The Doctor is coming, the Doctor is coming!!

Yeah, that was an act of courage.

This episode was... hit and miss. It started out really interesting, I thought. Then it got bizarre, and finally wasn't too bad.

But if this new Doctor is going to talk so damn fast all the time, I'm going to need subtitles. :huh:

He talks more slowly than the last two, I think!

I liked this very much. This Doctor really does seem more old-school. None of that "I'm so sorry..." business - he's got practically Hartnell levels of callousness!

The first half of the episode had more characterization for most individual characters involved than all of series 7 for every character together.

And I like what the new doctor let them do. That story wouldn't ahve worked with the Tenth or the Eleventh. Ninth probably would have made it work.

Definitely liking Capaldi so far.

But if this new Doctor is going to talk so damn fast all the time, I'm going to need subtitles. :huh:
He talks more slowly than the last two, I think!
I gave up trying to understand Smith's Doctor. His whole run was a mess, from the way he played the character to the convoluted nonsense that was supposed to be a storyline. Goodbye and good riddance.

But Capaldi does talk too fast for me. I've rewatched the episode and there are times when I just cannot figure out what he's saying. I need either subtitles or a transcript.

I have the leaked postproduction scripts. PM me your email address and I could send them to you for any points that need clarifying, at least for the first five episodes.

Also, you're totally wrong about Matt Smith, but I'm happy enough with where the show is now that I don't want to dwell too much on that. How do you feel about Capaldi insofar as you can understand him?

I have the leaked postproduction scripts. PM me your email address and I could send them to you for any points that need clarifying, at least for the first five episodes.

Also, you're totally wrong about Matt Smith, but I'm happy enough with where the show is now that I don't want to dwell too much on that. How do you feel about Capaldi insofar as you can understand him?
I'm not wrong about Matt Smith. It's not wrong to have the opinion that his run of stories was a convoluted mess and that I shouldn't need a flowchart to make sense of it - even if it can be made sense of, which is doubtful considering that people on Doctor Who forums are still arguing about it.

I'm not familiar with Capaldi's other work, so he's completely brand new to me. Other than his talking too fast, I haven't found any problems so far. Mind you, I slept through the last half of the first episode, so I don't know if anything happened there that I wouldn't have liked.

Matt Smith's stories all made sense to me. I don't think they were any more convoluted than anything David Tennant had, or for that matter most of the old Doctors. At least at no point did Matt Smith get prosecuted by a later non-existent version of himself. Personally I thought Smith was superb - at least the equal of Tennant, though in some ways very different.

It's true that Steven Moffat seems to emphasise the logical problems with the Doctor more than Russell T. Davies did. Davies seemed to me to take a much more mawkish approach while Moffat is a bit more cerebral. I prefer Moffat's approach, but it seems that a lot of people don't. But with a programme like this it's impossible to please everyone.

I wonder, BTW, if Capaldi's use of his Scottish accent is a nod to Amy Pond. I understood that Tennant adopted an estuary accent for his Doctor specifically because that's how Rose Tyler spoke, and the idea was that the regenerating Doctor modelled his speech on hers. (Or maybe Capaldi can't do accents - he does sound a lot more specifically Glaswegian than she did.)

Matt Smith's stories all made sense to me. I don't think they were any more convoluted than anything David Tennant had, or for that matter most of the old Doctors. At least at no point did Matt Smith get prosecuted by a later non-existent version of himself. Personally I thought Smith was superb - at least the equal of Tennant, though in some ways very different.
The Valeyard was an intriguing idea that the nuWho producers decided to ignore, along with the fact that the Fifth Doctor's sonic screwdriver was destroyed and therefore couldn't have been part of the massive calculation effort by all the Doctors in the 50th anniversary story.

I wonder, BTW, if Capaldi's use of his Scottish accent is a nod to Amy Pond. I understood that Tennant adopted an estuary accent for his Doctor specifically because that's how Rose Tyler spoke, and the idea was that the regenerating Doctor modelled his speech on hers. (Or maybe Capaldi can't do accents - he does sound a lot more specifically Glaswegian than she did.)
It's not the accent that I have trouble with; it's how fast he talks. As for Tennant's accent, I really like his natural accent. It's very pleasing to the ears.

Well, Tennant's accent is a more neutral Scottish, which I agree is easier on the ear, although where he's from isn't far from Glasgow. Sylvester McCoy had a more rural Scottish accent, which I think is nicer. A truly Glaswegian accent like Capaldi's does sound harsher and it can be hard to understand, at least if you're English. The sitcom Rab C. Nesbitt had an entirely Glaswegian cast and many people (including me) used to watch it with subtitles because it really was very difficult to follow.

The Valeyard was an intriguing idea that the nuWho producers decided to ignore, along with the fact that the Fifth Doctor's sonic screwdriver was destroyed and therefore couldn't have been part of the massive calculation effort by all the Doctors in the 50th anniversary story.

I'm pretty sure it was the TARDISes doing the calculations, not the sonic screwdrivers. Regardless, the Tenth Doctor's was also destroyed in The Eleventh Hour, and it was still involved in the door-dissentigration calculations. It doesn't strike me as too far-fetched that the Time Lords might have developed something analogous to cloud-based computing.

_random_ points out The Eleventh Hour and the destruction of the Tenth Doctor's screwdriver. To add to that: it also shows the new screwdriver is constructed by the TARDIS itself. It's not too big a jump to assume the pair are linked.

At any rate, which calculations? If it's the door one, then the Fifth Doctor's screwdriver has no input and, indeed, none of them do - the door wasn't locked so they didn't get to test the theory. If it's the Gallifrey calculations, then the TARDIS had to have been involved: the First Doctor didn't have a screwdriver and he showed up anyway.

... which is doubtful considering that people on Doctor Who forums are still arguing about it.

Doctor Who forums - and fan-based forums in general - will argue over the most minuscule of things. The Matt Smith era is not that hard to follow. Easier than Ghost Light, at any rate ;)

I find the Matt Smith era impossible to follow, and at any rate, he has the honor of being the only actor to ever play the Doctor who I absolutely loathed in the part.

As you like. I can't imagine ever actually "loathing" an actor in a TV show, particularly Doctor Who, but then I have to remember I wasn't that fond of Jon Pertwee. Particularly with regards to the sandwich incident.

What sandwich incident?

It was The Sandwich Incident. The only one. My word, how many sandwich incidents do you think Doctor Who had?

Spoiler :
Alright, so it's The Sea Devils. Poor Jo Grant has been attacked by, well, Sea Devils, then forced to work her way through barbed wire and, I think, mines. She makes it back to base with the Doctor and is kindly provided with some sandwiches to raise her spirits.

Then the Doctor only goes and bloody nicks her sandwiches for himself and, when discovering they're quite tasty, offers them around to everyone else in the room. When they get back to poor Jo the plate is empty and the Doctor offers the most feeble of apologies.

It's the only time I ever shouted at the Doctor. The bloody toff.

It's been decades since I last saw that story! :huh:

Well the caveman was slowing them down, wasn't he? And the Doctor learned that humanity might be a species worth keeping an eye on when Ian showed some, er, humanity in stopping him.

The Third Doctor was all, "Whups, ate your sandwiches, Jo. Bad luck." and moved on.

Top Bottom