Fall of Rome help

dashwinner

Prince
Not sure what I did wrong. I managed to capture Rome before the timer ran out. I had the top score out of all the civs, and yet I still lost to Theodora with a time victory.

Any tips? I've tried most of the civs in this scenario, and it seems like the franks are the only ones that I manage to do well with...

Attachments

• 2013-09-13_00001.jpg
    2013-09-13_00001.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 604
From the strategic map, you were really close. The mistake was not taking Carthage early. (The next city in Africa. It also has 2 luxuries.

From the strategic map, you were really close. The mistake was not taking Carthage early. (The next city in Africa. It also has 2 luxuries.

that makes sense. I should have kept pushing east on the African coast then shipped my troops up to Rome. I sent too many troops up through Spain, as the celts and the franks proved to be more of a hassle than the Romans.

I played and won this scenario last night for the first time. I also went the vandals. My final score was 10,000. The roman empire's combined score was around 8800. The other barbarians tribes that I met were around 2000-4500. I never met the sassanids or Huns.

My strategy was to send a land army across Africa to conquer all of the cities there. I also sent an army into Spain although there were three cities I didn't conquer there. I had an absolutely massive navy which helped a lot. I took Sicily and all of Italy with my African army and navy. I also had enough time to capture a couple of Theodora's cities with my navy.

I annexed most of the cities to begin with to make units but when my economy and happiness started to crash I razed most and kept only the vital ones. I only filled out the left side of the policy tree.

I found that sometimes I'd capture a city and Rome would take it back immediately. I would then capture it again. This helped my score out a lot.

that makes sense. I should have kept pushing east on the African coast then shipped my troops up to Rome. I sent too many troops up through Spain, as the celts and the franks proved to be more of a hassle than the Romans.

From a happiness perspective, Italy is devoid of Luxaries. And Spain also has some unique luxaries in addition to Carthage.

So I'm thinking:
1. Push to Carthage.
2. Next take basically Spain, but just secure that zone.
3. Sea route to Rome. (Sicily, then Southern Italy, march to Rome)

But also when your Italian campaign has enough troops, you also need to take some E Rome cities, essayist would be more of Africa.

Any tips? I've tried most of the civs in this scenario, and it seems like the franks are the only ones that I manage to do well with...

I would say the Celts or the Goths are probably the strongest of the barb civs. Even on Deity, it's pretty easy to win with either. It's not so much about taking all the cities, as it is about rolling Rome and Constantinople as quickly as possible. To this end, it's not really worthwhile to keep most of the cities. When in doubt, raze it. You'll pay for it with a lack of policy upgrades, but the policies are primarily about ways to keep your cities happy. You don't need this if you raze them, and you still get the lion's share of the points for the capture, as well as forcing the Romes into negative policies, so they're at huge penalties by the time you have to deal with any real troops.

I feel this scenario is sort of a brother to the Mongol one, at least strategically.

Celts

The beauty of the Celts is the movement options imparted with their embarking rules, and the pictish warrors. Due to how embarkation works, if you start the turn in water, you end up with 5 movement. So, since the celts can disembark for only 1 move, it means if you start with your army in the pond, you can basically jump out and perfectly surround a city with all your warriors and catapults without wasted turns and soaking up damage to do it. Catapults can disembark, setup, and even fire if they're close to the edge. The second important task is to remember to pillage. Pillaging heals, and your pictish warriors can do it for free. So, if it's a city you're going to raze, then make sure to pillage during the 2nd turn of combat with all your pictish warriors. It's a free heal.

If you head straight down the west coast of Gaul(France), sacking the cities on the way, you should be able to cut across on the road on the edge of the Iberian Peninsula and get to Rome by turn 16-18. From here it depends somewhat on what he has lying around. If he's got a bunch of troops in the area, you really need to come in from the north, so sack Ravena first.

Once you're done, just head east till you run into Constantinople, taking or razing any cities you come across.

Goths

The Goths don't have the same advantages as the Celts, but they have the best start. You are 3 cities away from either capitol, and your troops are OK. The cities between you are actually pretty decent, with good luxuries and resources, so you may not want to raze your way to the capitols like I do with the Celts. Use your workers to chop forest down to speed up your unit production. You should be able to have two separate armies that you can fork off sack Western and Eastern Rome simultaneously. There's a Goth city on the black sea, so you can build triremes to help with Constantinople (which is hard to surround). Depending on the difficulty, you should have both capitols by turn 25 to 30. At that point it's mostly just the Sassinids that might be able to win.

I'm surprised you've had the best luck with the Franks. I feel they have the weakest of the barbarian starts. They're stuck up in the ends of the earth like the Celts, but they don't have the huge movement advantages the Celts do, and their units aren't astoundingly exceptional to make up for it.

Things are just sorta stacked against Rome in this scenario, even for the AI on Deity. I wish it was a little more balanced, actually.

Has anyone ever won as Western Rome on Deity without cheating? I'm not exactly sure how you'd do it. A lot of luck I guess.

I tried twice on diety... The first with west rome and it was a disaster... A lot of negative gold and enemies
Then i tried with huns and i won too easy... You start with a good army that can take the first sasanid's city than u have the batteram that are great... Take their capital than go aginst bizantine and u will have a lot of points

i tried deity west rome
took back all my cities and even razed a couple of frankish cities and wiped out vandals
but lost to sassanids who conquered a big part of the eastern rome

deity east rome is fairly easy because of dromons

West Rome is hard also because East Rome is stupid as hell. East Rome builds culture buildings and not units..very smart in this scenario

West Rome is hard also because East Rome is stupid as hell. East Rome builds culture buildings and not units..very smart in this scenario

I nearly won as East Rome on Diety once - Sassanids are very hard to take on but I even managed to take 1 of their cities. Out of both romes I do think East are easier to play. The dromon and Cataphract give you some nice mobility and with the Great Generals & Fort bonus from Theodosian Walls the Cataphracts and sworsdmen are about as strong as a legion. And did I mention the Dromon? It's basically a composite bowman on the water that gets a range 2 attack and +33% damage promotions against land units. So a few of these will prop up West Rome and they can also protect you getting ganked by the goths or huns around the Black Sea. Plus you can keep a dromon in a coastal city so each city can have 3 ranged attacks per turn. On an attrition heavy game like this it really makes a difference.

But yeah the Rome AIs sucks for this. Every city starts by trying to build infrastructure rather than military units so their line will have already well and truly collapsed by the time they get around to building units.
West Rome does a bit better because the barbarian conversion is automatic but East Rome doesn't even try to use its UA. ALthough I've seen West Rome build nothing but ballista's which negates it's UA completely :rolleyes:

ALthough I've seen West Rome build nothing but ballista's which negates it's UA completely :rolleyes:

That part is actually good gameplay as long as they are in safe tiles or there is a screen in front.

That part is actually good gameplay as long as they are in safe tiles or there is a screen in front.

Well that's the issue - they won't build any legions so their ballista's are basically face to face with the gothic units. When they kill a barbarian unit it also means they can't convert that unit to their side.
I guess what I was trying to say was is that the AI is so inept it doesn't know how to use it's UA. Anytime it does is purely by accident.

Top Bottom