Nukes are not nearly damaging enough

I will repeat my question - can nukes be intercepted by anti air? :p

In civ 5? No they cannot be intercepted whatsoever.

^^ only thing you could do is get the bomb shelters. In civilization 4 you could get sdi but not in civilization 5.

That is correct.

Oh there's a way to intercept nuclear missile and atomic bomb stockpiles of the enemies.

Just nuke the city they're in. And they should be destroyed unless firaxis stopped that in the latest patch. xD

Do atomic bombs and nuclear missiles get a strategic resource penalty if the uranium mine is pillaged before the bomb is used, similar to horse or iron units?

Do atomic bombs and nuclear missiles get a strategic resource penalty if the uranium mine is pillaged before the bomb is used, similar to horse or iron units?

Yes, I think if you don't have the resource for the bomb/missile but you have one, it will explode in the city it comes out of when launched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I think if you don't have the resource for the bomb/missile but you have one, it will explode in the city it comes out of when launched.

Really?

Cuz I think I launched nukes while having uranium shortage because I built them before the shortage happened and nothing happened.

Lol, nice troll answer.

Real answer: No, there's no penatly for launching nukes whilst having not enough uranium to support them.
Why?, you may ask. Nukes don't have a combat strength that could be halved, they use a different script for their attack instead which is not affected by resource penalties.

They are also impossible to intercept, the evasion chance is maybe a leftover from a development stage where this was planned.

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I’d like to see a significant expansion to the nuclear “option”, reflecting the way that the weapons technology has snowballed over the last 70 years.

1. Nuclear missiles would become available once “Nuclear Fission” is researched, instead of requiring “Advanced Ballistics”. However, they would be weaker (initially) than they are currently. They’d only require 1 uranium and their range and destructive capability would be the same as (or even less than, maybe) the atomic bomber.

2. Upon researching “Advanced Ballistics”, atomic bombers should become upgradable with a “Strategic Air Command” promotion, purchasable with gold. This promotion will allow half (rounding up) of the promoted bombers in any city to be considered to be “in the air” at all times. Hence, some bombers will survive a nuclear strike.

3. Also available at “Advanced Ballistics” would be a promotion, purchasable with a second uranium and gold, to bring the nuclear missiles up to ICBM standard. This would raise their damage capability to the current level and double their range, making them much more scary.

4. Upon researching “Nuclear Fusion”, ICBMs would become upgradable with another range and damage promotion, purchased via gold. This would reflect lighter payloads and higher yields.

5. The “Satellites” technology would include “Mutually Assured Destruction”. Once researched, any first strike nuclear launch against the civilization would allow a full retaliatory launch against the aggressor, followed by any further launches from the attacker. All damage from the exchange would be resolved simultaneously, once the launches had been committed. This retaliation capability would be limited to nuclear missiles, ICBMs and SAC promoted atomic bombers only but would not be limited to weapons from the attacked city.

6. The use of nuclear weapons, even in retaliation, would risk huge diplomatic and trade penalties. A special session of the World Congress would be convened with a vote to embargo trade with both combatants. The default position of all AI Civilizations would be to support such sanctions against the aggressor but this would naturally be modified by social policies, ideologies, friendships, etc. The default position of all AI Civilizations would be neutral towards such sanctions against the defender but this would again be modified by social policies, ideologies, friendships, etc. It would also be loaded towards sanctions if the retaliation had been disproportionate.​

Well, that post ended up a lot longer than I’d expected. But I reckon something along these lines would allow the nuclear capability to escalate alarmingly through the end game and introduce a real sense of brinkmanship, with the possibility that the two combatants could bomb each other into irrelevance.

Feel free to rip it to shreds, ;)

There should be a real diplomatic penalty to pay for nuking someone. WITH EVERYONE (except perhaps absolute warmongers like Shaka who HATE the civ you nuked).

There should also be some fear of Mutually assured destruction that puts civs off using nukes. They shouldn't automatically use them for any war they are in.

And they should be more damaging yes to help simulate this.

And finally, there should be global warming and it should be increased by using nukes widely.

Top Bottom