Are 'steam key' sites legit?

twilson1972

Warlord
Hey all

Ive decided to get BNW finally, i spend enough time playing it to get the expansion (i am on g&k with the dlc)

On steam the cost is £20.00 (about 30 dollars) for the expansion

However there are sites such as cdkeys, and g2play offering it for 6 pounds

Obviously i want to save money, but not break the law! does anyone know if these sites are ok to use or is steam the only legal purchase place?

Thanks

Steam isn't the only seller. Sites like greenmangaming or GOG are also 100% legit but will practice similar price to Steam with different promotions.

However the key resellers you're talking about are in a rather grey area. Steam obviously is against it but their way of detecting it are limited. The way these sites acquire their keys is rather simple. They exploit sales and cross country price differences. They buy keys for cheap with promotions and/or from another country and then sell it to you. There is also the possibility that they use more illegal ways to do it like stolen credit card.

Buying from them would not break the law. It may be a breach of Steam user agreement though (which isn't law) so you'd have to check into that but afaik the terms are rather vague. Many people use it without consequences. I would avoid the Russian keys that require a VPN like the plague though in all cases (this is clearly in violation of the user TOA).

I ordered a game (that are Steamed) and it came with the Steam key missing. Amazon sent me a replacement and the Steam key was missing in that as well! Eventually, Amazon just gave me my money back.

Also if you check Amazon replies on some products, more people are complaining about the Steam key not being with the product, or the key is already used.

I`ll bet there`s a small ring of criminals nicking Steam keys and selling them. No one seems to be doing anything about stopping it.

You can buy the game from somewhere other than steam, but you should be careful that you're buying from a legit retailer.

I don't know a thing about the ones OP mentioned.

I would be very suspicious of anyone other than Steam claiming to sell you a legitimate Steam key at a "discount". Sure, it might not be strictly illegal, but it's probably a rip-off regardless. If the price is a real concern, just wait for the game to go on sale from Steam itself, or a reputable site like GOG.

There are many legal game sites like Gog, GreenManGaming, GameStop, HumbleBundle etc. Just wait for discount on one of them and get it.

I'd never suggest you to buy codes from "Steam Key" sites. It may be cheap, you may not break the law but since I don't know how that works exactly, those kind of sites always sound suspicious to me.

Regards.

I'll say there is nothing wrong with g2a. They have a security option for an extra dollar, and they have sellers with various price options from various regions, so you can match yours appropriately.

My copy of Beyond Earth came from there and ended up being a preorder version. The seller almost certainly took a loss.

P.s., coincidentally my father is a T. Wilson born in 1972

Mate wait for the summer sale, get it at 75% off, it'll be the best moneyyou've ever spent.

This is usually the strategy I go for. Especially if it's already close to summer.
Unless you are really itching to play. I haven't heard of the places OP listed, but they sound kinda sketchy to me lol

I just bought Civ BE from G2A and the transaction went just fine (and for a very nice discount I must add).

(I must add though that my previous transaction wasn't going through at all although my card status was fine, they probably improved something).

Top Bottom