AND SVN Build Thread

45°38'N-13°47'E;13145348 said:
@dbkblk what revision are you talking about? Beside the fact that epic isn't balanced yet (and same goes for mapsizes different from large or handicap levels different from Noble), in rev685 tech diffusion has been scaled down to 1/3 for humans. I haven't scaled it down for AI for balancing reasons. If you cut it down more than that, you'll end up with just 1 opponent and other civs will fall behind quickly. Believe me, I've tested it many times.
I began a game just after updating to r685 and my thoughts were based on this rev. I noticed that sometimes, i can be high in scores but wayyyyyyyyy below in terms of techs (10 or 15 techs earlier). Maybe, i'm playing onto too high difficulties for my skills (monarch) but i suspect that the cheat in research the ai does is nearly instantaneously shared between them, so they have a too powerful advantage.

For example, a tech that might need 25 turns to be completed will suddently need 1 or 2 turns. This is way too high. That mean you can catch up another civ which have up to 25x more gold into research. Isn't it a bit overpowered ?
If you mean that human have 1/3 of this capacity, that mean the AI can catch up another civ which have 75x the research income ?

Looking further in the real world, USA have drones, satellites, and the Congo barely manage to launch a rocket, even if there is also a natural tech diffusion in the real world ! Differences are unavoidables and part of this game.

For balancing reason, tech diffusion should help everyone to stay some tech late. It might be nice to put a high diffusion if you are 15 techs earlier, a medium for 10 tech, low for 5 techs, and very low otherwise.

However, i might not be a reference for balancing problems as i'm not really skilled.

I began a game just after updating to r685 and my thoughts were based on this rev. I noticed that sometimes, i can be high in scores but wayyyyyyyyy below in terms of techs (10 or 15 techs earlier). Maybe, i'm playing onto too high difficulties for my skills (monarch) but i suspect that the cheat in research the ai does is nearly instantaneously shared between them, so they have a too powerful advantage.

No, then it's not tech diffusion. It's difficulty level. I've scaled iAIResearchPercent a long time ago and it wasn't balanced at all, so AI is researching techs way too fast with difficulty higher than Prince. I'll need to scale it down. Moreover, that score near the minimap doesn't have any meaning that you can really trust. You can be far behind but that score is a sum of techs+culture+military power+population (IIRC), so probably while being behind in techs you had other advantages over AI.

For example, a tech that might need 25 turns to be completed will suddently need 1 or 2 turns. This is way too high. That mean you can catch up another civ which have up to 25x more gold into research. Isn't it a bit overpowered ?

No, it's not and you won't catch up that civ because once you get that tech, you won't do anymore 25x, you will make for example 3x; and if you get closer you will make 1x. Tech diffusion is scaled, so yes, it can help you get some techs that are already known by other civs; but if you select another tech that's not owned by other civs, you'll have to research it all by yourself. So you will always linger behind, no chance of overtaking AI. Say I cut that 25x to 6x; you will fall back even more because being ahead of you, AI will increase its advantage by building wonders or getting Great People. And for AI it's even worse, because if YOU are in the lead, AI has a far harder time catching up. That's why AI help is stronger.

If you mean that human have 1/3 of this capacity, that mean the AI can catch up another civ which have 75x the research income ?

Yes, but it will get such a huge help only for techs far behind, i.e. if AI could need 75 turns to discover Archery and you have Matchlock, it will discover Archery instantly. Doesn't look too strong an advantage to me. If AI is going to research Gunpowder while you research Matchlock, help will be much smaller (1/10 IIRC, or even less). It all depends on how far behind one is in comparison to the other player.
If you don't do it like this, some civs will fall behind very quickly; this in turns leads to many problems like smaller civs falling instantly to other larger civs and AI in general falling behind at an increased rate.
If you are that far behind that you're getting such a huge help for more than 1-2 turns, then probably you're playing at a level too hard for you. Or you were spawned in a very bad and isolated location, without access to other civs until late (Medieval/Renaissance era).

Looking further in the real world, USA have drones, satellites, and the Congo barely manage to launch a rocket, even if there is also a natural tech diffusion in the real world ! Differences are unavoidables and part of this game.

Exactly, they can launch rockets! They don't use muskets anymore. Problem before those changes with tech diffusion that I've introduced some months ago was exactly that AI was lagging behind of 2-3 eras! While I think there should be no more than 1 era difference between civs from Industrial onwards. And that's exactly what's happening now.

For balancing reason, tech diffusion should help everyone to stay some tech late. It might be nice to put a high diffusion if you are 15 techs earlier, a medium for 10 tech, low for 5 techs, and very low otherwise.

However, i might not be a reference for balancing problems as i'm not really skilled.

Number of techs you're behind can be tweaked via xml in Revolution.ini inside UserSettings folder

Code:
[TechDiffusion]

# Enables Debugging information and logging for Tech Diffusion functions

# Default: False

DebugMode = False

# Minimum number of techs a team must be behind before recieving Tech Diffusion bonuses

# Default: 2

MinTechsBehind = 2

# Number of techs a team must be behind before recieving full Tech Diffusion bonuses

# Default: 4

FullEffectTechsBehind = 4

# Offset number of techs behind used to give heavy Tech Diffusion bonuses to very behind civs

# Default: 6

BonusTechsBehind = 6

# Modifier used in Tech Diffusion calculations

# Default: 1.0

DiffusionMod = 1.0

Just be warned that code doesn't understand exactly how many techs you're behind or ahead. That's because you could have left behind a bunch of techs that another civilization possesses but that other civ might have a tech more advanced that you. IIRC tech diffusion is based more on the total number of beakers discovered than on actual number of techs.

Thank you for the explanation. I trust you as a mod leader as you're doing a great job everytime. I'll try to scale down the difficulty to see how it handle.

Thank you for the explanation. I trust you as a mod leader as you're doing a great job everytime. I'll try to scale down the difficulty to see how it handle.

Don't worry, when I'll get my hands on Handicapinfo and other gameinfo files again, it will work like a charm. :)

45°38'N-13°47'E;13145348 said:
2. Tech diffusion can be turned off before you start a game; it can also be tweaked in TechDiffusion_GlobalDefines.xml if you know what you're doing. If you want the old style tech diffusion as it was months ago, all you have to do is change TECH_DIFFUSION_WELFARE_THRESHOLD to something like 30 or less.
If you found 4 ot 5 religion, I hope you're not talking about the same game because that's insane! You're not meant to found all religions, exactly as AI is. By the way I always found Judaism, so you not being able to found it depends on your playstyle, not on the mod.

Sorry if I wasn't clear :crazyeye:
Yes, I was talking about my playstyle. I play with Increasing Difficulty, starting at settler. I am not a hardcore masoist strategist, just wanna enjoy exploration of a new world and get the max out of the game, but with some chalange too. That's why I deliberetly turned off TD in my newest game in TechDiffusion_GlobalDefines.xml: I wanted Judaism and Zoroastrianism being founded on an other continent. I delebarately avoided those techs and beelined for those of my favor.

All my problem was with TD is not fully understanding how it works. But now I am all fine. Great thx for explaining.

At which revision is the 'nightly' build?

After max 24 hours nightly builds are updated with latest SVN changes. Since we've not released any new revision lately, nightly build is updated to latest revision now.

Just in time for everyone's weekend, here is Rev 686: The Cavalry Revision

Units
  • New units: Man-At-Arms, Dragoon, Mounted Rifleman, Lancer, Light Cavalry, Armored Car, Jeep, Hovercar
  • All Missionaries move 2
  • Chariot upgrades to Horse Archer
  • Mounted Infantry upgrades to Man-At-Arms
  • (Old) Light Cavalry renamed Heavy Horseman, can upgrade to Knight
  • Horse Archer upgrades to Heavy Cavalry
  • Heavy Cavalry upgrades to Lancer
  • Trebuchet moved to Invention
  • Arquebusier can upgrade to Dragoon
  • Elephant Bombardier strength reduced to 16
  • Rifleman can upgrade to Mounted Rifleman
  • Cavalry upgrades to Early Tank
  • Motorcycle upgrades to Jeep, speed increased to 3, is now SPECIALUNIT_TROOP instead of SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE, can attack and capture
  • Early Tank can upgrade to Heavy Tank
  • Main Battle Tank can upgrade to Hybrid Tank
  • Hybrid Tank upgrades to Hover Tank or Stealth Armor, increased to speed 3, reduced to Strength 85 and cost 770
  • Modern Armor upgrades to Thermobaric Tank
  • Thermobaric Tank upgrades to Plasma Armor, extra gold maintenance reduced to 2
  • Plasma Armor cost increased to 1500, strength increased to 180, gained 25% bombard rate
  • Deleted Upgrade Discount promotion
Buildings
  • Archery Range moved to Athletics
  • Circus Maximus moved to Horse Breeding and now requires Stables instead of Arenas
  • Forbidden Palace renamed Summer Palace
  • Modern Art Theatre now requires 4 (default) Opera House instead of 4 Theatre + 2 Opera House
  • Modern Granary cost increased to 180
  • Vacation Resort reworked as upgrade of Hotel, no maintenance modifier, war weariness, culture % bonus, or science penalty; added +10% trade route income, 1 free Merchant; culture raised to +4/turn; gold bonus lowered to +10%; happiness from culture reduced to 1 per 10%
  • Bioenhancement Center cost lowered to 1000

Techs
  • Space Stations now required as prereq for Orbital Flight
  • Religion civics moved: Divine Cult moved to Scriptures, State Church to Papacy, Free Church to Humanism, Secular to Constitution

I'm concerned about runtime errors on exit with this version plus the Megapack installed. I was seeing them from time to time, but I haven't seen them with the very latest version.

+1

JosEPh

Just downloaded the nightly build, but somewhere at the middle of the load it just crashed.

Just downloaded the nightly build, but somewhere at the middle of the load it just crashed.

Vokarya has released an update yesterday, you could have downloaded the nightly build while update was in progress. Try again in a few hours, you'll get the latest revision released yesterday.

rev687

• Tuned down a bit Oil Refinery Explosion Event
  • Spy now upgrades to Agent
  • Fixed Unknown Civ Bug
  • Fixed Wonders/Special tabs in city screen so that they can be translated
  • Added a new tag iWonderCapacityIncrement as per Vokarya request, increases number of Wonders that can be built in a city; tag added to Shrines and Sphinx

Edit: @dbkblk, I can't find anymore your last translation that I've downloaded and link is dead. Can you upload it again and update last files that I've updated in this revision (just a couple of them, just text files 45degrees_... and Vokarya's text file)? Thank you.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13166867 said:
@dbkblk, I can't find anymore your last translation that I've downloaded and link is dead. Can you upload it again and update last files that I've updated in this revision (just a couple of them, just text files 45degrees_... and Vokarya's text file)? Thank you.
Sorry i moved the file out of my dropbox while reorganizing my files. Here is the updated translation againt 686 and 687:
AND2_SVN686-687_FRENCH_TRANSLATION.7z
Thanks for the update.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13166867 said:
rev687

• Tuned down a bit Oil Refinery Explosion Event
  • Spy now upgrades to Agent
  • Fixed Unknown Civ Bug
  • Fixed Wonders/Special tabs in city screen so that they can be translated
  • Added a new tag iWonderCapacityIncrement as per Vokarya request, increases number of Wonders that can be built in a city; tag added to Shrines and Sphinx

Great! :)

Is it compatible with the current version of MegaCivPack?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13170016 said:
I think so. No changes have been made that should affect Mega Civ Pack.

I just think of the iWonderCapacityIncrement tag +1 line regarding buildings. I thought that matters :)

Top Bottom