Cultural victory on marathon

Possible but very difficult (and tedious) on Epic with 3000BC China or India.

You need Himeji Castle + Sistine Chapel and Cathedrals of at least 3 different religions.

Haven't tried Marathon.

Legendary culture in Epic mode is at 75000 whereas in marathon its 150000. I managed to get 75000 culture for almost all my cities before 1900 as the French, but that was in Marathon mode. It was after that attempt why I asked this question. Looks like a job for Youtien if you ask me !

Haven't tried it myself, but would starting as Egypt and continuing as Rome on easiest difficulty still fit your requirements?

That would give you a lot of turns and the ability to deny opponents their wonders.

(Rome ub gives additional GPpoints. Egypt starts at the start of the game. Easiest difficulty for faster tech to get the cultureyielding advances sooner.)

Egypt is the best imo, you can get the sphynx for the prophet great works and 3-4 religions in your cities pretty easy - discover christianity, then either oracle divine right or just wait for arab spawn for islam, zoro from persia 4th one is really whatever spreads the christian culture wonders are gonna be of good use also egypt can defend itself rather well due to the choke point on the Suez Canal.

The problem with Egypt is :

1) Roman invasion

2) Arab Spawn and flip !

3) Keeping up with the rest of the world.

This sort of problem is unfortunately common for most 3000 BC civs. There is some spawn which saps away your best cities or creates horrible problems for you. Or there is some invasion event.

Rome too won't be good because you'll have to deal with all the European spawns. The trick is to invest in military and science while keeping up culture.

Don't be too gloomy about it. After all, problems are just opportunities in disguise ;)

Although the latest cultural victory I achieven in DoC is a couple of versions back I'm yet unconvinced a cultural victory in this version can't be done.

In the past wonder stacking gave me one city with legendary culture for free (on marathon, emeror) relatively early for almost every civ.

A second one did not seem too much of a problem. The third one, now that would be the challenge.

The biggest problem to me seems to be the very long iteration cycle. Completing several games from start to (almost) finish on marathon takes a huge amount of time.

^
|

Just checked if this is still the case. It is. Cultural victory gets achieved at about 2/3 of the total gameturns (easiest difficulty though).

City states is your friend.​

^
|

Just checked if this is still the case. It is. Cultural victory gets achieved at about 2/3 of the total gameturns (easiest difficulty though).

City states is your friend.​

Could you please post a guide ? Which civ did you use to achieve this ?

Not really a guide, but I wrote down what I did under the spoiler tag to get to the cultural vicotry.
Spoiler :

(part1: preplay as Egypt)

difficulty heir
speed marathon

Start as egypt.
reason: on marathon 1 chariot is very strong for a very long time.
Found the city 1n of the starting location so you have acces to wheat.
Build a worker. Start researching animal husbandry for the chariot.
After the worker build warriors for happiness.
Research pottery next for cottages.
Build a road and a pasture on the horse (road can be prebuilt)
Rush the chariot asap.

Be unpossible Lucky (/reload) and capture Jerusalem and raze babylon.
(upgrade your chariot to march)
After you get march you are strong enough to beat the chinesese and greeks (raze both)

In the meantime cottage up your lands. Start with the stone and the marble (you want those wonders built by Rome, not Egypt) you will have one additional worker from babylon and one from China.

start researching Hinduism (meditation), Judaism (monotheism) and Zoroastrianism (monarchy).

(rush only the second settler)
Found Melpum/Mediolanum (spot) or Spalatum (spot) before you researched hinduism so hinduism gets foundend there.

Found Judaism in your capitol and Zoroastrianism in the third (final) city.

Faze both greek cities and make sure to lose Jerusalem and don't recapture Jeruisalem. Don't raze any more cities (you want to remain as stable as possible).

Send about 4 workers to Italy (I kept one to continue building cottages in Egypt, keeping two might have been better because you can't allow the roman cities to grow to big because of expansion stability penalties) and improve the lands (build pastures, quarries and roads).

ignore India, Phoenicia/Carthage and Persia.

Research mining and horsebackriding.

I didn't build a jewish missionary, but getting Judaism to Italy will help.

Switch to Rome.
(make sure to reach a city of yours that will flip to Rome the turn after you switched civilizations)

(part 2: Rome)

Rome will start Confucianism (mathematics).

Build a forge (don't be shy to chop it) and a granary in Rome. Afther that the great cothon. (along with the floating gardens that will be all the classical/pantheon wonders you will build in Rome)

Build forges (and granaries) in Mediolanum and Spolatum (they will have egyptian names though) and all the classical wonders. Keep enough forests for health around in your BFC (even number) but chop everything else. You want those wonders asap.

Before you start building wonders make sure to build (don't chop, that's a waste) a hindu temple so buddhism gets founded in Rome.

Research literature and construction before orthodoxy (theology will obsolete some of your wonders) and use the oracle to get divine right (obsoletes the great library)

All new religions will be founded in Rome.

Switch to buddhism to build the Shwedagon Paya (for the free religion civic) don't forget to trade with egypt.

Don't build any additional cities. Keep city states as a civic.

Use great prophets to found profitable shrines.

Settle great generals in Spalatum (so you can get better triremes against the barb navy)

divide the other great people over Spalatum and Mediolanum (Mediolanum needs them a little more)

After Shwedagon Paya build the Terracotta army (and the great wall) and you will need very few additional units to fend of the barbs.

France and Germany will start rather weak because you chopped so many of their forests so I advise you to vassalize them asap (I didn't and had to suffer suboptimal spots for Mediolanum and Spalatum for quite some time (eventually Byzantium and Germany vassalized peacefully)

big contributors to the culture are

...drumroll...

:band:

3. Himeji Castle
2. The Sistine Chapel

honorable mention: Blue Mosque

and 1. Wat Preah Pisnulok
(the synergy between shrines (great prophet) and city states (+1 :food: for every citizen (so great persons net food)) and artist slots is very strong.)

Also Absolutism (civil service) helps a lot.

Even by the time I achieved the cultural victory (2/3 of the game) setteling great artists yielded a (much) better return on culture than creating great works (and they also provide additional gold and food).

Use conquerers to get your hands on corn and temporary switch back to pantheon for one additional 'classical' wonder for each of your 3 main cities.

And that is pretty much it.

Perhaps conquering 6 cities for a short time to get an additional golden age is worth it (it probably is) But I decided against it because I figured I wouldn't get much mileage out of the triumphal arc (even with absolutism Rome is non stop building buildings and wonders)

Rome got legendare at about half of the game and the other two cities at about 2/3.

I didn't mention national wonders (sofar), but they should be built at your discretion. (only the national galery and the opera house really matter, they would go to waste in your capitol (Rome) if you got the Blue Mosque there.)

Not really a guide, but I wrote down what I did under the spoiler tag to get to the cultural vicotry.
Spoiler :

(part1: preplay as Egypt)

difficulty heir
speed marathon

Start as egypt.
reason: on marathon 1 chariot is very strong for a very long time.
Found the city 1n of the starting location so you have acces to wheat.
Build a worker. Start researching animal husbandry for the chariot.
After the worker build warriors for happiness.
Research pottery next for cottages.
Build a road and a pasture on the horse (road can be prebuilt)
Rush the chariot asap.

Be unpossible Lucky (/reload) and capture Jerusalem and raze babylon.
(upgrade your chariot to march)
After you get march you are strong enough to beat the chinesese and greeks (raze both)

In the meantime cottage up your lands. Start with the stone and the marble (you want those wonders built by Rome, not Egypt) you will have one additional worker from babylon and one from China.

start researching Hinduism (meditation), Judaism (monotheism) and Zoroastrianism (monarchy).

(rush only the second settler)
Found Melpum/Mediolanum (spot) or Spalatum (spot) before you researched hinduism so hinduism gets foundend there.

Found Judaism in your capitol and Zoroastrianism in the third (final) city.

Faze both greek cities and make sure to lose Jerusalem and don't recapture Jeruisalem. Don't raze any more cities (you want to remain as stable as possible).

Send about 4 workers to Italy (I kept one to continue building cottages in Egypt, keeping two might have been better because you can't allow the roman cities to grow to big because of expansion stability penalties) and improve the lands (build pastures, quarries and roads).

ignore India, Phoenicia/Carthage and Persia.

Research mining and horsebackriding.

I didn't build a jewish missionary, but getting Judaism to Italy will help.

Switch to Rome.
(make sure to reach a city of yours that will flip to Rome the turn after you switched civilizations)

(part 2: Rome)

Rome will start Confucianism (mathematics).

Build a forge (don't be shy to chop it) and a granary in Rome. Afther that the great cothon. (along with the floating gardens that will be all the classical/pantheon wonders you will build in Rome)

Build forges (and granaries) in Mediolanum and Spolatum (they will have egyptian names though) and all the classical wonders. Keep enough forests for health around in your BFC (even number) but chop everything else. You want those wonders asap.

Before you start building wonders make sure to build (don't chop, that's a waste) a hindu temple so buddhism gets founded in Rome.

Research literature and construction before orthodoxy (theology will obsolete some of your wonders) and use the oracle to get divine right (obsoletes the great library)

All new religions will be founded in Rome.

Switch to buddhism to build the Shwedagon Paya (for the free religion civic) don't forget to trade with egypt.

Don't build any additional cities. Keep city states as a civic.

Use great prophets to found profitable shrines.

Settle great generals in Spalatum (so you can get better triremes against the barb navy)

divide the other great people over Spalatum and Mediolanum (Mediolanum needs them a little more)

After Shwedagon Paya build the Terracotta army (and the great wall) and you will need very few additional units to fend of the barbs.

France and Germany will start rather weak because you chopped so many of their forests so I advise you to vassalize them asap (I didn't and had to suffer suboptimal spots for Mediolanum and Spalatum for quite some time (eventually Byzantium and Germany vassalized peacefully)

big contributors to the culture are

...drumroll...

:band:

3. Himeji Castle
2. The Sistine Chapel

honorable mention: Blue Mosque

and 1. Wat Preah Pisnulok
(the synergy between shrines (great prophet) and city states (+1 :food: for every citizen (so great persons net food)) and artist slots is very strong.)

Also Absolutism (civil service) helps a lot.

Even by the time I achieved the cultural victory (2/3 of the game) setteling great artists yielded a (much) better return on culture than creating great works (and they also provide additional gold and food).

Use conquerers to get your hands on corn and temporary switch back to pantheon for one additional 'classical' wonder for each of your 3 main cities.

And that is pretty much it.

Perhaps conquering 6 cities for a short time to get an additional golden age is worth it (it probably is) But I decided against it because I figured I wouldn't get much mileage out of the triumphal arc (even with absolutism Rome is non stop building buildings and wonders)

Rome got legendare at about half of the game and the other two cities at about 2/3.

I didn't mention national wonders (sofar), but they should be built at your discretion. (only the national galery and the opera house really matter, they would go to waste in your capitol (Rome) if you got the Blue Mosque there.)

Seems the real trick is in the early game. I'll try this one time and let you know how it goes for me. The toughest bit here seem to be getting lucky with the chariot conquests in the very early game.

Really. Building a single chariot and reloading improbable fights until you win them no matter the odds? That's no guide, if I was willing to resort to such gratuitous cheating I might as well give me a tank with Worldbuilder instead. I can understand reloading if you are unlucky (e.g. losing a 99% battle) but reloading to get extremely lucky (winning a 1% battle) is imo not something that should be part of any serious guide.

I don't believe that for a second, especially when you are starting from 3.000BC. Sure I guess you would win later than in BtS, but since the AI is incapable of winning itself all you have to do is win before the 2020AD deadline, and I can't imagine that being impossible. Maybe I should actually try it out next week when I'm done writing that paper for uni I have been putting off for half a year only to realize that I have to write 15 pages in four days and I haven't even started and why am I posting in forums when I should be working :run:

@ Imp.Knoedel

I'll choose to disregard you not reading all of the post. (try the first line)
And switch to the interesting part, when do you consider reloading legitimate?

A warchariot vs a fortified archer in Jerusalem is a chance of 41.3%. It takes you 98 turns on marathon (difficulty heir) to get there. These are your worst odds.

I consider replaying those turns with those odds a waste of time. (If you play out this scenario twice the result is already almost 66% to succeed at least once)

Honestly if you don't like these odds I recommend reloading games where you had a lucky victory and replay so that you lose that battle.

The impossible Lucky part will come into account because you will (likely) be doing this multiple times. It only takes 7 combats of 90% chance or worse for victory to have a chance less than 50% that you will survive (win) them all.

The real problem is that the combat in civ4 fails horribly (well, that might be putting it a bit strong, I consider it is just to be the weakest part of the game) civ1 did it much better.(it had absolute outcomes and zone of controll)

When people are playing your game wrong it is not the people who are faulty but your design that has failed.

A warchariot vs a fortified archer in Jerusalem is a chance of 41.3%.

Wait, really? Huh, I thought the odds would be way lower than that. In that case I guess it's kind of okay if taken on its own, but your Chariot should still have taken some damage, enough to be killed when Jerusalem counterattacks the next turn, unless you move a tile away with your remaining move and heal before attacking again. Still, it just rubs me the wrong way that you are able to wipe out three civs and one independent city state with a single Chariot.

Top Bottom