TuxLife

PREEMPTED! (damn, and I was like "Oh, I need a reason for my Clawstri to swim/fly!")

Nice evolution. I eager wish to see whether our predecessors will survive, seeing that they now have to fight over the dead food category!

I hope my ploy to spread the Condensor in exchange for limited time for a pack to hunt on land will work.

What, how?

Nevermind. Just going to slip this (SwimmingX1) for the Swarmer next evolution. Fleshy Lobes becomes fins!
It's not really fins, its mutated bug podia. They would be like shrimps etc... Swimming bugs. Ew.

I'll soon bring the jaws of fish to eat ya all! The Tailus will win!

We'll have pseudo-fishes vs mollusciforms evolved from spongers :)

PREEMPTED! (damn, and I was like "Oh, I need a reason for my Clawstri to swim/fly!")

Nice evolution. I eager wish to see whether our predecessors will survive, seeing that they now have to fight over the dead food category!

I hope my ploy to spread the Condensor in exchange for limited time for a pack to hunt on land will work.

Whilst I appreciate the effort to spread my creation I think you may be overestimating their moisture creation abilities. I suspect that with moisture extraction x1 they can only produce enough water to hydrate themselves and their host, not an entire pack. What your creatures could do though is once one has acquired a condenser the rest can rub against it to pick up spores and become condenser hosts themselves.

Evolved From said:
Slimer Stabilius : Northen Wolf
Evolved from: Slimer Secondus
Genes (5): Eating Dead Things x1, Photosynthesis x2, Clonal Colony x1, Holdfasts x1

Coastal Slimer
: Northen Wolf
Evolved from: Slimer Stabilius
Genes (5): Eating Dead Things x1, Photosynthesis x2, Clonal Colony x1, Holdfasts x1
Genes added: Water retention x1

Description: Slimer Stabilius managed to fix itself onto areas which had been unaccessable to most life forms. Whilst doing that, Slimer Stabilus was kicked out from peaceful central areas of the Sea by faster growing Slimer Secondus. However, Some of the cell pieces from Slimer Stabilus reached coastal areas and remained stuck onto rocks or ocean floor. There Slimer Secondus grew its Holdfasts and fixed itself to thrive in shallow coastal waters. Whilst many of Slimer Stabilius cosins died, some evolved to sustain water in cells and, by doing that, survived in Coastal areas, thanks to gaining access to corpses as well as plentiful sunlight.

Yeah! You guys better run to the coast!!!

I'm trying to evolve plant life as we have so less of it. My next move would be growing slimer Stabilius or Slimer Secunds weed like structure to improve its thriving rate. Unless someone would do that for me.

@Tuxedohamm, as Northen just posted exactly what I was going to evolve (no worries :) ), I hope I can change it to this:

Cipher: Daftpanzer
Evolved from: Orophulas
Gene Added: Shell x1
Description: as their ancestors excreted waste products onto their exterior surfaces, a mutation occurred that combined these excretions with other minerals to form a hard, continuous, external shell. Predation pressure further shaped these shells into smooth conical shapes, providing less purchase for probing claws and mouths. Two plankton-trapping appendages protrude from the top, and can be retracted under attack. An emergency swimming option is used only as a last resort, by means of randomly thrashing their appendages. While by no means a bullet-proof defence, these shells made a predator's job harder, and hopefully diverted their attention to more rewarding prey. Remaining adaptable to warm or cold waters, the Cipher's strategy is simple - to sit on the seafloor and use their relatively-efficient filter feeding apparatus to survive and multiply... However, lacking any significant means of holding themselves in place, they are at the mercy of tides and currents, often fatally stranded on beaches after a storm - thus providing more nutrients and minerals to the emerging shoreline ecosystem.

Whilst I appreciate the effort to spread my creation I think you may be overestimating their moisture creation abilities. I suspect that with moisture extraction x1 they can only produce enough water to hydrate themselves and their host, not an entire pack. What your creatures could do though is once one has acquired a condenser the rest can rub against it to pick up spores and become condenser hosts themselves.

And in this case, gives you the ability equivalent of unprotected space travel!

Yep, we'll have condensorized swarmer packs on shore, eating the weak and moisturizing the strong!

As the condenser and its' host have a mutually beneficial relationship (unless the host doesn't venture onto the shore) the condenser is technically a symbiont, not a parasite.
Of course if the host stays oceanbound it's totally a parasite.

Like its' daddy.

You guys seem to forget the large, predatory floating photosynthesizers who are hovering above you, always watching.

Or they would be always watching, if they had eyes.

I'm actually considering selecting for a sensory gene this turn, but I'm trying to judge what would be the most practical and realistic for a creature like the Haptor.

You guys seem to forget the large, predatory floating photosynthesizers who are hovering above you, always watching.

Or they would be always watching, if they had eyes.

Somehow that last part makes it all the more disturbing.

EDIT:

Thermus Minara : Eltain
Evolved from: Thermal Miner
Gene Added: Cold Resistance
Gene Removed: Heat Resistance, Pressure Resistance
Description: In a fashion similar to its ancestor the Thermal Miner and its cousin the Tidal Skavoun, the Thermus Minara skipped the Deep Sea Scene(TM) and took a beeline for the glorious sunless underwater beaches of the Arctic Poles.

Stripping away the unused genes make it require less energy to survive, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66f9DUN88Jg&feature=player_detailpage

"Greetings dragons and wyrens! The Terrance Telechannel now presents another red-hot episode of: TuxLife; Evolution Exploration: The Third Era"

[A cloud of Tailus descendants pump into and off a camera]

"Ah... the ocean environment! The first three-dimensional environment of life. Oooh, lookee here! We have the venerable Tailus Smellus

[The Tailus Smellus floated above the camera. Just before it flickered away a cartoon hairpin covered its nose]

“I guess we dragons smell bad to them, eh? Tailus Smellus combines their sense of smell with their appetite for plankton to help them find food faster!”

[Another camera shows one Tailus Smellus swimming through green water. Time Lapse Camera shows how the numbers increase both from procreation (censored) and migration that in the end, the water is mostly clear]

“This allows them to target the best feeding spots and swim themselves into position. Isn’t that rad?”

[A webbed eater suddenly appeared in the camera, eating on one Tailus and hanging on to two more struggling ones. The Camera Freezes]

“Here we have the famed Webbed Eater. Look at that face! Only a mother can love that kind of face!”

[It unfroze into slow motion, it’s barbs slowly undulating and its mouth ripping the captive Tailus one slice at a time]

“Every once in a while, an Eater of any kind gets lucky and finds itself in the middle of a swarm. The Webbed Eaters are more lucky than usual because they can propel, “lunge” if you well, at nearby sensations.”

[Rewinding shows how the Webbed Eater smashed into a small pod of the Tailus and harpooned the three of them it is now eating]

“Above, we find more peaceful denezins. Excluding the Haptor, most of these floating creatures are perfectly harmless!”

[We see green floaters and Peregriners floating along in the surface. The camera zoomed into a floater with a wide “unbrella”]

“Our first spotlight will be the Sundrifter! Some Floaters had the odd ability to start photosynthesizing, and since where there is sun, there is plankton, it sortov worked out!”

[An above head video shows how the umbrella of the Sun Drifter, mostly directly by waves and touch, surrounded the green plankton field the Tailus Smellus was exploiting]

“Their poor predecessor the Sea Drifter finds Sun Drifters floating right above them in the best places for sun and plankton. They aren’t doing so hot anymore.”

[The Camera Zooms down into a matt of Peregrinor and Haptors]

“Look at all these flourishing plants! Without planteaters, they flourish!”

[Zoom out to look at the curvature of Hammux Tuxedorum. The brown and grey surface is surrounded by a matt of green as far as the eye can see]

“They colonized the world! And in certain areas, they dominate…

Tune in next time to see the newest clips from the Clanessia Casualty Zone! Parental Warning is given and forgotton here! Come back next time to Evolution Exploration!”

Top Bottom