Two things that annoy me: Hiawatha and whales

Carmack

Chieftain
1) Hiawatha - Iroquois. Hate this civ. Everything about them. They are always in my games and they spread like a virus. Just tried playing a game where he was my neighbor on a small continents map. Couldn't expand. I was lodged up north in a 50/50 tundra/decent landmass with a strip of land connecting us to the south. I didn't even settle near him, I settled on the other side of my landmass. Cue the ensuing "You're settling on my land" admonishment and things spiraled downhill. The worst was when I managed, by what I thought to be a miracle, to grab The Great Library... only to find I had one chunk of 2+ iron near the North Pole. Ho ho ho. He gets iron working shortly later and... yeah... endless mohawk warrior spam. All my resources were dumped into replacing fallen troops.

Maybe I should step down from Emperor and get better at the game, but I normally don't have problems with any of the particular AIs like I do with Hiawatha. The only other civs/leaders that can be comparably as dangerous as Hiawatha, at least from my brief Civ5 experience, are Napoleon and The Huns.

2) Whales. My capital had 6 or 7 whales on the screen. Incessant SPLASH! SPLORSH! WHOOSH! "SHADDAAAP!!! Freakin' whales, I'm trying to think here."

If Hiawatha is my neighbor (and I like small continents too), he's just the one to wait and take out first. He'll yield nice puppets for you.

You can pretty much be assured of a DOW and then just defend against his original onslaught. When they are done, you in and take what you please.

But, by all means, don't let him live long.

yeah Hiawatha has been responsible for most of the memorable runaways on Huge Continents map- the only map I ever play. If I see him, my heart darkens a bit.

1) Hiwatha is annoying, especially when he's in the other side of the continent, but you can control it by taking him out first.
I hear King is good this time of the year.

2) Never underestimate the power of the whale. They might make land and take over pretty soon (like that one episode in Futurama). :sarcasm::crazyeye:

Thar she blows! This thread made me smirk. Thanks.

It has been proven that the more of a particular resource there is on a map, the more likely a particular civ will do well. Coincidentally, whales happens to help the Iroquois. You'd think it would be deer or something.

Edit: (After reading gunslinger's post) Joking.

It has been proven that the more of a particular resource there is on a map, the more likely a particular civ will do well. Coincidentally, whales happens to help the Iroquois. You'd think it would be deer or something.

I'd never heard of this. As for Hiawatha build defensive units ASAP, build defensive units, beat of his attack, and then crush him. I usually just kill him straight off he's too dangerous to keep around for diplomatic reasons. I swear the man goes and tells every ruler about how bad you are or something.

Heres a (brief) list of things that annoy me.

Kamehameha - playing on an Island map, he will settle halfway across the world on your island on turn 43. In a non-ideal position so you don't even want to puppet it.

Great Prophets are not given at a certain faith level, rather you have a chance once you reach the threshold. I've had games where I got over 300 faith when 200 is required.

Cities gaining followers of another religion, when you have 60 pressure on the city and they have 12.

That prophet bombing a holy city doesn't declare war. The options are: Devote 3+ units to moving around in circles to tediously block the great prophet, suffer the diplomatic consequences of declaring war yourself, or buying an inquisitor.

Barbarians that spawn (in a camp you may not have known existed) and move two tiles to capture your worker in the same turn with zero warning. Urgh.

AI that repeatedly coup you from 100 influence away, even with your level 3 spy defending.

AI that won't mount a serious offensive against you, possibly cannot, but still refuse to make a reasonable peace deal (even white peace).

Barbarian galleys on the other side of a peninsula, possibly 10 turns away by sea, blockade tiles on the other side of the isle. Repeatedly.

City states from halfway across the world sailing a single caravel over to pillage unprotected fishing boats in a secluded corner of your empire.

Moving a warrior with 2/2 movement onto a hut and getting a spearman upgrade. The spearman upgrade already sucks compared to most other huts, but you have to take away my other 1 movement? Really?

I guess my list of 10 is more serious than the OP :) But these things really bother me.

Well you know what has been annoying me. I want to complete a game as the Celts but either I start in a horrible position and keep restarting and if I get a good start I am stuck against warmongers it's driving me up the wall and so far that warmonger is Monty and his jaguars.

It is horrible cause I want a Forest start but problem is all he builds is Jaguars and they have bonuses in forests my Picts can't stand against them and I am a peacemonger I can't build large armies without wanting to build wondurous buildings and building wonders.

AI that repeatedly coup you from 100 influence away, even with your level 3 spy defending.

Moving a warrior with 2/2 movement onto a hut and getting a spearman upgrade. The spearman upgrade already sucks compared to most other huts, but you have to take away my other 1 movement? Really?

One game I played, this happened to me 8 times with the same CS. Confirmed that AI had less than 80 IP at one point. I decided screw it, bought up to 230 IP and still a coup. Finally gave up on the CS. When AI was ally, I always had 0% success chance even with special agent.

One time got my warrior killed when my only retreat path was over an ancient ruins that happen to be an upgrade.

Of course the obvious solution to playing against Hiawatha is to play AS Hiawatha. That's what I'm doing for my third Emperor game; into the Industrial Era with the tech lead, 8 settled and 6 puppet cities, majority religion on half the pangaea and both London and Athens in tow. It's amazing what this guy can do for you when the AI's starting locations give you enough room for Liberty. :lol:

I don't understand the logic of the upgrades. It seems early on, they are either archer (if it's a scout), or a spearman (if it's a warrior).

That seems so wrong to me.

I mean, warriors (and in my game playing Monty, my jaguars) become spearmen, when their logical progression is swordsmen. I realize that iron has not been teched yet, but it really ticked me off when two of my jags hit a good hut and became spearmen.

Would you rather have those jags get hit with a negative resource penalty before you've even teched Iron Working?

Hiawatha is a pain, I do as others have mentioned and try and take him out ASAP.

Following on from guinsoo's post - yep Great Prophet spam. Isabella in my last game - *3* of her Great Prophets plus a few missionaries wandering around my lands, trying to box two in against mountains with old military units and an inquisitor guarding my capital. Another AI declares war and I move a couple of great scientists away from my capital, but forget to move the inquisitor to the other side of the city (or into the city). He get killed and Isabella's GP's arrive :(

Inquisitors should be allowed to attack (no war declaration, maybe a diplo hit) missionaries and GP's.

Annoyances with CS's. 'Build a road to my city' OK, it's near a city of mine, I need your luxuries/military units..... so please move your units out of the way of my worker so I can build the road!

1) Hiawatha - Iroquois. Hate this civ. Everything about them. They are always in my games and they spread like a virus. Just tried playing a game where he was my neighbor on a small continents map. Couldn't expand. I was lodged up north in a 50/50 tundra/decent landmass with a strip of land connecting us to the south. I didn't even settle near him, I settled on the other side of my landmass. Cue the ensuing "You're settling on my land" admonishment and things spiraled downhill. The worst was when I managed, by what I thought to be a miracle, to grab The Great Library... only to find I had one chunk of 2+ iron near the North Pole. Ho ho ho. He gets iron working shortly later and... yeah... endless mohawk warrior spam. All my resources were dumped into replacing fallen troops.

Maybe I should step down from Emperor and get better at the game, but I normally don't have problems with any of the particular AIs like I do with Hiawatha. The only other civs/leaders that can be comparably as dangerous as Hiawatha, at least from my brief Civ5 experience, are Napoleon and The Huns.

2) Whales. My capital had 6 or 7 whales on the screen. Incessant SPLASH! SPLORSH! WHOOSH! "SHADDAAAP!!! Freakin' whales, I'm trying to think here."
1. Mohawk Warriors die to Longswords pretty easily and Longswords aren't that big of a tech jump from Ironworking. If you don't have much iron, you can trade for it, get it from a City State, take it from an opponent by force (much easier now siege doesn't require iron), turtle until muskets, or head to Pikes and spam them. Plus, defending is much easier than attacking in Civ5 and with a few composite bowman, you can hold off hoards of Mohawks.

2. Turn down the ambient/background sounds?

Would you rather have those jags get hit with a negative resource penalty before you've even teched Iron Working?

Nope. And I realize that is why they are not upgraded to swordsmen--i.e., because of the penalty. The designers thought of that.

I just think it sucks that they get upgraded to spearmen, as the normal upgrade path is swordsmen through rifles.

I suppose there was no other option available.

Annoyances with CS's. 'Build a road to my city' OK, it's near a city of mine, I need your luxuries/military units..... so please move your units out of the way of my worker so I can build the road!

^^This! I find it so annoying. I've learned that when I want to build a road, I start from their city and works towards mine, instead of the other way around.

Top Bottom