Worrying review: Tom Chick says AI and Diplomacy are dumb. Has "Serious Problems"

"Tom Chick is one of the best reviewers, especially for strategy games."

Well then he should learn to articulate his REASON(S) why he thinks something is dumb. I am much more interested in the reviewer's reasons than I am their "dumb or not" conclusion.

I'd hardly call two sentences a "review."

Yeah, it isn't. Big stretch from the OP.

Chick likes to do several preview news article when he is in the process of reviewing games, it's quite insightful because we get to see his thought process as he does his job.

"Tom Chick is one of the best reviewers, especially for strategy games."

Well then he should learn to articulate his REASON(S) why he thinks something is dumb. I am much more interested in the reviewer's reasons than I am their "dumb or not" conclusion.

Then perhaps you should wait for the review. He never called anything "dumb", calm down.

Here's some more of his "qualifications" from his wikipedia page he probably "contributed" himself.

"Chick attended Harvard Divinity School and received a Masters of Theological Studies[1] with a focus on the Old Testament. Deciding not to pursue the ministry, he later moved to Hollywood"

I'm sure we can trust his opinion on Civ 5 though, instead of watching live feeds and using our brains.

Is this guy related to well known wingnut Jack Chick?

Tom Chick. Probably sensitive about his name. In school when they called roll. Chick Tom? And being called My Chick by everyone with a knowing smile.

This was an April Fools joke.

Here is his short comment and further down the page are 10 things about Civ 5.

Accept that there will be issues and things we don't love? Sure.

Shout "OMG, that's it, I'm cancelling my preorder?" Nah, don't think so...

If the diplomacy is like civ4 (wich was really repetitive and exploitable) and the ai is like civ4 (really really bad) then its going to be a really good game.

This.

And... this;

If you're the kind of person who's worried that Civilization V is really going to suck you in, then you're the kind of person who needs to be worried.

He seems to enjoy the game and go figure the AI in every civ game is terrible. All of them have still been incredibly fun. It's an unfortunate truth.

Personally, I don't think the diplomacy system is underdeveloped so much as people have different expectations of it. I mean look at diplomacy in civ4.. honestly there wasn't much more we could do with a civ other than trade specific technologies (replaced by research agreements), ask it to switch religions (stystem removed), ask it to switch civics (system removed) and trade maps.

To say the system is underdeveloped because it lacks the intuitive feel of the modifiers is a matter of opinion since their removal was a conscious choice on the devs parts. However, concerned about the transparency of trade deals and current resource counts, etc. etc. that have floated around are certainly valid.

Though, a lot of this is stuff that can be fixed with a patch. Better A.I. mods and UI improvements came out for civ4, and both found themselves incorporated into the actual game eventually.

Lastly, this:
That would be a terrible idea, then we could read the quote in context.

Was just plain funny.

Accept that there will be issues and things we don't love? Sure.

Shout "OMG, that's it, I'm cancelling my preorder?" Nah, don't think so...

Did I say any of that? What I'm saying is that we need to accept that the diplomacy has issues and they will need to fix it later.

Tom Chick is the same reviewer who bashed Deus Ex.

Ever since then, I don't put much stock in anything he has to say.

It is reasonable that new combat system might screw AI badly. In CIV, the thing that AI did is sending out its mighty SoD (then get wiped out) following by non-stop raiding.

I wonder how Firaxis AI programer would deal with whole new 1upt, flanking, embarkation, and more....

Let's see how they handle thier homeworks when full game come. :crazyeye:

Seriously, are some of you actually trying to discredit him because he said something bad about Civ5?
Smarten up.

As a programmer, I have not once believed their claims, or expected a great AI after only two and a half years of development, and the complexity of Civ.

Even in 2KGreg's play through, Napoleon came from head-on, obviously going for that 1hex crossing. Not once did he try to maneuver around Greg's forces to out flank them, or try anything seeming even remotely intelligent.

It built units, and sent them in a B line right into his defenses.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it will be a fun game on the harder difficulties, but if you're expecting good AI, you're in for a huge disappointment.

More like you just read his Wikipedia entry and are now going to use that as some leverage to discredit him.

No. I clearly remembered him giving a horrible review to a game I loved. I remember thinking the review was horrible not because he didn't like the game (everyone is entitled to their opinions), but because his so called justifications were very poorly stated and it seemed he hated the game not because it wasn't good, but because it wasn't what he expected it to be.

At first I thought it might have been System Shock II but I quickly remembered it was actually Deus Ex.

All I can say is: He still says the game is incredibly fun and addicting!

Civ 4 (Even after beyond the sword), had terrible AI (I mean, Immortal is easy to beat with practice, and the bonuses the AI gets are incredible at that level), especially in warfare (Where it didn't know how to do anything really). Oh, and Civ 4's diplomacy system was dumb too. Religion made autofriends and autoenemies with no way to get around it.

Oh, and Tom Chick is a very, very experienced player of strategy games. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds Civ too "easy" to game. And his opinions often don't match up with those of the public, but that doesn't mean he's somehow not qualified to talk about games.

Why should we care what Tom Chick thinks? There's already been plenty of live feeds of the press build to judge for yourself.

And who the :):):):) is Tom Chick? ... "an American television and movie actor, and independent journalist." who contributes to a horsehockey games blog run by a horsehockey cable TV network (SyFy).

What he said. OP calm down. You'll see for yourself when you play it. "play" being the operative word here.

What difficulty level was he playing at, and is this the same guy who didn't find the display option for showing resources during the diplomacy screen? Rather important in judging the validity of his criticisms.

Apparently you think you want to cancel your preorder a day before a game comes out because you heard one negative thing. I agree with you. Cancel your preorder, then continue to hide in your basement trembling in fear that bad things could possibly ever happen to you.

Top Bottom