Military Unit Tree Proposal

Cog is coming with the new tech tree. It fits between the Galley and the Galleon.

I would not do an early Submarine. If it was only done once and had very little impact, then it's probably not appropriate on the scale of a Civ game. Subs don't really have an impact on warfare until WWI, which is where the Submarine Warfare tech is.

I like having the Can Explore Rival Territory ability on the scouting ships - Caravel, Brigantine, and Sloop - but I would take that ability off the Fluyt. The Fluyt is a cargo ship and the ability to transport military units and explore rival territory is the signature of the Portuguese UU. I personally don't see why the mechanic is broken. What is wrong with it?

Would it be possible to change the American Marine UU from Navy SEAL to something different. I know the Navy SEAL replaces Marines, but my last game I had something like 40 Navy SEAL units, and I would think as a Special Forces type unit that it would be a bit more limited.

Perhaps simply call the American marine UU "U.S. Marine" or something to that effect. Just a suggestion.

Cog is coming with the new tech tree. It fits between the Galley and the Galleon.

I would not do an early Submarine. If it was only done once and had very little impact, then it's probably not appropriate on the scale of a Civ game. Subs don't really have an impact on warfare until WWI, which is where the Submarine Warfare tech is.

I like having the Can Explore Rival Territory ability on the scouting ships - Caravel, Brigantine, and Sloop - but I would take that ability off the Fluyt. The Fluyt is a cargo ship and the ability to transport military units and explore rival territory is the signature of the Portuguese UU. I personally don't see why the mechanic is broken. What is wrong with it?

The mechanic made sense before Right of Passage but with that in the game is serves no purpose than to give people I don't want free reign within my borders. If I didn't have to declare war to stop them it would be fine. But I do.

I'd have to disagree there. They are a special Unique unit for the GAME.

In reality, ALL special forces are elite troops, and limited in numbers.

But its a game, Mongolian horseman, how many do you spam, and in reality, the numbered in the tens of thousands.

Its as many as your economy can support. Its a civ based thing, if it doesn't appeal to your sense of right, limit yourself.

Just want to bump this sucker now that we are deep into unit revisions. Some of what I proposed is a bit obsolete. I want to stress my desire most of all to clean up specificly named units like the A-10, clean up the massive mess that are tanks especially post-modern, and get the combat ship lines into lines that make sense.

Is it possible for a Ship to have 2 completely separate units it can hold. Like say 3 missiles and 1 plane. Or would those interfere with each other? My civ4 mod-fu is weak.

I think it's very simple with Advanced Cargo Mod and some xml work.

Is there a way this could be written up as a list? So I can see what adjustments we would have to do to each unit and what new units are wanted? Or at the very least, have the spreadsheets not be behind a login screen?

Top Bottom