Klisz said, the Umayyads doesn't really work, and the Silla's icon is more of a hieroglyphic character than a string of letters. Words just don't go on flags and icons. Don't put a Coat of Arms or a word on your flag and keep it simple. There should be no more than three colours on your flag if you are using symbols, but you can go more if you don't use symbols, and every symbol should have meaning. Look at the history of the Chicagoan flag compared to Milwaukee and tell me which is better.

How does the Umayyad's icon not work? Even if we did want to put a CoA on a civ icon it still would be complicated to implement in the game, yeah the Chicagoan flag looks good normally. The Milwaukee flag simple had too much on it, like a lot on it. So using that as a reason why we can't have writting on flags makes your point a bit mute.

How does the Umayyad's icon not work? Even if we did want to put a CoA on a civ icon it still would be complicated to implement in the game, yeah the Chicagoan flag looks good normally. The Milwaukee flag simple had too much on it, like a lot on it. So using that as a reason why we can't have writting on flags makes your point a bit mute.

There are certain things that just shouldn't be done in flag design, and most translate across to icon design, and while with some scripts it works, my original point is maybe not use the entire words for Tenrgi.

There are certain things that just shouldn't be done in flag design, and most translate across to icon design, and while with some scripts it works, my original point is maybe not use the entire words for Tenrgi.

Oh right I see what you are saying, well there are other alternatives to just having Tengri's name or his initial. There's this and this

We can simplify the first one if need be but I'm kinda a fan of using it for Kök Tengri and the other one for normal Tengri.

Oh right I see what you are saying, well there are other alternatives to just having Tengri's name or his initial. There's this and this

We can simplify the first one if need be but I'm kinda a fan of using it for Kök Tengri and the other one for normal Tengri.

Definitely going to use those. They are perfect. For the simplification, just take out the letters. It's a good enough symbol with or without them.

UPDATE: I will now be taking suggestions for introduction, defeat and cultural influence quotes for any of the civs in my signature. Current ideas are:

The Aesir Culture: Our people are now cosplaying as your warriors and watching your movies- what, those aren't about you?
The Kami Culture: Our people are now flaying horses over simple sibling rivalry. I fear the rest of the world will succumb to the influence of your culture.

Definitely going to use those. They are perfect. For the simplification, just take out the letters. It's a good enough symbol with or without them.

Okay that's good! At least we have reached an accord.

UPDATE: I will now be taking suggestions for introduction, defeat and cultural influence quotes for any of the civs in my signature. Current ideas are:

The Aesir Culture: Our people are now cosplaying as your warriors and watching your movies- what, those aren't about you?
The Kami Culture: Our people are now flaying horses over simple sibling rivalry. I fear the rest of the world will succumb to the influence of your culture.

Oh thats' cool! Add some flavor to your mods, that Aiser quite though. I'll see what I can find for Tengri and others.

@Sgtwolf00 do you have any ideas for a colour scheme for Tenrgi?

@Sgtwolf00

I've been looking at Tengriism and all that, and I found a real life civ I want to make:
The Ilkhanate under Arghan Khan, with a unique ability that grants luxuries from allied city states and civs.
I could do with some help on it though.

@Sgtwolf00 do you have any ideas for a colour scheme for Tenrgi?

Oh a colour scheme, uh maybe light blue and white? White because Tengri is considered to be a white goose, blue because that's a common Turkic colour.

@Sgtwolf00

I've been looking at Tengriism and all that, and I found a real life civ I want to make:
The Ilkhanate under Arghan Khan, with a unique ability that grants luxuries from allied city states and civs.
I could do with some help on it though.

Oh really? Why so? Ah so the UA allows you to get Luxuries from city states and allies that you do not posses, cool! What do you need me to get?

Oh a colour scheme, uh maybe light blue and white? White because Tengri is considered to be a white goose, blue because that's a common Turkic colour.

Ok. Yeah, that could work. I've had yellow on light blue, but making it white on light blue might work. Yay! Another blue and white civ!

Oh really? Why so? Ah so the UA allows you to get Luxuries from city states and allies that you do not posses, cool! What do you need me to get?

A couple other uniques? I'm using the letters from him to the King of France and Pope Nicholas IV as inspiration. Maybe a UI that grants units when connected by roads to allied civs or something like that, or a UB that grants faith when your cities become converted to other religions.

Ok. Yeah, that could work. I've had yellow on light blue, but making it white on light blue might work. Yay! Another blue and white civ!

Yellow and light blue? Sounds a bit funny, hey this one will look good! It won't be forgettable! Especially with the symbol!

A couple other uniques? I'm using the letters from him to the King of France and Pope Nicholas IV as inspiration. Maybe a UI that grants units when connected by roads to allied civs or something like that, or a UB that grants faith when your cities become converted to other religions.

Yeah I just had a look at him, he's certainly unique and interesting. Yeah I see what you are going for, maybe have a great person replacement that can do something really cool. I'll come up with a design in a second, along with a theme for a Kök Tengri and Erkilhan civ

Icon Template.png

This is the design for the Tengri icon in white/blue.

Vanir Symbol.png

And this is the Vanir icon.

Hmm... how good do the alphas look at 32x32? That's probably the most important size in-game, and I think these, especially the tree, won't be even vaguely distinguishable.

Top Bottom