Honor and/or Raging Barbs messed up

Dogmouth

King
Is something wrong with the Honor opener and/or raging barbs? I almost never go honor, so I decided to tilt the scales in Honor's favor by choosing the Aztecs and raging barbs. I got a great start with tons of open space that was blocked off from other civs, so I thought I'd be swimming in barbs in no time. However, something strange happened. Barb encampments NEVER spawned in lands that I had discovered even though no one had visibility into those lands. In other words, the Honor notification never happened, because barbs never spawned. Anyone else have this problem?

Post G&K, Barb camps don't seem to pop up as much. Even with Raging Barbs on. Kind of sad for the Aztec Honor strategy.

Post G&K, Barb camps don't seem to pop up as much. Even with Raging Barbs on. Kind of sad for the Aztec Honor strategy.

In this case, not as much = absolutely never for discovered terrain. It was like nothing I've ever seen. I felt like barbs were almost removed from the game.

Something I have noticed, is that barbs seem to spawn a lot at the very beginning, then rapidly taper off to next to nothing after you've got a few cities decently established. When you're just starting out, you know you can expect 1-5 barbs coming at you from all points of the compass at any given time, while you are trying to juggle exploring the map with protecting your fledgeling cities. But by the time you have a couple cities going well and enough units to protect them and even think about taking on other civs, the barbs go into hibernation. Even the camps that do pop, seldom send out raiding parties. Instead of fast-popping mobs of barbs beelining your workers from 15 tiles away, they rapidly go into no-show mode, and just skulk around within 2-3 tiles of their home camp. This does seem rather odd to me, and must be a programmed behavior change at some point in the timeline. I only play on large or huge maps, so this is even more noticeable and odd than small maps where rapid civ expansion quickly eliminates most barb spawnable areas. Just my observations.

Something I have noticed, is that barbs seem to spawn a lot at the very beginning, then rapidly taper off to next to nothing after you've got a few cities decently established. When you're just starting out, you know you can expect 1-5 barbs coming at you from all points of the compass at any given time, while you are trying to juggle exploring the map with protecting your fledgeling cities. But by the time you have a couple cities going well and enough units to protect them and even think about taking on other civs, the barbs go into hibernation. Even the camps that do pop, seldom send out raiding parties. Instead of fast-popping mobs of barbs beelining your workers from 15 tiles away, they rapidly go into no-show mode, and just skulk around within 2-3 tiles of their home camp. This does seem rather odd to me, and must be a programmed behavior change at some point in the timeline. I only play on large or huge maps, so this is even more noticeable and odd than small maps where rapid civ expansion quickly eliminates most barb spawnable areas. Just my observations.

My very first game in CiV, a barb sacked my capital. I never see them try and attack a city anymore, and only rarely come within my borders. Of course, that could just be because I'm better at the game now. Or, the barbs are better at combat than the other AI's because they know a no-win situation when they see it.;)

This is weird... I went Honor as Genghis w/ raging barbs and found I had 2-3 camps in my revealed map at all times... I couldn't eliminate them fast enough.

This is weird... I went Honor as Genghis w/ raging barbs and found I had 2-3 camps in my revealed map at all times... I couldn't eliminate them fast enough.

Strange. I guess it's not a bug then. I must have just had exceptionally bad luck.

Top Bottom