The Doctor is coming, the Doctor is coming!!

I think that’s Colin Baker you’re referring to!

I should have remembered. I did see a couple of pictures posted elsewhere and yeah, Tom still has hair. Not as much as before and it's all white, but he's still got some.

But even so, he's still not as vain as Shatner.

Well, I watched the Fourteenth Doctor specials. That didn't take long! Their sheer quality of both the writing and the acting really showed up the weakness of the Chibnall era. Davies seems to know what he's doing so much more securely. All three were strong, and it was great seeing Neil Patrick Harris in the final one, as he's always good value.

That said, I don't know why Davies is so obsessed with awful mothers. Not only has he brought back Donna complete with her awful mother, but Donna herself is now an awful mother too. Does he do this in his non-Who work as well? I've never seen any of it so have no idea!

I wasn't convinced by the ending though. The final Thirteenth Doctor story revolved around a weird regeneration (which was a rather brilliant idea, I thought). It then ended with an unexpectedly weird regeneration. And the Fourteenth Doctor goes out with the weirdest regeneration to date. It doesn't really make much sense to me and really disrupts the continuity of the character, at least for me. But of course, Who has always rewritten the rules and made it all up as it goes along, rather as Voyager travels at the speed of plot, so one can't really complain on that score.

Overall, the Fourteenth Doctor is a nice idea which was done well, and certainly raises the bar for the Fifteenth. It's a shame to see him go so quickly, but that's the nature of guest stars and TV specials that are designed to be event TV.

Top Bottom