NESPolitik: In the War Room (In Character Thread)

The first session of the National Parliament was held a neutral location in the hills between New York and Massachusetts Bay. The July air was stifling hot, and after a month of delays, enough of the delegates had arrived to begin the meeting.

Domestic Advisor: Welcome delegates to the first National Parliament meeting. I have been appointed to convey pertinent domestic information to this august body. For my first report, all I can say is that we need to decide whether to create a unified nation, or two separate countries, and further how such a government should be structured. From a societal standpoint, the Elist and Reformist division has lessened slightly under threat from England, and a workable nation could be forged despite the differences of the groups.

Economic Advisor: I, the economic advisor, have been appointed to bring information about the state of both economies to the attention of the Parliament. Though more funding would be necessary to gain more information about the specifics of each, I was able to gain that Massachusetts Bay’s primary income is from the mines east of Newtown, and the second from Plantations around Red Bank. New York’s primary income comes from the craftsmen and artisans in the various towns around New York, and up the Hudson, second from sugar plantations in the south, and third from horse breeding north of the city. Massachusetts Bay largely depends on slave labor, while New York depends on indentured servants. In the next few years many of the indentured servants working on the plantations of southern New York will be free of their contracts, and many are unsure where the plantation owners will turn for cheap labor. The indentured servants are expected to migrate primarily to the city and towns surrounding the city.

First and foremost, we need to decide how we should create and value currency to prevent a collapse of the economy.

Military Advisor: Gentlemen we are in grave danger. Separating will only further weaken us in the face of a possible English invasion. The only advantage we have is the current weakness of the English Navy, and the ocean separating us. Together, we may be able to ensure our own protection. We should immediately draft levies, and begin an aggressive recruitment program for more military units. We also may consider reaching out to foreign countries for potential allies in war.

Foreign Advisor: As foreign advisor, I suggest we reach out to foreign nations to make international allies, and allow for increased international trade to compensate for the lost trade with England.

With the last advisor falling silent, the floor opened up for whoever wished to step up and speak first.

Colonel Collingwood is the first to speak.

"Firstly, I implore parliament to disregard any regional loyalties, for the time being. What happens after the war is of little concern now. The war effort will only survive if we unify together against the monarchist oppression. We must quickly create a strong, temporary government to oversee the war effort.

"I recommend the immediate creation of a ministry of defence. The newly appointed minister will be responsible for creating an new army to defend our lands. Drafting should be unnecessary; I believe we have enough support from the commoners to create a sizable volunteer force. The matter then goes to how exactly we want to fund this army, as well as the need for a fleet.

As another matter, gaining the support of the church may push many anti-monarchist elists to our side, both here and back in England. Considering, of course, the reformists here are willing to temporarily put aside religious differences for the war effort."

After listening to the words of Collingwood, Christopher decides to comment on the matter.

"Yes, it is true, we must remain united. But when it comes to war, we should not be too radical. Rather, I think we should try a peace agreement. If England recognizes us as a free nation, we may live peacefully, and maybe even become trade partners again. And even if they insist on not recognizing our freedom, if we keep steadfast, they will give up sooner or later.

And for such diplomatic purposes, I recommend the creation of the position of Foreign Minister. Who knows if, with the right words, we avoid a bloodbath?"

Edward Dashwood listens impassively. His trading empire is already stuck in port due to non-existent trade with the English. He never advocated a split nor does he still desire a split.

He stands, acknowledges the speaker, "Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be here before you all. As you may know, my fortune rests in my trade ships and the lucrative trade with London. Many of you here," He makes a wide sweep with his finger, "Have used my ships to trade with England. With this growing rift between us that I still cannot fully comprehend, it is hurting our incomes and not to mention goods. For goods and ships that sits for days, even months will rot and fall apart."

He drinks from a glass provided by his servant, cleared his throat, "That being said, I advocate a return to the good graces of Mother England and to see our trade grow again. Failing that, we must reach out to other countries, or see our fortunes wither up and die, and with our fortune goes our freedom and independence."

Nathaniel Durant thumped his cane against the ground in support and acknowledgment of Edward Jones' latter comments on opening trade with other nations. Representative Durant wiped the sweat from his brow and rose, following the conclusion of Representative Jones' speech.

"Thank you, Mister Speaker. Gentlemen, our colleagues have all made strong and reasonable arguments, but the fact of the matter is that we will soon have the full wrath of the English Army knocking on our doors. It is unthinkable that they would let us, their most prized colony, slip from their grasps."

Adjusting his glasses, Representative Durant surveyed the room. There was little intermingling between the representatives from New York and Massachusetts Bay, each preferring to stay on one side of the hall.

"Now is not a time for empty talk. This is a time for action. Time is not on our side, gentlemen. Every hour that we spend delaying is an hour for the English to muster their armies and build their ships. Every hour that we spend speaking of new posts and ministries for us to occupy is another hour for the English to board their ships and sail across the sea. Make no mistake about it, gentlemen, war is inevitable, and it coming."

Pausing to take a sip from his glass, Durant continued.

"Colonel Collingwood is correct, in that we should not have issues in mustering forces. Were I not needed in this most august assembly, I would surely be preparing for the battles to come. Regardless, we are heavily outgunned and outnumbered. Without foreign support, our future looks bleak. Representative Banks understands the power of diplomacy, yet the creation of the post of Foreign Minister is in my opinion premature. Instead, envoys should be sent out to the neighbours of the English, and to anyone willing to support our cause. We will accept any and all support they can give us, but it is an absolute necessity that we acquire the services of military officers to train our militia. As well, it is imperative that we negotiate the acquisition of military supplies. Muskets, cannons, swords, and sabres. Without them, the English will slaughter us no matter how many of us there are."

On that grim note, Nathaniel Durant took his seat.

Representative Harper stands up.

"Gentlemen, while it may be possible for us to win this war for our freedoms alone and unaided, it will be a long, difficult, and bloody task. I do not believe we should risk this. It is imperative that we approach foreign nations with requests of support, and ensure that England has her own problems at home. Perhaps, if we approach and obtain support, no matter what that may be, from the Dutch and the Khmer, and maybe other nations too, we can ensure that the English king and his lackeys are distracted in their home.

"In addition, the fact remains that no matter what may have happened, the backbone of America's trade connected our fine shores with England's, and England's alone. It should need not even bear mention that with the outbreak of war, the lifeline of our economic prosperity is deeply threatened. If our economy is to prosper, it is imperative that we compensate by opening up other trade opportunities.

"To further progress towards these noble and necessary goals, I support the suggested appointment of a dedicated Foreign Minister. If we are to achieve great things in the future, first we need to show decisively to the nations of the Old World that we are one amongst them, an equal. How better to do this?"

Nathaniel Chapman humbles up to speak.

"All of our fellow representatives orate strong opinions. Their personal preferences can not mottle our congressional meeting. We, as an independent nation, must rely only on our own power to insure independence. There can not be aid from a foreign power. If so, we will be shamed upon as cowards, weaklings. We can not be looked upon contemptibly and scornfully. As an independent state, we must prove our worth, canvass the people to support our cause, dispel our occupants, and protect our homeland!"

With that short oration, Nathaniel took rest in his chair to silence from his fellow congressional members.

"Gentlemen, do not forget the people. The economy is collapsing, the money has become useless. This situation is so desperate that I'm selling food in exchange for personal items and other barters, otherwise the people will starve. And this will affect your plantations too. We need to coin a new currency, and put the economy back on track. How will we negotiate with other nations if they will not even be able to pay us? Or do you want an economy based on barter?

Without a stable economy, how we will pay the soldiers to defend our country? Certainly soldiers are not paid with barter or promises. The same goes for weapons and military officers."

Sir Andrew Connington Price rises to speak, and clears his throat.

Clearly, the most crucial thing that we must do at this present junction is establish a foundation for a new, American currency before we descend back into bartering and savagery. I propose the institution of the American Pound, pegged to the value of a single pound of diamonds (so we do not have to rely on foreign import to support our reserves of currency). The American Pound shall be the sole legal tender in the country. In the event of an emergency, we can print more money and devalue the pound if necessary.

A military force can wait until we have the ability to pay them with actual funds rather than in kind. In the meantime, we have enough time to draft an army before the English arrive and pay them retroactively for their service, while requisitioning supplies in exchange for bonds in this state of national emergency. Our enemies lack a fleet, and we are secure at home for a time, time enough to raise a draft force for immediate defense before we can pay a professional standing army.

Separatism is a dangerous beast at this time. Remember, united we stand against our enemies across the Atlantic.

I think perhaps we should organize ourselves gentlemen. Let's decide on a topic of discussion, talk it out, and then vote on it. Seems the only sensible way to get anything done.

"Very well. Perhaps we should start by voting for a unified America to declare war on England.

"Representative Durant is correct; the king will never let us go peacefully. The colonies are simply to valuable to loose. Any attempt to negotiate peace will only give the English more time to prepare for invasion. Let's not give them the chance.

"Therefore, I will vote Aye to war, and to the colonies fighting together. I recommend everyone does likewise."

Timothy Carroll, silent up to that point and sweating profusely, votes Aye on the measure to go to war for the colonies' independence.

Representative Banks vote aye for the union of the colonies, but vote no to war till at least some contact is made with the English government.

Representative Harkness votes aye. To war!

But we must not be overly cavalier, and as I urged earlier, we must court other nations of the Old World for legitimacy and support. Representative Harkness would also like to propose that we create a permanent post of Foreign Minister as suggested earlier, and votes aye if we are voting on this.

Representative Chapman votes in favor of a unified attempt to end the occupation of the British, but disagrees with foreign aid to help our war efforts.

I think there is no other option but war. The English aren't just going to let their colonies walk off without a fight. Aye to the war.

As to the foreign aid, again I think there is no other option. We must reach out for allies in this. The creation of at least an interim Diplomatic Minister is a necessary venture. It is important we learn about out options in potential allies, as we will probably have long-term negotiations with them. Aye to that as well.

A man from the back of the room abruptly stood up and made his way to the middle. His face was beat red, partly from the heat and partly from rage. "This discussion of warring on the motherland is absolute lunacy! This council is absolute lunacy! I am here to represent those whose loyalties are not so prone to change on a whim. We cannot break from England. Not only will a war end in our inevitable defeat, but will only further sour our relations with them. What's more, we would be cutting ourselves off from the Elist church, and all of our people's most ancient monuments. In the name of the King and almighty El, let us stop this foolishness and work post-haste on a plan to make amends with the government that spawned us! NAY!" Having made is point, he returned to his seat.

"Mr. Kenelm's argument is one of docility. We cannot shrink from this grand venture of ours. Aye to the war, as if we have any other choice. Despite the few words of dissent I think we can safely say the sentiment for war is almost unanimously in favor of. We must push on to how we are to fund the war, what allies we will seek, and who will lead the country and its armies if an when the English land on our soil."

Top Bottom