Rule Change: Publication of Infraction Appeal Threads

Keep it in place - it creates a barrier to infracting those willing and able to amount a persuasive appeal and not afraid of having their PMs made public.

You seem to be suggesting that you think the system acts to distort the proper application of the rules, perhaps unfairly discriminating against those who, for example, are non-native English speakers? Do you think allowances should be made for those who have greater difficulty artfully expressing themselves?

Keep it in place - it creates a barrier to infracting those willing and able to amount a persuasive appeal and not afraid of having their PMs made public.

I don't know if that's the case, since most of the infractions are upheld. But it certainly helps those who have a legitimate case.

And I don't think that more articulate posters are more likely to get good judgments...that would imply that the moderators favor more articulate posters, rather than just judging the context of the violation as they seem to be doing.

You seem to be suggesting that you think the system acts to distort the proper application of the rules, perhaps unfairly discriminating against those who, for example, are non-native English speakers? Do you think allowances should be made for those who have greater difficulty artfully expressing themselves?

At the risk of having Lefty assigned to stalk my posting, I think that non-Texans should be a little wary before taking action moderator against a poster who is a native Texan speaker.

I vote that the open appeals threads continue existing.

As I've already said, I don't find PDMA very...exciting? Perhaps it's due to the nature of the forum; after all, most infractions are blatantly obvious and most posters don't appeal them, and there seems to be few times where the mods are on the fence.

Maybe I just want them to be showy trials where we can eat popcorn and listen as opposed to just staring as mods arbiter their decisions. I don't know which's better.

Several of us do not appeal because we got fed up with the lopsided standards we find and it's easier to just let an infraction stand and eventually go away.

Several of us do not appeal because we got fed up with the lopsided standards we find and it's easier to just let an infraction stand and eventually go away.
Except it doesn't go away. It's part of your permanent record, from the very first yellow card to the most recent one, whenever that was.

There are times when warnings and infractions should be appealed, because misunderstandings and misinterpretations happen. Sometimes all it takes is someone misusing a word because their first language isn't English.

I am in favor of the Infraction Review subforum staying in place.

Except it doesn't go away. It's part of your permanent record, from the very first yellow card to the most recent one, whenever that was.

Perhaps this is the real problem. It means you can earn a permanent ban from infractions that occurred years ago.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to appeal the permanent ban of former member Doomen.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to appeal the appeal for the Domen's ban. You can meet with my lawyers at 3 PM GMT +2.

Maybe. Had Quackers been the same but the ordinary left-winger in this forum, he'd still be here. A few infractions here and there.

If publication of the appeals threads continue, I could easily envisage a situation where a party harmed by an alleged infraction, that is the party who the infractor acted against, would not want a personal attack to be republished as part of an appeal. If I recall, there was a situation where an infraction was placed against a party for making rude comments about the victim's mental health or some such.

If the publication of appeals continues, I would recommend that the mid staff discuss such scenarios and develop a means to handle them. It would be unfortunate if the publication of an appeal rubbed salt into the wound of a victim.

Perhaps the victim could be contacted prior to publication to see if he consents to the publication of the appeal. This probably wouldn't be necessary in all cases, but one could easily imagine a case where it would be the civil thing to do.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to appeal the appeal for the Domen's ban. You can meet with my lawyers at 3 PM GMT +2.

That is a) not unrelated, and b) the appeal was addressed to moderators. (By the way, there's no such thing as 'appealing an appeal'.)

If publication of the appeals threads continue, I could easily envisage a situation where a party harmed by an alleged infraction, that is the party who the infractor acted against, would not want a personal attack to be republished as part of an appeal.
We already deal with and have dealt with this type situation, when serious, with redaction.

By the way, I am freely breaking PDMA rule by commenting in the case. Feel free to to infract if that offends someone's need for asserting authority.
Moderator Action: Well, then please do not break the PDMA rule.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I came by to PM a few fellow Canadians on yesterday's exciting federal election!

Just thought I'd drop Leif Erikson a note on the way out: It's not courteous to delete other people's comment. Lefty Scaevola should've taught you that the proper way a volunteer should conduct himself in CFC would be to assign a couple of CFC game points (which you didn't) and leave the message intact as evidence.

I find your service to be unsatisfactory and I demand your retraining by the volunteering staff.

Moderator Action: Violating the PDMA rule is not an appropriate (or an effective) means to argue against the rule.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

fwiw it appears to me the staff damn near bends over backwards to be fair and accomodating. That you even have an appeals system at all is impressive. Keep it.

We have decided to implement the public appeal thread concept on a permanent basis, without any changes. We will consider tweaks to the system as the need arises, so periodic feedback on the system is most welcome.

In my opinion, a permanent infraction should go away when the person who received it admits that he/she was wrong, explains why and shows good behaviour the next months.

Just to be clear on permanent points - they are only given to those posters who are on the 'permanent point program'. Only users who have demonstrated their unwillingness or incapacity to follow the forum rules are placed on this program. Being placed on the program means that the poster has been specifically warned that they will receive permanent points for any subsequent transgression, and will be permanently banned upon reaching 21 permanent points (the equivalent of 7 regular permanent point infractions). The points are therefore 'permanent' in the sense that they all contribute towards a pre-defined endpoint. Permanent points are only given pursuant to this program.

However, users on the program can appeal their place on the program, and if staff think their behaviour has sufficiently changed, they may be released from the program, or have their accumulated permanent points removed in whole or in part.

A very quick look at our staff thread on the matter suggests that there are currently 13 posters on the program, with 8 posters having already been banned as a result of the program. So it only applies to a select few individuals.

My thoughts are that any poster on permapoints who has not received an infraction since this public appeals program started has demonstrated enough of a change in behavior to be removed from the program.

Top Bottom