Need testers for new editor

Huh?
First of all, Why?
Ive heard some great feedback from people who've said they actaully enjoyed hearing my side form the basis for that classic outnumbered confrontation. YA and this from both sides! ... But Sorry , ya for you man of many fine mods, I will adhere.

Still lighten up n have a beer. Thought It was obvious Im poking fun at meself(irish way), I didn't need your help you know! :(

Ontopic. Good Steph !

Thanks TA Jones for keeping up OUR side of the CIV debate!! :goodjob:

As long as things are kept CIVIL IMO there's nothing wrong with debating the future and present state of CIV. Of course I'm not a moderator and don't have to deal with some of the headaches. :lol:

Back on topic: I can't wait for Christmas now! I wasn't planning on a big Christmas this year but the new editor to test will be the best present EVER! Keep up the great work Steph!! :goodjob:

Just a suggestion: when i see your screenshot above i was thinking about the barbarian tribe. This special civilization requires 76 different tribe names. Perhaps would it be usefull to have the number of the line in the list?
What do you mean it requires 76 tribe names??

Back on topic: I can't wait for Christmas now! I wasn't planning on a big Christmas this year but the new editor to test will be the best present EVER! Keep up the great work Steph!! :goodjob:
Thanks, but it will be far from completion. It's a LONG job!
The advances, units, natural resources, general settings and civilization pages will be fully editable, except for a few details (like spaceship parts) that I'll finish later.

The worker job, terrain, world size and flavors will not be done at all (well, they will appear correctly in the other pages, but their specific pages will remain blanks).

The other pages will be there as "readonly". They wiil display the info, but if you try to edit them, nothing will be saved.

The biggest thing for me is the unit editing. With the copy and paste function I will be able to do a lot of similar units quickly. The other aspects I can wait for but the ability to edit units more efficiently will be exactly what I need for my scenario at this stage.

What do you mean it requires 76 tribe names??
You can't have more than 76 tribe names with the barbarians. Try to customize the list and you'll see...

I've just read that in the help

"If the selected civ is the barbarians, the "city names" are used as barbarian tribes. Be aware when editing barbarian tribe names, that there must be exactly 76 barbarian tribe names in this box (no more or less) or the game could crash"

How can a programmer manage do write such a stupid piece of code? A game that could crash if the number is not exactly 76???

Virote is correct, and they are organized by Culture group.

Correct. The first line, 'Barbarian,' is just a general one. After that its the next 15 lines are American barbs, the next 15 lines are European, then Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and finally Asian.

The civilizations page should be done... But it's a tricky one.

If I did not make to many mistakes, it is now possible to delete a civ, or to reorder civilizations, while preserving the list of civs that can build each unit.

In other words, it's now possible to modify the civilizations AFTER the units!

I have not yet taken care of the map, but when I'll do that (in January?), then it will also preserve the cities.

Currently, if you have civ A, B, C and D, each with cities, and delete civ B, then the cities of civ B disappears, and the cities of civ C are transfered to civ D :(. Which is yet another example of some limited programming in the regular editor...

With my editor, deleting B will remove all the cities that belonged to B, but the cities of C will remain cities of C!

If I have a map but no pre-placed starting units or cities, only terrain, resources and overlays would it be ok with your editor ATM?
Yes. Resources are not a problem as you have only one resource per tile.
So you would just "replace" them.
The problems are with buildings, units or civilizations. If you add or delete some (so the number of buildings in a city changes), then the length of the data in the map section changes, and I'm not yet to the point where I recompute it. I think I may arrive to this point sometime in January.

I won't do much after Christmas, as... mother is coming :run:.

And I have to get get her at the railway station, one hour and a half drive from my home... tomorrow!!!

Whan we planned her trip, she said she would arrive on Tuesday, and she called me one hour ago to confirm she will arrive on monday.

:run::run::run:.

Thanks to Gramphos's invaluable help, I've been able to make the multiple strategies for units work properly.

I wouldn't have been able to figure such an ... innovative :)mischief: :confused::crazyeye:) way to handle that on my own.

Spoiler :
There is probably a good reason behind the method. Tell me there is.. But I can't imagine any, it seems to me to be the worst possible way to do it

I've just read that in the help

"If the selected civ is the barbarians, the "city names" are used as barbarian tribes. Be aware when editing barbarian tribe names, that there must be exactly 76 barbarian tribe names in this box (no more or less) or the game could crash"

How can a programmer manage to write such a stupid piece of code? A game that could crash if the number is not exactly 76???

Or set a limit of 31 civs plus barbs? Or have error checking? Or have the resources-appears-in box in the resources tab? Or think, 'you know, this editor I've made is perfect!!!' Or make sound files not customizable (maybe you could work on that...)!
Oh well, at least that programer tried.. :(

Then again, he might not have had a choice when it came to how many barb 'cultures' there are, or how many civs to put in, or (No, he/she could have had error checking), or anything else.

I don't have a problem with having some limits like the 32 civs when it makes some sense (and here it made some given the way they store things).
I have more difficulties with things that can crash the game. Especially if they are aware of it, as they wrote something in the help about it.
There should be a proper error management.

I accept that every software has bugs. It's very difficult to test everything. It's harder to accept that once a bug is known, nothing is done to prevent that.

Top Bottom