Download Here

Well, there might be one tiny little change. Was the version number updated to 1.82 where it needs to be changed to show up as that instead of 1.81 in the game? I'm pretty sure I didn't do so. If you, TC01, didn't either then it will still be saying it is 1.81. I will see about updating it to 1.83 in the SVN, so it will be the correct version number when that comes out.

And if any bugs are found before then, I hope they'll be fixed too. So everybody, everybody's brother, and everybody's brother's dog should play 1.82 in the next few days to make sure it works before 1.83 is assembled.

Alrighty then, now if only I had enough players. :cry:

Soooo, do we go with this latest patch? Or we are waiting for installer?

We have enough players :) AI is always willing to play, 24/7!!! Why are you so adamant about all human game? 4 humans 4 AI can be fun too, and much faster, I am really frustrated with a speed of big games we play... I think I have close to 10 active games and very often a days goes by without me getting any save at all! :crazyeye:

Well, there might be one tiny little change. Was the version number updated to 1.82 where it needs to be changed to show up as that instead of 1.81 in the game? I'm pretty sure I didn't do so. If you, TC01, didn't either then it will still be saying it is 1.81. I will see about updating it to 1.83 in the SVN, so it will be the correct version number when that comes out.

And if any bugs are found before then, I hope they'll be fixed too. So everybody, everybody's brother, and everybody's brother's dog should play 1.82 in the next few days to make sure it works before 1.83 is assembled.

Whoops... I always forget to do that. So I guess that's a change. ;)

And yes, plus bugfixes, if there are any bugs to fix. Well, I'm pretty sure there are bugs to be fixed somewhere, we just need to know about them. So yes, please, play the mod!

(I guess that means I'll be playing the mod for the first time in over a year now.)

Soooo, do we go with this latest patch? Or we are waiting for installer?

We have enough players :) AI is always willing to play, 24/7!!! Why are you so adamant about all human game? 4 humans 4 AI can be fun too, and much faster, I am really frustrated with a speed of big games we play... I think I have close to 10 active games and very often a days goes by without me getting any save at all! :crazyeye:

I suppose we are waiting for the installer, there might still be some bugs that could be fixed. For that matter go and play some SP games to find them.

Wherever did you get the idea a game with eight players is huge? You are just looking for excuses to get some easy victims you old warmongerer you. :p

Btw, is it possible to make the Capitol give its eight Commerce also on the very first turn of every game? That issue is still not fixed, in case you weren´t aware.

I am aware. It is, of course, possible.

I have thought of two different ways of doing it. One of them (which I have not actually looked into enough to make sure it would do what is desired, and only that) might have removed the need for the fix to store the data in the savegame (although it would still be desirable for display purposes), which would be changing the time it does the building yield check and updating the values before everything else in the end of turn processing instead of last like it is now (it is after the food/growth and production processing for the city). The other way is just to do a separate check when the game starts to get the correct values stored for each city (this one would certainly work and have no possible side effects). Since I haven't really looked into it, it is possible that the first method would have some side effect - quite possibly a display issue where it does not always show the correct values on the next turn since the totals would be generated before the turn's production and trade route calculations are complete and so the displayed values might be missing contributions from any new buildings or trade route changes that happened (and I don't think that calculating it twice, once at the start and once at the end of the turn processing, is a very elegant fix). Since I suspect that this issue does exist, the second fix is probably the better one.

I just don't consider it very important, so I didn't bother investigating it more. First, it affects everyone equally. Second, you are coming out of the problems caused by losing your connection with Earth so that even has an in-game explanation of why it does that. The main effect is just a display issue: it won't take as long as it says on that first turn to research your first tech. Other than that, it just makes getting that first tech probably take one extra turn (it is possible that in some case a civ doesn't even suffer from this - it might just have less overflow after researching the first tech which might make the second or some later tech arrive 1 turn later, but I haven't checked that either).

Version 1.83 is released! It's a full download containing patches 1.81 and 1.82 (1.82 actually works this time, as well). Otherwise there are only a few minor bugs fixed.

The installer should work for Steam and Complete versions of Civ 4 now. Support for additional weird registry configurations can be added as well.

-Incremented in-game version to v1.83
-Fixed in-game tooltip about iron being used for melee units
-Fixed worldbuilder bug when adding resources to plots
-Updated installer to support all possible Civ 4 installations
-Rereleased v1.83 as a full download (no patches required, just install v1.83 and go)

Version 1.83 is released! It's a full download containing patches 1.81 and 1.82 (1.82 actually works this time, as well). Otherwise there are only a few minor bugs fixed.

The installer should work for Steam and Complete versions of Civ 4 now. Support for additional weird registry configurations can be added as well.

-Incremented in-game version to v1.83
-Fixed in-game tooltip about iron being used for melee units
-Fixed worldbuilder bug when adding resources to plots
-Updated installer to support all possible Civ 4 installations
-Rereleased v1.83 as a full download (no patches required, just install v1.83 and go)

I've spent 3 days trying, off and on, to get this to install on my steam version. No luck. I was able to get it sort of installed for a while, but the visuals were messed up. I've literally tried everything that I can think of, I've uninstalled and reinstalled 10 times, I've read up on manual installations...nothing works. It's very disappointing, I really enjoy ff, and I was able to get the mod installed (with a lot of effort) on my last computer.

I even went so far as to look for my disks to manually install the game. I found every disk except disk 1 of bts of course...

I've spent 3 days trying, off and on, to get this to install on my steam version. No luck. I was able to get it sort of installed for a while, but the visuals were messed up. I've literally tried everything that I can think of, I've uninstalled and reinstalled 10 times, I've read up on manual installations...nothing works. It's very disappointing, I really enjoy ff, and I was able to get the mod installed (with a lot of effort) on my last computer.

I even went so far as to look for my disks to manually install the game. I found every disk except disk 1 of bts of course...

Sorry we haven't answered before, but there is not very much we can do other than provide general advice.

So 3 standard things that have come up multiple times before are:

Make sure that you do not have another Final Frontier Plus folder inside your Final Frontier Plus folder. Directly in the Final Frontier Plus folder you should see the contents of the mod like the Assets folder and the "Final Frontier Plus.ini" file. If you install with the zip file version instead of the installer things like that can sometimes happen.

Make sure the mod's folder is named exactly "Final Frontier Plus". Anything else can cause problems since the actual mod name appears in at least one location in the XML and if it does not match it will not be able to find the "theme" files, which will mess up some of the graphics.

If you used the installer version and it did not work, try the zip file version. You unzip that and put the Final Frontier Plus folder where it goes (right next to the Final Frontier folder in the folder where the game put's the mods that come with it) watching out for the double folder issue mentioned above.

Sorry we haven't answered before, but there is not very much we can do other than provide general advice.

So 3 standard things that have come up multiple times before are:

Make sure that you do not have another Final Frontier Plus folder inside your Final Frontier Plus folder. Directly in the Final Frontier Plus folder you should see the contents of the mod like the Assets folder and the "Final Frontier Plus.ini" file. If you install with the zip file version instead of the installer things like that can sometimes happen.

Make sure the mod's folder is named exactly "Final Frontier Plus". Anything else can cause problems since the actual mod name appears in at least one location in the XML and if it does not match it will not be able to find the "theme" files, which will mess up some of the graphics.

If you used the installer version and it did not work, try the zip file version. You unzip that and put the Final Frontier Plus folder where it goes (right next to the Final Frontier folder in the folder where the game put's the mods that come with it) watching out for the double folder issue mentioned above.

Thank you for the help, it turned out to be a PEBKAC error... I was cut and pasting the directory for steam. I went back just now and downloaded it, and followed the folders until I got to civ4bts/beyond the sword/mods, and it downloaded and installed perfectly. Sorry for the earlier complaint.

Mod is even better than before, great job guys!

I have uploaded v1.84, almost two years to the day of the last release!

Full changelog (derived from git):

Code:
-Merged patch from DarkLunaPhantom to allow BUG to work in PitBoss mode.
-Added some new unique diplomacy text to all leaders, based on suggestions from the forums ([url]http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=517635[/url])
-Improved the efficiency of rushing via Slave State from 30 hammers to 50.
-Modified the AI to now forces a population reassignment every fifteen turns.
-The target minimum food surplus for the AI has been changed to vary over the course of the game, as cities grow larger.
-All AI leaders are now slightly more likely to build ships and plan war.
-Fixed rare potential CTD that could happen if a unit withdrew off the map.
-Fixed Wormholes bug that would stop Wormholes from working if their x *or* y coordinate happened to be the same.
-Fixed potential minor Python bug involving adding a planet to a solar syste.m
-Fixed PlotListEnhancements (BUG) crash when a starbase is built while the construction ship building it is selected.
-Defined the TXT_KEYs for the (useless/hidden/ignored) Alien civilization to clean up the pedia.
-Flavor change: adjusted land area computation to use lightyears as a unit.
-Flavor change: slightly adjusted average lifespan in demographics upwards.

I will be uploading a manual install version of the patch to the ModDB site, but I just installed v1.83 + patch on my laptop, where Beyond the Sword is installed via Steam, and had no problems.

It's a patch, so you need 1.83 installed first.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and criticism over the past two years-- and from the beginning, of course! It means a lot. :)

I certainly haven't done a very good job responding in a timely fashion to people for a few years now-- you can blame university for that (mostly). I have vague ambitions of doing more work on the mod, especially now that I sat down, played a few games for the first time in literally years, and did a bit of work. Of course, university is about to start back up again...

But I did read everything that's been written over the past two years when I decided to assemble this patch, and have some ideas of my own that I'd quite like to pursue, time permitting. Maybe there will be another release by next summer, or a couple of prototype modmods. Who knows?

Civ 4 is an old game these days, but I find it as enjoyable as ever to play and mod.

(copied post from the thread over in the Modpacks forum).

Woah nelly, two years? I remember we started our PBEM pretty soon after the release. Does this mean we haven't even managed one hundred turns in almost two years? Time sure flies. :crazyeye:

I just started playing Civ4 a month ago and recently found this mod. Big thank you to you guys for working on this over the years, it's a great mod!

I had issues installing on a steam installation and wanted to post what I did, because I encountered a bunch of the issues other have been having, but none of the solutions in the posts worked.

What didn't work:

I installed using the installer for 1.83. It gave an error about a missing folder ("\mods\final frontier\") and then looked like it installed successfully. Upon launching the game, it gave a cfg error and then hung.

I tried using the standalone zip install for 1.83. The game loaded, but there were no planets and a borked UI.

What worked:

I installed using the 1.83 installer. First I had to copy the Final Frontier mod to "c:\mods\final frontier" from "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Final Frontier"

When specifying a location to install, use "\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods". The installer should automatically add "\Final Frontier Plus"

After this, the installer for the 1.84 and 1.9beta patches each worked.

Hope this helps!
-Ben

Okay I am very confused about all the different versions floating around here, and honestly at this point I don't even know anymore which version I have. :crazyeye: Especially confusing is that apparently for the 1.9 Beta I already need 1.84 installed, and to install that I already need 1.83 installed, so I have to download at least three different patches, more if I ever deleted or changed Shafer's original? :confused:

I just downloaded the latest version, and I've noticed one little thing.
In the changelog for 1.84 it says that it now forces the AI to move around population every 15 turns, however, I think this is affecting the human player as well because every now and then I check on my home system and population is being moved around from planet to planet.

Hi, I tried downloading the most recent full update from ModDB (1.83) and Firefox refuses to do so because the file (both the .exe and the .zip) supposedly contain a virus. (Well I mean it prompts so. Anyway) I'm sure I should just ignore it, but what's currently the condition of the mod? I mean there must be some reason why a file would be categorized so? I tried downloading another .exe there (Goldensquare Source for Half-Life, just for reference) and it started up just fine. Canceled the download afterwards.

Just asking 'cause I want to play this mod and I want to find out what's what.

Also I'm tired af atm and mainly running on caffeine so I'll probably try to look for answers later on my own, but wanted to bring this to your attention because I think it's reasonable to assume that it hampers the popularity of the mod for others similiar-minded as me.

Thanks in advance!

Option 1 for 1.83 keeps giving me this error https://i.imgur.com/KGzTJtN.jpg even with the exe in the mods directory and after me pointing it to the correct directory when it asked me where I wanted to install it to. I ultimately had to create a mods folder in the top level of the c drive and copy Final Frontier to it to get it to work.

Top Bottom