Chu-Ko-Nu useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to the OP, Cho ko nu are pretty good, but you don't play into them, instead your playstyle works against them. Maybe you should be going for longbows instead.

Rifles with double attack are quite powerful, yes, but I tend to be overly aggressive with them and they die early. Now if they have the Heal after every turn promotion then I tend to keep them around much longer.

A couple of cover promos helps too. Siege is nice for taking down cities.

They are useful, because your Early Archers can still get Range instead of Logistics for faster rate (more units available to shoot). Or they can get Siege for more utility. (ie you can get the promotion you Would have gotten after Logistics Right Now).

Rifles with double attack are quite powerful, yes, but I tend to be overly aggressive with them and they die early. Now if they have the Heal after every turn promotion then I tend to keep them around much longer.

The double attack is not very useful at attacking twice a turn (ironically), but it makes it easier to keep them alive. You can move away after the first attack, in most situations.

For me, the second strongest domination UU after keshiks. Chinese GG and no need in set up make them very powerful.

Agree with this.. I play big games and go all the way with Chu's 2 x attacked and the APC? is awesome...

OP - you just need to adapt your standard promotions with archers for the different unit. Be flexible, if one could effectively play each civ the same way it would be an exceptionally boring game

If we had the exact formula for amount of damage, this debate is resolved.

Shooting twice at weaker strength is useful against lower tech units, but in that case you won anyway. I've said before elsewhere that I prefer regular crossbows against equal tech units like longswords and knights; this thread solidifies my sentiments.

My favourite use for them is shooting tanks. One damage per shot.

It's been awhile since I've played as China, but I actually found the Cho-Ko-Nu pretty useful against cities. They're a fairly cheap unit that doesn't need iron like catapults and trebuchets, aren't quite as fragile as those two, and can move and fire on the same turn (which is useful both for advancing and retreating). Each one is guaranteed to do at least one damage to a city per shot, so each one will always do two damage each turn--sometimes more. With two or three of them and a couple melee units, I remember whittling cities down pretty quickly. Their ability to double-attack also allows them to help your melee and mounted units mow down enemy reinforcements and at the same time keep the city's HP from completely recovering.

Your main issue is playing epic/marathon. The game is balanced around standard in which case it's somewhat hard, at least at higher difficulty levels, to hit the double attack promotion prior to hitting CKNs.

All in all though as people pointed out, you can simply get range +1 on your starting archers. Once you upgrade to CKNs (and add a few more with only range 2) you'll see the ******ed strong benefit and should have np catching up the little exp loss between rank4 range+1 and CKNs that you would've had if you picked multiple attacks instead. Least on epic...marathon promotion mechanics are really imbalanced.

I'm sorry but lot of forums would just cry troll to an obviously obsurd thing to post about. Chu-ko-nu are clearly one of the most powerful units in the game :cringe:

Ok I'll humour you, let's take Honour -> Warrior Code -> Military Tradition. You then have a unit that gains experience 3x times quicker than standard units as it attacks twice per turn + 50% EXP each turn. Add discipline (10%) and a Chinese GG (35%) and according to the OP we have a useless unit.... go figure :king:

Used properly they're borderline overpowered!

Wow, extreme necro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom