ID strikes back

Aphex_Twin

Evergreen
If ID cannot fit into the school science curriculum, at least they can push it through the back door. Quite interesting, as that certain class deals in equally weird theories. So who had Philosophy in school?

Legislator wants intelligent design

SALT LAKE CITY, Aug. 11 (UPI) -- A Utah legislator says if evolution is taught in biology, then the idea of an intelligent force creating the universe should to be taught in philosophy.

Evolution still being debated in Kansas (August 9, 2005) -- The Kansas Board of Education is expected to soon adopt revised science standards encouraging students to challenge aspects of the theory of ... > full story

New group fights to defend Darwinism (July 20, 2005) -- A grass-roots organization calling itself the Message Group is fighting the Christian right and others by defending the teaching of Darwinian ... > full story

Smithsonian to screen anti-evolution film (May 29, 2005) -- An anti-evolution group has announced plans to screen a documentary at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History. The ... > full story

Kansas ends evolution hearing (May 14, 2005) -- The Kansas Board of Education ended its hearing this week on whether students will study intelligent design along with evolution in science ... > full story

Analysis: Evolution dispute continues (May 5, 2005) -- Eighty years after the Monkey Trial over evolution, the debate over teaching creationism in schools rages on with a hearing in Kansas, criticism of ... > full story

State Sen. Chris Buttars, a Republican, said if the two sides can't compromise, Buttars said he will sponsor a bill to address the issue.

"Legislation is a last resort," he said. "I'm still working

on it, but I'm really not highly hopeful we'll come to a consensus."

State education officials said they don't want to change curriculum.

The issue surrounds human evolution and the concept of "intelligent design," based on the idea that life is too complex to be explained solely by Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection and evolution, reported Salt Lake City Deseret News Thursday.

Critics say intelligent design is a reference to God and divine creation. Buttars says intelligent design says nothing about God.

Copyright 2005 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

(could be an accident, but it was during old Phil classes that I had a revelation about Atheism ;) )

Philosophy is taught in a few public schools and it is WIDELY taught in private schools, both run of the mill Catholic schools and elite private schools like Andover and Exeter. Talking here of pre-college schools.

I...don't see what's wrong with teaching creationism in a philosophy class. Probably would be a better fit for a comparative religion class...but...this is better than in biology.

Well ID doesn't claim to be a philosophy. It makes (unsupported, willfully ignorant, poorly reasoned, unfalsifiable) scientific claims.

Really ID makes no sense in the context of a philosophy course either given that it's intellectually bankrupt. Where's the discussion or reasoning? "God did it" is not a "philosophy" you can base a seminar around, is it? ;) It in fact ESCHEWS a process of discovery or reasoning. It's "Old Thrashbarg" theology. Believe - or burn!

Modern gov. should ensure the children get a secular education.

If the parents are fundies, OK, they can brainwash their children at home.

Religious schools should be banned.

The Last Conformist said:
IDists don't make many actual claims these days ...

Yeah, yeah :p

My point is all of ID can be boiled down to "I don't understand how this can have evolved so let's just pretend it was designed." Isn't that a stance of fundamentally REFUSING to pursue knowledge? How is it anywhere near a valid philosophy? Much less something we want taught theoretically.

I thought ID had to do with psychology :hmm:. Or the comic Wizard of ID :hmm:.

CivGeneral said:

ID = Intelligent Design :)

CivGeneral said:

Heck, I was wondering why I was striking back, and who I was striking back against - did someone strike me first? :confused:

I say go ahead and teach the larger philosophical question ID raises - "Faith vs proof" in Philosophy, and use ID vs Darwin as a real-world example of that conflict.

IglooDude said:
Heck, I was wondering why I was striking back, and who I was striking back against - did someone strike me first? :confused:

BTW, shouldn't you change your avatar, now, when she is dead? ;)

If they were actually paying attention they would realize that something like intelligent design is already covered in numerous philosophies. But they aren't, and their children will also lack a good education if they have their way.

This situation is serving one useful purpose though...it is showing one of the serious problems with democracy. Maybe if ID becomes the mainstream the thinkers of this century will get their heads out of their asses and realize that we haven't achieved the ultimate possible form of human society. ;)

The whole thing is probably part of the republican propaganda machine anyway, in an effort to create some contentious religious issues to fire up the fundamentalists in the elections. Frightening how easily people are manipulated when you use their religion. When GWB finally is no longer president, he will probably try to become 'pope' for the fundamentalists in the US...

Winner said:
BTW, shouldn't you change your avatar, now, when she is dead?

She's not dead, there's like 10 of her :p. One of whom seems to be helping Starbuck escape Caprica :). God I love that show.

Anywho, my school doesn't have Philosophy, but it has something called Theory of Knowledge that most of the smart kids take and they probably talk about ID already, as well as evolution and anything else you can think of. The teacher's very open minded :D .

As long as biology class is next and they have a teacher like me I'm cool with it.

CivGeneral said:
That's Id (the "D" is not capitolized)

The Last Conformist said:
You mean, megalomania should be a requirement for biology teachers? :confused:
I thinking more of the ability and willingness to shutdown crappy ID arguements. Megalomania is good too, though.

Top Bottom