Ides of March monthly Challenge

I don’t think this scenario was intended to be a representation of the sum total historical knowledge of Rome.

Also the most fun i have in this scenario is renaming all the cities to the Roman name (or the closest available)

Yeah, I've seen Mediolanum placed in a whole different place than where I've seen it place before.

GJSVvc2WAAA92q8.jpeg

Some nice stats for this challenge :D.

But what's the fastest turn times
I did it in ~60 turns.
On Steam there were claims of 50 turns. (Entirely plausible as my T60 win was pretty comfortable - with no save scumming).

I don't think Carlbarian anticipated people beating it so quickly. So they post other stats.

I took a quick look at Steam stats and Civ VI player numbers have been steadily increasing. So whatever 2K+Firaxis are doing, it's working.

But what's the fastest turn times
For the Head of Cyrus challenge

After a bunch of attempts and really great RNG from goody huts the fastest time I got was a turn 22 win according to the hall of fame.

After lurking here for a long time decided to join because I figured there might be a few people here who would be interested in seeing it.

After a bunch of attempts and really great RNG from goody huts the fastest time I got was a turn 22 win according to the hall of fame.

Incredible! 👏

(I think it puts to shame those who waited for GDRs to take out Cyrus 😆)

But back to the Ides of March challenge, any guesses how/why Secret Societies mode is enabled? Or can be strategic?
The only thing I can think of is Rome is largely waging a war against loyalty, more than the teamed up bots, so perhaps Voidsingers?

Turn 22? I guess I'd have to watch the video. It took me nearly 50 turns to ever march my troops over to his capital. I can't see how it's possible.

As for the secret societies, no idea why they went for that. Maybe to spice things up. My first game I went for vampires, Roman vampires sounds kind of corny. Honestly I very rarely do secret societies, because I almost always go for the same one. The one that gives an economic policy slot seems far and away the best one.

But back to the Ides of March challenge, any guesses how/why Secret Societies mode is enabled? Or can be strategic?
The only thing I can think of is Rome is largely waging a war against loyalty, more than the teamed up bots, so perhaps Voidsingers?
you can find the secret societies the normal way, so vampires by clearing a camp and owls by sending an envoy to one of the three (i think) CSes.

Honestly I very rarely do secret societies, because I almost always go for the same one. The one that gives an economic policy slot seems far and away the best one.

I think you are right.

That one, the Owls of Minerva and Sanguine Pact, seem to be the most useful in the the challenge.
The other two, Voidsingers and Hermatic Order grant infrastructure. Where in this challenge, there isn't a great deal of time to build.

I've started a play through of the Med map to learn about the societies, cos I, like you, have little experience with it (beyond Sanguine Pact).
Playing with Apocalypse mode and Zombies, it seems Voidsingers is great (as I've gone God of War, which I almost always choose with Zombies). But that's not anything like the challenge.

you can find the secret societies the normal way, so vampires by clearing a camp and owls by sending an envoy to one of the three (i think) CSes.
Actually, if you explore to the far east and southeast portions of the map you will find that there are six city states: Akkad, Jerusalem, Samarkand, Yerevan, Kabul and Anshan. I was suzerain of all 6. But I was slow. Took me 161 turns to win.

Last edited:
Akkad being the most useful one. It's hard to get down there in a timely manner. I find that after being at war for a while, what usually happens is they are dragged into the war with you when the AI suzerains one of them. I save all my envoys and dump it into Akkad soon as that happens.

Bit rusty when it comes to civ 6 (got burnt out a year ago and been playing other games) but I played this on prince difficulty and got a T106 religious win.

The key early on is to get magnus, chop and harvest to keep your cities and reyna to buy districts. Obviously use the money from the barbs to get builders and districts through reyna.

I got my religion then stonehenge then got apostoles, picked work ethic, monstaries holy order and tithe and spread my religion to every city, while trying to forward settle egypt and china. Not the fastest run but im happy to try again on emperor.

Last edited:
It took me awhile. I used GDRs so you can say I skipped many turns on Head of Cyrus. The Rome one I started but I didn't finish it since I was busy but they were both entertaining.

How do I save the ides of March scenario and play it when the event is over?

Do you mod?
It's prolly too much effort otherwise.

I have done it for Robot Revolution turning it into a scenario (plus map) which you will find in Downloads and on Steam workshop.

TBH I'm not sure I will bother with this one.
B'cos mostly I do not know much of Sec. Societies.

I am currently playing my first game with Voidsingers.
Just FYI Re: challenge, the cultists unlock only in the industrial era, which is far too late. As we all know in any 4X it's more beneficial to have something that gives immediate boosts.

Actually, if you explore to the far east and southeast portions of the map you will find that there are six city states: Akkad, Jerusalem, Samarkand, Yerevan, Kabul and Anshan. I was suzerain of all 6. But I was slow. Took me 161 turns to win.

Got a T142(?) domination.
20240404161817_1.jpg20240404161906_1.jpg

TBH this could be streamlined considerably.
It's basically a long haul slug fest.

My general strategy:
1. Build one army to take out Gaul and Western Europe; build a second to keep Macedon, Greece and Byzantium at bay.
2. First army crosses into North Africa and east towards Egypt; Second through Constantinople and meets up first army in Levant.
3. For medieval(?) Golden Age dedication choose the one that grants boost to embarked unit movements, then once you have secured the Med. embark your armies towards China.

Oh, and let history be a guide.

Top Bottom