Anyone find it bizarre that there is no African Civilization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigofm

Chieftain
Ok yeah yeah I get that we have the Mali, but those are really Arabs... But it's kinda weird they forgot black people (Africans) in this game... I mean... Geeze, Africans represent a pretty large portion of the world. I mean they can include like Arabs and Persians and Americans (not even a Civ), but they forget Africans... A little Eurocentric if you ask me. I don't know, that's just really bizarre they left Africans out

Mali and Egypt?

They may have other ethnic influences, but there are plenty of 'black' people in both countries.

It would have been great to have Ghana and Benin, but those are fine choices.

Mali are Arabs? Huh? Well, they are Muslim, yes, but they're not Arabs. Mali are descended from the Mande people, and they are all real black Africans.

Mali aren't 'really Arabs'...

Mali isn't Arab. They're sub-saharan and have dark skin.

And how is America not a civilization? How rediculous...

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde

Dagoth Ur said:
Mali isn't Arab. They're sub-saharan and have dark skin.

And how is America not a civilization? How rediculous...

I suppose I was wrong about America not being a civilization:

# An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
# The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.

But then I suppose you could call any country a civilization... I mean what's to say Canada or Cuba is not a civilization? Maybe I'm thinking in a more classical way.

vertigofm said:
Ok yeah yeah I get that we have the Mali, but those are really Arabs... But it's kinda weird they forgot black people (Africans) in this game... I mean... Geeze, Africans represent a pretty large portion of the world. I mean they can include like Arabs and Persians and Americans (not even a Civ), but they forget Africans... A little Eurocentric if you ask me. I don't know, that's just really bizarre they left Africans out
EUROCENTRISM??????? In a game published in AMERICA!!! :eek: :eek:

*faints*

*dies*

Mali is actually in the heartland of black civilization (like Babylon/Greece for Western Civilization)

I say black because you are not talking about Africa as a continent (made clear by the Arabs remark) but Sub-Saharan Africa which was dominated by blacks in prehistoric times.

Hi,

"African" is someone or something from Africa...Egypt is in Africa, so it's "African"... the egiptians may be white...but it's still an African civilization.

An Ethiopian Civilization would be nice...

American...sorry...but isn't a civilization...at the very best is a continent... if you want to say USA, say USA...but not American...is like saying that the first president of Brazil was G. Washington...
If I was an American outside of the USA i would truly be mad about that.
It's the same thing as considering an European civilization...sorry... there are just too many diferences between the diferent countries. The same thing happens in America.

;-)

Mali as "arabs" is nonsense. The leading elite was Muslim (but most of the empire beneath them pagans), and they were very definitely black africans.

And they were certainly far more of a great African civilization than, say, the Zulus, whom they replaced.

pbfeio said:
Hi,

"African" is someone or something from Africa...Egypt is in Africa, so it's "African"... the egiptians may be white...but it's still an African civilization.

An Ethiopian Civilization would be nice...

American...sorry...but isn't a civilization...at the very best is a continent... if you want to say USA, say USA...but not American...is like saying that the first president of Brazil was G. Washington...
If I was an American outside of the USA i would truly be mad about that.
It's the same thing as considering an European civilization...sorry... there are just too many diferences between the diferent countries. The same thing happens in America.

;-)

As the countries name is The United States of American, their nationality is simply; American. Canada has Canadian, Mexico has Mexicans, Cuba Cubans,etc.

The Reason being, what exactly would you call citizens of a country named the United States of America? Just as if say (like this would happen..) France, Germany, austria, belgium, holland all became one Country called "The grand republic of Europe" Odds are their citizenry would be named "European".

That's one of the technicalities you take on when you name your country after a Continent.

The people of Ghana/Mali/Songhai were all Mande. Muslim, Berber traders reached the empire of Mali and positioned themselves in the society as a sort of aristocracy. The rulers and common people were all 'pagan' until Mansa Musa converted to Islam. The rest is history. Mali, if I may say so, is the quinticential African 'Civilization'.

As many have noted, Mali is an African civ -- and a great one at that! They have a far better claim to inclusion that the Zulu did. As for Egypt, the US STate Department considers them part of the Middle East rather than Africa. Of course there is a continent called Africa, but the term has a second geographic meaning as well.

My mod will add in the Ethiopians and the Zulus. I think that the top 3 Black African civs to include would be Mali, Ethiopia, and the Zulu, in that order. If I add another one on the continent, it would be Morocco (I added Mali, Morocco, Ethiopia, and a bunch of non-African civs to Civ III).

I wonder how hard it will be to add civs, since there is so much material (ie audio samples in native languages) that is included with each civ in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom