New City States

It's not hard to come up with another Ottoman city without removing a city-state. That's way too much effort for very little gain.

Seems like we've established that it's just editing a bit of text, but it does as likely as anything that they just added more city-states and plugged them in, rather than the one-for-one swap-out.

Wow, that's a lot of new speculation that went on while I was asleep! :lol:

Ragusa's being replaced signals Venice more than Italy. I don't any reason they'd throw Ragusa into Italy's city list.

The idea was that they might remove the Croatia Ragusa because it shares a name with the Italian Ragusa, which may well be on the Italian list. The other option is that the confusing within the devs about which Ragusa they're talking remains even if they did change the Ragusa in the game to the Croatian Ragusa.

You're right though, it could signal Venice...

Seems like we've established that it's just editing a bit of text, but it does as likely as anything that they just added more city-states and plugged them in, rather than the one-for-one swap-out.

In the file they basically just transplanted one for the other. There really is bugger all to city states apart from the name, colour, graphical setting, background music and some flavour values. They have most certainly been directly replacing like for like though, with the same colour-type combinations used as they're replacing them, and only when they're replacing them from what we've seen.

I think that La Havane would be the City states with the best meaning for maritim trade route. This town was created by this kind of trade. so it would be strange and maybe a clue if it was not repertoried as a city state.
but I have no Idea of what kind of civ...

but another option is that this city is included as city with spain civ... i don't know.

It not been a city state any any point has it? I don't get your point. They seem perfectly happy to replace old city states, if Havana was on their mind it would have been a city state most likely for the reasons you said. It not being a city state more points to them having no thought of adding at all rather than it being a chance.

I'm sorry if it's wrong thread, but can anybody tell me what are the odds for me to see Kyiv as a city-state finally?

I'm sorry if it's wrong thread, but can anybody tell me what are the odds for me to see Kyiv as a city-state finally?

No idea. So long as they're not on any civilization's lists (they aren't on Russia's) then I'd guess there's a chance. It seems as though Italy are in, as are Morocco and potentially Indonesia. This could be a few new city states to come, as well as other potential new additions for what seems like balance (like Sofia). That means that we could see:

2 mercantile
2 maritime
2 cultural
Maybe another militaristic

So yeah, there might be a chance.

The idea was that they might remove the Croatia Ragusa because it shares a name with the Italian Ragusa, which may well be on the Italian list. The other option is that the confusing within the devs about which Ragusa they're talking remains even if they did change the Ragusa in the game to the Croatian Ragusa.

You're right though, it could signal Venice...

Ragusa isn't likely to be on the Italian city list, though. It has about 75,000 people. Here are 26 cities, none of which are Ragusa:

Spoiler City List :

Roma
Florence
Milan
Venice
Naples
Geona
Turin
Palermo
Siena
Asisi
Bologna
Pisa
Padua
Ravenna
Rimini
Modena
Syracusa
Trieste
Lucca
Cremona
Lodi
Parma
Mantua
Salerno
Almafi
Bari

That's in no particular order, partially off the top of my head.

Ragusa isn't likely to be on the Italian city list, though. It has about 75,000 people. Here are 26 cities, none of which are Ragusa:

Spoiler City List :

Roma
Florence
Milan
Venice
Naples
Geona
Turin
Palermo
Siena
Asisi
Bologna
Pisa
Padua
Ravenna
Rimini
Modena
Syracusa
Trieste
Lucca
Cremona
Lodi
Parma
Mantua
Salerno
Almafi
Bari

That's in no particular order, partially off the top of my head.

They generally pick cities by historical and cultural significance, as well as regional significance, rather than just a list of cities by population. Ragusa (Dubrovnik) only sits 13th in Croatia for population as well.

The cynic in me says that if they can put a Civilopedia entry for the Italian Ragusa in vanilla on release, they could mix them up here as well. That said, Ragusa is UNESCO World Heritage listed as part of Val di Noto, it certainly isn't insignificant, even if the population is small.

Croatian Ragusa is one of the most beautifull places in the world...pure history site,city-museum...we montenegrins, and serbs, almoust destroyed in the 1991 :p

Precedence analysis is nice and all but it's dehumanizing to suggest development is going to act in a predictable way.

If they want to add new city states that don't replace anything what's to stop them? I'm sure lots of fans would love this. Would they really be concerned with conforming to a rigid system of predictability? There are specific themes in the expansion like tourism, ideologies, and trade but Assyria and the Zulus are clearly there just because they're neat.

Havana and Port-au-Prince would make nice maritime cities. I'd like to see Troy added, probably as Militaristic. Also Venice, Athens, and Tyre all were metropolises (using the literal meaning of "mother city" here) of trade empires and why they would decide to do Venice is beyond me (unique ability to steal saint's bodies??).

Precedence analysis is nice and all but it's dehumanizing to suggest development is going to act in a predictable way.

If they want to add new city states that don't replace anything what's to stop them? I'm sure lots of fans would love this. Would they really be concerned with conforming to a rigid system of predictability?
They won't be adding CSs for no reason. That would ruin balance. They may modify the ratio but most likely there will still be a set ratio, most likely 8:10 as it was in Vanilla or 6:10 as it is now.

Honestly in all creations there will be a semi-predictable methodology and line of reasoning behind it, it's ridiculous to think that the production team is going to be spontaneous and random. That's not to say they will be 100% predictable of course.

If they want to add new city states that don't replace anything what's to stop them? I'm sure lots of fans would love this. Would they really be concerned with conforming to a rigid system of predictability? There are specific themes in the expansion like tourism, ideologies, and trade but Assyria and the Zulus are clearly there just because they're neat.

Havana and Port-au-Prince would make nice maritime cities. I'd like to see Troy added, probably as Militaristic. Also Venice, Athens, and Tyre all were metropolises (using the literal meaning of "mother city" here) of trade empires and why they would decide to do Venice is beyond me (unique ability to steal saint's bodies??).

We have already seen that they have added a city state with that isn't replacing anything. It's why the analysis has moved from simply type accounting to a colour-type analysis. Sofia appears to be a new additional all together and has a new colour-type combination. I'd expect a few more too.

They actually have specific numbers for what seems like balance reasons. In vanilla they had:

Militaristic: 8
Maritime: 10
Cultural: 10

Whilst in Gods & Kings they had:

Religious: 6
Militaristic: 6
Maritime: 10
Cultural: 10
Mercantile: 10

The addition of Sofia (militaristic) suggests that they may be adding more Militaristic City States again, that is, rebalancing things a bit.

In any case, yes, them addition them willy nilly is taken into account by the analysis now.

They won't be adding CSs for no reason. That would ruin balance. They may modify the ratio but most likely there will still be a set ratio, most likely 8:10 as it was in Vanilla or 6:10 as it is now.

Honestly in all creations there will be a semi-predictable methodology and line of reasoning behind it, it's ridiculous to think that the production team is going to be spontaneous and random. That's not to say they will be 100% predictable of course.
Yes, but what about the possibility of adding CS's because they think a rebalance is necessary? Maybe they want to change the status quo with regards to how the new mechanics interact with cultural, maritime, and/or mercantile CS's.

Yes, but what about the possibility of adding CS's because they think a rebalance is necessary? Maybe they want to change the status quo with regards to how the new mechanics interact with cultural, maritime, and/or mercantile CS's.

Again, when they moved some "sideways" last time, no new civs, or any at all, took the colour-type combinations of the city states that moved sideways. Riga has taken Ragusa's colour-type combination, this is inconsistent with Ragusa moving sideways.

I believe i'm the only one hoping for Tibet to be included, with the hope that Mbanza-Kongo is a religious CS replacing Lhassa ... But saddly (for me), right now, Italy, Venice or Papal-States seem a more solid choice, as we still haven't seen any of the numerous italian CS.

I believe i'm the only one hoping for Tibet to be included, with the hope that Mbanza-Kongo is a religious CS replacing Lhassa ... But saddly (for me), right now, Italy, Venice or Papal-States seem a more solid choice, as we still haven't seen any of the numerous italian CS.

Not seeing the Italian city states means little. They make up 4 of 42 city states and we've only see about 16 city states so far. The reason to think Venice or Italy is likely is that it seems that Riga has replaced Ragusa.

As for Tibet, it isn't going to happen sadly, but that doesn't have anything to do with the game.

What's random is enforcing a set ratio if city state types. How does that affect gameplay? If one type if city state needs to be more prevalent than others on the map then the script should account for that. The pool of city states doesn't need to reflect an intended ratio.

I find a civ that includes Ragusa like Italy, Venice or Croatia more unlikely than a simple colour change if that is the only indicator.

Top Bottom