New Units: Coastal Reefs Sets Jan. 15, 2010

Really cool, I would like to see an iceberg or pack-ice in this style.
Could be really usefull

These are stunning! I wonder what the ingame effects look like. I think Vuldacon you are the first to present an animated terrain tile?

Well, there is Jewmpaloompa's excellent Waterfall that we use in the Steampunk Mod, and of course Vuldacon's own recreated Volcano animations....

And there's Derf's Alpha Centauri Mind Worms which are pre-placed and immobile.

I've also been using Tholish's Singularity as a tar pit in the prehistoric Pellucidar of the Lost Worlds map. That same unit could be a Black Hole in space, and if given telepad ability, be used as a Wormhole.

And don't forget Rhodie's Maelstrom, and Iceburg (there you are, Woldtroll), both of which are terrain-like hazards. The Steampunk team has a unit request out for a floating island, "Propeller Island" (idea from Jules Verne) that would double as an Aircraft carrier. I suppose that could be considered terrain as well....

Here are some other ideas I've had, if anyone's interested, for animated terrain:

Spoiler :
Geyser - like Old Faithful. Perhaps combined with steaming hot springs. Like a waterfall, this would be just for show.

Stop light, toll bridge - for modern mods. Stop light would change colors, and would actually stop an approaching unit if placed on a road or railroad tile. To that end, one could use a "train station" unit to break up stretches of railroad...

Then a category of deadly terrain:

Tar Pit - that bubbles and blurps.
Hot water - same as above, only water.
Quicksand - Wouldn't do much, but would have wonderful sucking and blurping sounds.

Then, beautiful units that can have a purpose:

Birds/exotic birds: pre-placed barbarian unit. att/def 0/0 set to explore, withdraw. Just to fly around. Can be "sacrificed" or sold for big bucks if caught. I'm trying this with other wildlife in my western mod. A "pelt" unit would be useful.

"School of fish" - can be seen just below the surface of the water. Can be enslaved by a fishing boat and brought home. I've been playing with this idea using Supa's Megalodon as a whale and sending a whaling boat out after it. Seems to work.*

*in ini files, there is a function: death, and a separate function: dead. Does anyone ever use a "dead" flc?

At least the spoiler rescues me from being long-winded...

Interesting Ideas in the Spoiler Balthasar.
I believe the Dead setting would be used for Units that remain on the map after Death if I am not mistaken. Sort of a Default after Death.
Have not tested it but that could be used for Ships for example if they had a Death animation that sunk to the Bottom of the Sea, the last Frame could be used for the Dead Flc so the Sunken Ship would remain.

Thanks guys... I looked at Reefs and the only way to get anything close was to use Shadows and some slight color. The larger parts appear more like Rocks but at CIV Scale I could not have the needed detail to add Coral. I suppose the Units will work as wanted anyway.

King Arthur... Bubbles, yes, sort of reminds me of watching a Fish Aquarium :lol:

Perhaps someone would prefer to see a Tresure Chest with the Lid Opening and Closing... and a few Bubbles coming out each time of cource, :lol:

These Reefs fill the entire Tile in a Game but I kept them inside the Tile.

Because the Terrain is different colors in Games as well as between Coast and Sea in any game, it is necessary to remake Reefs to fit each Terrain.

Anyone could simply colorize the reefs with one color if they wanted something such as an all Blue Reef, etc...

Edit: Sorry Ares... I spelled your Name with an added i in Aries but I am sure everyone knows you :)

Since we're nitpicking spelling... on second thought, you've earned a break from the human "Spell Check".

Another interesting, and very cool unit!

But how would you prevent Nature from being attacked by others?
You can use it as barbarian animals, sure, but as a civ?

But how would you prevent Nature from being attacked by others?
You can use it as barbarian animals, sure, but as a civ?
Think Professor Challenger, Stanley & Livingston, Amundsen vs. Scott, or Roosevelt up the Amazon. The whole point is man vs. nature "red in tooth & claw". An exploration scenario where "Nature" holds all the victory points & the goal is to "discover" them & hold them for "King & Country". It's not that hard to set up a scenario with a permanent state of war between factions.

I thought you meant having a Nature faction in a normal game.

Think Professor Challenger, Stanley & Livingston, Amundsen vs. Scott, or Roosevelt up the Amazon. The whole point is man vs. nature "red in tooth & claw". An exploration scenario where "Nature" holds all the victory points & the goal is to "discover" them & hold them for "King & Country". It's not that hard to set up a scenario with a permanent state of war between factions.

you could set up victory points like the treasure unit in colonization collect them and send them back to your capital or wherever.

you could set up victory points like the treasure unit in colonization collect them and send them back to your capital or wherever.

I've thought of doing that in the Steampunk Mod - putting a "relic" in every City outside of the British Isles. It could be brought back and "donated" to the British Museum.

The two mods I've been working on - the Steampunk Mod, mentioned above, and an Old West Mod - both have nature civs. It's important that all of the nature units have hidden nationality flags so that there's no need to chit-chat, but just in case, the Steampunk mod uses the Gorilla leaderhead and the Old West Mod uses embryodead's sister's horse leaderhead from the Zoomod, so when the weather kicks up, your horse looks at you and says......

That "nature" civ capitol is placed way out in the ocean, so that it can never be killed. I've noted that techs must be made untradeable, and if I can ever figure out how to turn off the city names labels and hit points bars, I can give them invisible "caves" to spawn in... For now, they spawn in strategically placed "Ghost towns".

Both mods also use pre-placed "barbarian" units in the manner I described a few posts back, to add variety to nature's behavior...

These are great, and an awesome idea. :goodjob::)

Glad some of you have a use for these simple Reefs :)

Balthasar... I checked the "Dead" setting in the .ini File and it does not seem to work as I thought it would. More testing is needed to see what, if anything, it does do.

More nature units! Coral reefs, how alluring.
Thanks, Vuldacon.

Could you please make one with a little guy in standard diving dress with a clear plastic tube as big around as his leg coming out of his back to do the bubbles. And also with a fluorescent pink clamshell that opens up so the bubbles come out?

:joke:

Actually I think that his unit could be very useful in an Oceania scenario. I know someone was working on one.

Top Bottom