CK2 succession game

Yeah no I'm totally destroying Aquitaine if you can't.

Thought it was kinda odd that an old woman I've never done anything to was the personal rival to the king of france :/

(it was a minor thing I planned to put in the update but forgot)

did you kill her kid or dad or something

Rollo the Shadow was Robrecht the Monk's son, so if Gerard is Rollo's son, Gerard is Robrecht I's great-grandson.

Seriously though, you're naming your sons after Transformers??

If it makes you feel better 4th and 5th son have normal names and Megatron and soundwave have died

Okay so about 16-17 more years have passed I think. might be closer to 20, don't rememeber.

Along the way I get two more sons and a daughter IIRC. the two sos I think are called Gerhard and Eduard, the girl I dunno (Lohrenswald for father of the year)

so through shrewd diplomacy I manage to get high crown authority in France and make the succession primogeniture
Spoiler :

I bethrothe Megatron to the eldest daughter of the king of Scotland in hope of getting that kingdom for him (yes he dies we'll get to that)
Spoiler :

the emperor wants to revoke the duchy of york so I end up giving that to a local bishop instead
Spoiler :

Also there are Jihads for Sicily and Andalusia going on but they fail

Soundwave gets removed from the line of succession but he dies a few years later anyway so
Spoiler :

at some point I take over the last independent guy in southern France/Aquitane

Now that France is high crown authority and primogeniture succession, I can create England, giving it the same laws
I even get free investiture there
Spoiler :

oh yea btw Wales is a kingdom

most of the time I've had carousing focus, but for a few years I use intrigue to get plots going

Anyway my uncle, the hexabishop of England is expected to become the new pope
Spoiler :

after a few years he does become pope, and when that happens, he loses all the duchies in England to a noble vassal
Unfourtunately as pope he doesn't really like me all that much :/

also I think I bethrothe my brother to the queen of Denmark, patrinarilly even, so there's an ally we get there

I finally decide to use my claim on Saxony. What I do is assasinate the duke of Saxony. Since his son isn't of age, Saxony ends in a regency, which means I can press my weak claim, which I do in order to get a vote in HRE elections.

But then I notice that because of that I can press my claim to the HRE throne (the faction I mentioned last update got disbanded)
Spoiler :

The following war is long and tough and involves a lot of master tacticks and strategems and and and

One thing was that many of the emperor's troops were in England to crush rebellions when I declared war (got no allies with me), so I did a bit of divide and conquer strategy
Spoiler :

you know those norse dudes in the north of Sweden? While I'm busy fighting the war they swoop down to Brügge and kidnap most of my family
also first born son dies
Spoiler :

to release any of my three sons costs 110 gold, and I'm really hurting for money for most of this time, so most of them spend years in captivity

Also as you see there's a crusade for Jerusalem, some guy in Britanny gets it.

through mastery of warfare and tacticks and stratagaems I win the war:
Spoiler :

btw papacy and Pisa have de jure shifted into own kingdoms

Now as emperor I don't have it easy. my heir is in captivity (I eventually just buy him out), the duke of Swabia is leading the election to succede me, most of my vassals don't like me, and I'm above the vasall limit

I try to think of ways to get fewer vasalls, and as it turns out, HRE has kingom viceroy laws...
Spoiler :

I am terribly sorry if this is a bad idea. What I don't know, but fear, is that if my heir doesn't become emperor, and the viceroys are still around then, that they go to the new emperor instead of him. I really don't know...
worse still, I even give France away as a viceroyality :/
Spoiler :

I hope this doesn't end in tears

anyway sure enough, soon a rebellion starts, but it ends anticlimactically
Spoiler :

not long after the Hansa shows up, and I let them do their business, even though it's probably a bad idea (king vasalls are unruly)
Spoiler :

Then there's another rebellion
Spoiler :

yea... :sad:

while the war goes on, I finally get Ultra Magnus out of captivity. Unfourtunately, the eldest daughter of Scotland has now married, so I wed him to the second oldest daughter of Scotland
Spoiler :

I hope Quintillus can somehow capitalise on this

Anyways I win the war (allies want to join now is one thing, but another is simply that I'm more powerful)
Spoiler :

I revoke a bunch of titles, and give them to other people I hope like me better, but I'm not able to capitalise too well on it
Spoiler :

HRE currently has medium crown authority. My hope is to get it high and install primogeniture like I did in France, but things aren't looing so great

Also I revoke France from the guy who rebelled and give it to one of the dukes who I am friend with because corousing
Spoiler :

He soon dies and I give France to my brother in Normandie
who hates me now
and is a lollard
yea I'm terrible :sad:

anyway NEW REBELLION
Spoiler :

I manage to defeat them, but they also got attacked by the king of Poland, and I can't make peace if Poland occupies any of their territory, and I'm not terribly keen on fighting Poland, so I think I'll just let them take the county they want (yes it's bad to lose territory but I'm more worried about keeping our line to the throne).
This still hasn't ended because I had to end the play seccion kinda abruptly

while that was going I revoked some guy's county, gave it to my heir and gave him two duchies
Spoiler :

I don't know if that's a good idea, but he is now voting for my law proposals, in addition to being a trustworthy vasall

that's how things stand for now

I am wondering if we should change our culture to german to get better relations with the vassals of the HRE

this is its own post because:

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

So, "Ultra Magnus" is the heir to England and France, but necessarily to the HRE? If Gerard is King of England, King of France and Holy Roman Emperor, all whilst being Dutch, I'd say stick with being Dutch. I assume that someone outside the family will be elected Kaiser?

If giving out England as a viceroyalty didn't work the first or the second time, why did you do it a third time?

If giving out England as a viceroyalty didn't work the first or the second time, why did you do it a third time?

1. France
2. It only didn't work the first time
3. terryfied of vasall limit

also I agree now dutch is okay

anyway:

Poland does get that one county, but I crush the rebellion, take their titles, redistribute them and
Spoiler :

Everything went okay

several of the vassals that didn't like me I transferred to my son, the duke of Saxony etc. I ended up having to kill the duke of Genoa (who only holds Milan left), but realeased another of the guys from the previous rebellion so I got positive opinion with all vasalls (necceasry to change inhereitance law)

After this the king of Scotland died and I saw I could press my daughter-in-law's claim to that throne so I did just that
Spoiler :

Now the son of Ultra Magnus is heir to the kingdom of Scotland, so that's a nice addition

Also confirming that the heir to Denmark is of our dynasty
Spoiler :

After this I do the plot to revoke the duchy of Genoa, which I plan to give to the mayor of Genoa to make a merchant republic, and then transfer her to the duke of Lombardy.
She refuses and goes to war (she gets britanny and Jerusalem as allies, IIRC), but before I can beat her:

Spoiler :

If there was anything I did that you didn't like please tell me

now I imagined all along that I could just attach the save game to cfc, but I see now that that is impossible, so I'm going to try and find a way to put it online, please be a bit patient

Okay I downloaded dropbox

SAVEFILE

let me know if it's working

and also, again, if I did anything bad during my playtime

EDIT: Also btw there's a guy in our court that has a claim to the kingdom of Croatia, which is currently in a regency, so what I would do is give him a minor title as a vasall and then push his claim

Also HRE is still absolute agnatic, unlike the kingdoms

All right, got the save. I should note that I may not be quite as quick as some of the previous posters due to having relatives in town, but should be able to play at least half the days this week.

Only real complaint is the name - going to have to see if it's possible to change that to something more time-period-sensible! I certainly didn't expect the Emperorship to be inherited... I have mixed feelings about it since that means there's not much else to shoot for now, and the EU4 conversion mechanics are less favorable than for other Empires, but it's convenient place to start from.

Edit: Okay, loaded it up, there should be some interesting things to look into. The Croatia dude might be worth looking into, but I've also found another, somewhat larger, kingdom of interest... also looking at potentially changing some Laws (Absolute Authority and Imperial Administration in particular, maybe some taxes after that). I don't think the vassals hate me too much, either. Although it helps to have the Kind trait... I'll admit that I have some concerns that even if my ambitious goals work out, they might set up potential problems down the road. And then there's decisions such as who to have educate the heir (since the current ward is a bit of a dunce), how to shake up the imperial court (it's not great when you have 20 Stewardship, your wife also has 20, and you have 33 for the realm as a whole), and where the ripe expansion opportunities are.

It looks like the war over Genoa ended with Gerard's death. I could revoke the title without a war now as the Duchess is a traitor, but she's also a content imbecile, and thus not a threat... so I'll probably wait on that until making sure things are stable.

It would be nice to have more Dutch vassals; might have to look into that. I also have a -20 malus due to too many duchies; going to have to get rid of one of those. Considering creating a Kingdom too, but can't remember if there's a kingdom limit.

Maybe you could edit the save file so that the new Kaiser is just Magnus, rather than Ultra Magnus?

Other than that, everyone seems to be doing much better in their reigns than I did! :p

but can't remember if there's a kingdom limit.
If you keep a kingdom, every dejure duke will want the title. If you hand it out as a viceroyalty, there is no limit (but if your viceroy dies when his vassalt revolt, you will inherit the revolt, which may get annoying).

EDIT: :goodjob: @Lohrenswald.
Grandpa Rollo smiles in the afterlife, seeing his grandson put the claim to HRE to good use. He knew marrying his son to that Salian wench will pay off!

So, just 120 years after play began, we're already kings and emperors. With that mind, it's probably a bit churlish to ask if we ever regained our Dutch holdings (and Flanders itself).

oh god please don't make me play as an idiot, at least give me enough stewardship to retain the whole demesne

Do viceroys give back lower titles or do they keep their other crap?

Only real complaint is the name - going to have to see if it's possible to change that to something more time-period-sensible!

:shifty:
FWIW Ultra Magnus is latin for something along the lines of "Beyond the Great" so

Also one thing I'd like to do is to christianise or somehow put a stop to the vikings in northern Sweden. Not only was Magnus and his brothers held several years in captivity, but they very frequently send raiders to Flandern

So, just 120 years after play began, we're already kings and emperors. With that mind, it's probably a bit churlish to ask if we ever regained our Dutch holdings (and Flanders itself).
I had a weak claim on the duchy of Flandern and the county of Boulogne, I think it's called (the westernmost one). After I became emperor I simply revoked them from the guy that had them
Do viceroys give back lower titles or do they keep their other crap?

Only the viceroyalities are given back, but that's the only thing that you give them in the first place

Top Bottom