Who declares war on Pleased?

To be more accurate, every leader can declare war while friendly with the target civ ( or in any other diplo stance ). What they don't do is start planning a war above a leader dependent threshold, a quite diferent situation.... besides the fact they can change the diplo stance after starting the war plans ( and this can make a huge diference, especially in maps where the AI can't reach immediately the target via land ), the AI can start wars by a handful of other mechanisms besides this kind of planning ( AP resolution, peaceful vassaling, refuse of a demand ( this one happens a lot ), events, Defensive pact, bribe .... and even a bug while playing with no espionage option in 3.17 and above related to a event that has only one option allowed in that setting, that is war ), so use this knowledge with a pint or two of salt ;)

P.S the Catherine situation is a little diferent: Catherine will not start planning a war vs a target she is friendly with, but will acept be bribed against it :crazyeye: ... a "I'll not fight you in even terms, but will backstab you" situation that happens a lot with the stock leaders of Civ IV :p
Pretty sure AI only demand tribute at caucious or below. So someone shouldn't be surprised if they get DOWED on after refusing a tribute demand :p

Anyone who even remotely likes me is almost always far away so I have no need to declare war. Everyone who is near me hates me for just being so awesome. :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I know this isn't on topic, but in my current game, Shaka got the Pyramids (!!!) and immieitly went Police State. Now he's got 2 vassals, and some of the AI's are scared to war with him >_>

Never thought he'd get the Pyramids lol (never saw a warlike civ get it ala Monty/Ragnar etc)

On topic, surprised that Willium DOWs at pleased. He seems so passive o.o

The same thing happened to me once, Shaka was one of my neighbours and built the pyramids and switched to police state and then completely crushed me. It was a Legends of Revolution game with start as minors, so we started at war and I couldn't convince him not to destroy me after I could conduct diplomacy.

Shaka does build wonders sometimes (he has a WonderConstructRand of 10%), with the pyramids and police state he actually become pretty unstoppable.

Willem on the other hand doesn't seem to build much of a military, so even if he'd declare at pleased he rarely has enough of an army to do anything with. I never see him do well at anything really though in all the games I've seen him in.

I remember when I use to care about relationship before declaring. Now it's "Who's Closest and strongest."
Why not "closest and weakest?"

Why not "closest and weakest?"

Because you want to eliminate your strongest opponents first, as they're the more likely contestants for the win.

Moreover, on high level play you usually beeline a superior unit (cuirassiers, cannons) which allow you to mop up the hordes of that 'strongest' opponent easily; if they'd have been at tech-parity, that would be much harder.

Don't forget the leaders (like Suleiman and De Gaulle) who can be bribed to DoW you at pleased, but won't plot against you at pleased.

Top Bottom