Gold in the Bank

tide15

Warlord
I played a game as Germans this past weekend wide huge continents 500 turns warlord.
By the end of the game I had 786,000 gold in the bank. The most I've ever had really.
I understand everyone plays different but what do you usually average?

Around zero. In CIV V money is meant to be spent as you can't get any interest from money in the bank unlike Civ III.
Although it is handy to have some cash ready for purchasing 1-2 units in case you get backstabbed.

I play at Emperor-Deity

I tend to let it get a little over 1000 and then use it. Same Reason as MAHak above. 1000 tends to be the most 1 need for any 1 action. I can buy a factory/hydro plant or other big savings project. I can get max influence with CS's also at this level. The way I see it keeping any more than that is wasteful.

An exception might be if I'm expecting to get DOWed soon but I want to fight the war and not make them change their minds. I might save up 5000 in reserve to quick-buy a bunch of new troops upon the DOW and then kill them.

At marathon speed/prince/large-or-huge map, I generally prefer a gold reserve of 3,000. Towards late game I often have 10,000+ (or 30,000+) despite my attempts to hold it down by improving my rail net, rushing buildings, etc.

In my latest game I'm bringing in 500/turn so if I'd saved it since I started making this much early industrial I'd have about 500*100 = 50,000. How did you get so much? Did you just never use it?

For the most part I saved it. I did buy bombers and other units and tiles to better my cities.

Around zero; I use the gold to cash buy last copies of buildings needed for national wonders, science & production buildings in that order.

Around zero. In CIV V money is meant to be spent as you can't get any interest from money in the bank unlike Civ III.
Although it is handy to have some cash ready for purchasing 1-2 units in case you get backstabbed.

I play at Emperor-Deity

Cash in the bank in Civ5 actually is taken into account by the AI when they decide whether they want to DoW you or not. So even though you don't get interest on your cash, you still get a benefit as you don't have to pay unit maintenance. And of course you have the tactical advantage that you can buy the newest unit right where it's needed when the DoW comes.

Cash in the bank in Civ5 actually is taken into account by the AI when they decide whether they want to DoW you or not. So even though you don't get interest on your cash, you still get a benefit as you don't have to pay unit maintenance. And of course you have the tactical advantage that you can buy the newest unit right where it's needed when the DoW comes.

It does come in handy to have a nice pile of gold. Buying a half dozen nuke subs and missiles to go with them all at once is how can I describe it....quite satisfying :)

Top Bottom