Leaders speak their own language

WeaselSlapper

Prince
This quote is from the recent IGN article about Civ V:

"The diplomacy screen is now a full 3D environment complete with animated leaders speaking in their own language."

Am I the only who who thinks it's going to be really annoying hearing leaders speak in languages I don't understand? I really hope they have an option to have all the leaders speak their own language.

I'm not sure they will. All the leaders probably have some special lines(like the infamous Caesar salad), and they can't translate all of them into English, Spanish, French or whatever.The only alternative is probably to turn off they speech and only read the subtitles.

I assume that there will be subtitles. So far, there hasn't been any Civ where the leader speaks any language, you just have to read it. Nothing has really changed from a functional standpoint.

Well it will be interesting to see how they end up speaking some of the more ancient languages we can only speculate on.

sounds like someone is a little intolerant

It's got nothing to do with intolerance, it's a gameplay and annoyance thing. If they are going to give the leaders voices I would much rather be able to understand what they say rather then have to read subtitles.

Leaders speaking their own language is a waste of time to me. I wish they would spend their resources on hiring more artists, developers or programmers.

OH NO! someone has to read subtitles! Now that his highness, WeaselSlapper opposes subtitles, 2k will now take out subtitles.

Leaders speaking different languages is a fun little side-gameplay enhancer. It is a game attempting to reconstruct a multi-national world and with it, the different cultures and languages, etc. sucks for you if you can not read...after all, it is a skill.

I am sure they'll have a mute button for the overly sensitive.

I take as an opportunity to hear many new languages. I think it's great.

To each their own I guess.

I, for one, was very pleasantly surprised when I read about the leaders speaking their own language. I think it's great and definitely adds to the game. I always think it's stupid that in movies and TV series some non-English speaking characters speak English between themselves with some silly accent. :rolleyes:

OH NO! someone has to read subtitles! Now that his highness, WeaselSlapper opposes subtitles, 2k will now take out subtitles.

Seriously, what are you like 12.

This has nothing to do with me not wanting to read, it's about the Devs adding elements that don't enhance gameplay. I didn't say I wanted them I take it out I said I wanted them to put in an option to make the leaders only speak one language for those of us who would find it annoying to have leaders speaking multiple languages.

I can see how this could potentially start to get annoying if you play two or three games of civ every week...but personally I think it's going to be great.

Seriously, what are you like 12.

This has nothing to do with me not wanting to read, it's about the Devs adding elements that don't enhance gameplay. I didn't say I wanted them I take it out I said I wanted them to put in an option to make the leaders only speak one language for those of us who would find it annoying to have leaders speaking multiple languages.

A serious question. Do you own a passport and have you ever left your home country?

A serious question. Do you own a passport and have you ever left your home country?

I do own and passport and have traveled to many countries on several different continents. Accomplishing things in countries where you don't speak the native language is a lot more difficult then when you speak the same language and that's exactly why I don't want that in my games. Civ is a complex enough game already without having to know every language that ever existed.

On top of that what are they going to do with countries that spoke on language in ancient times that eventually transformed into another like Greece? Will they have the Greek leaders speak Greek or Latin? If they were to every put Brazil in the game will they speak a native language or will they speak Portuguese?

It's got nothing to do with intolerance, it's a gameplay and annoyance thing. If they are going to give the leaders voices I would much rather be able to understand what they say rather then have to read subtitles.

Civ is played all over the world and lots of languages are not gonna have their own versions. Most of non-native English speakers are much more comfortable with reading English than hearing English.

I am sure they'll have a mute button for the overly sensitive.

I take as an opportunity to hear many new languages. I think it's great.
+1

I do own and passport and have traveled to many countries on several different continents. Accomplishing things in countries where you don't speak the native language is a lot more difficult then when you speak the same language and that's exactly why I don't want that in my games. Civ is a complex enough game already without having to know every language that ever existed.

I'd imagine accomplishing things in foreign countries would be easy if they had giant English subtitles floating in front of them. :mischief:

On top of that what are they going to do with countries that spoke on language in ancient times that eventually transformed into another like Greece? Will they have the Greek leaders speak Greek or Latin? If they were to every put Brazil in the game will they speak a native language or will they speak Portuguese?

Glad to hear it. I'm quite well traveled myself and I love learning new languages, learning about new cultures and experiencing new things. I'm quite well read and I guess I am happy to see that extend to my favorite computer game.

This won't make the game more complex as there will be subtitles. An addition of a little atmosphere will only enrich the game experience. I guess we can agree to disagree but I see the whole thing as a big plus.

Civ is played all over the world and lots of languages are not gonna have their own versions. Most of non-native English speakers are much more comfortable with reading English than hearing English.

Not once did I ever say that if they made it so all the leaders spoke the same language it had to be only English. They already have different versions of Civ IV for multiple languages and I would imagine Civ V would be no different. I also never said that they shouldn't have subtitles, I just want the option to have the leaders speak one language instead of their native tongue.

Not once did I ever say that if they made it so all the leaders spoke the same language it had to be only English. They already have different versions of Civ IV for multiple languages and I would imagine Civ V would be no different. I also never said that they shouldn't have subtitles, I just want the option to have the leaders speak one language instead of their native tongue.

Yes, well, that would require a lot of extra voice recording...with text you can translate it with the push of a button, but not so with audio...so having them all speak their own languages only requires on voice actor for each...and only one set of recordings.

Top Bottom