Ides of March monthly Challenge

tedhebert

Emperor

Today we're excited to share that the next monthly Civilization VI challenge, Ides of March, is now live for the Steam version of the game on PC. This challenge can be attempted at either Prince or Emperor difficulty.

For a limited time, challenges like this one afford you an opportunity to test your skills as a specific leader in a unique scenario. The first time you successfully complete each challenge, you'll earn yourself a new in-game Hall of Fame Badge.

To play the current challenge between March 12 and April 9, go to the main menu in-game and click on "Ides of March - Challenge of the Month." Note that if you don't own any of the DLC featured in the challenge, you will be granted free trial access to it for use in the challenge so you don't miss out.

We'll update this page with details on upcoming challenges as they become available.

CURRENT CHALLENGE​

CHALLENGE 5: IDES OF MARCH

The Fall of Rome is imminent! As Caesar, do you have what it takes to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat? You've already conquered much of the world, but every civilization that remains now unites against you, and your armies are stretched too thin to defend your empire on every front.

There are difficult choices to be made between now and April 9 when this event ends. Other civilizations' attacks demand your attention, but you also can't afford to ignore the threats posed by barbarians, famine, and natural disasters.

Game Parameters

Mode:
Secret Societies
Difficulty: Prince / Emperor
Victory: Any Except Score
Speed: Epic
Player Leader: Caesar
Map Type: Custom
Map Size: Standard
RuleSet: Gathering Storm
Start Era: Classical
Resources: Standard
World Age: Standard
Start Position: Standard
Temperature: Standard
Rainfall: Standard
Sea Level: Standard

Does anyone know whether these challenges be played when you run Civ6 in Offline Mode? Does the carousel window on the main menu even appear in Offline Mode?

So the map is the Large Mediterranean map.

The same one that last shipped with one of the DLCs/Season Passes.

I didn't recognise it. So there isn't a need to extract the map into a mod. I'm not sure if I will turn this into a scenario/mod. Let's see.

Does anyone know whether these challenges be played when you run Civ6 in Offline Mode? Does the carousel window on the main menu even appear in Offline Mode?

Yes I routinely play civ6 in offline mode. I just tested it, it's there.

Deity or get lost. Haven't tried a single challenge yet because they are not a challenge for me at this difficultly setting. It's a shame really, but I can't be arsed to play them atm.

Deity or get lost. Haven't tried a single challenge yet because they are not a challenge for me at this difficultly setting. It's a shame really, but I can't be arsed to play them atm.

Well, I did turn Robot Revolution into a mod, so you can play it Deity if you wish 😏

TBH you are mostly fighting loyalty in Ides of March.
What's the point of playing a historical map/scenario when I doubt very much the Roman empire fell due to loyalty pressure 😆
This is an artificial mechanic that actually benefits large empires.

As with any Civ game, the key is to rushing your neighbours. Capture settlers.

And let history be a guide:

Europe and the Iberian peninsula are much easier to secure.

I partially agree because they should at least put emperor for the lower skill or immortal. A much greater challenge.

Only a tiny fraction of their audience are capable of playing at Deity, those that can are way overrepresented on here I'm sure :cool:
I understand that and have no problem with it. I just think it's a shame, because I can't see how it would take much extra effort to release a deity version. It would certainly be an appreciated gesture for long time players.

Only a tiny fraction of their audience are capable of playing at Deity, those that can are way overrepresented on here I'm sure :cool:
I dislike how Firaxis are increasingly dumbing down newer releases.

Marvel's Midnight Suns is way too easy. (Perhaps they thought they would attract a younger demographic...but I think they miscalculated there...by a longshot!) 😆

Perhaps it'll be up to modders to come up with higher difficulties than Deity in future Firaxis games?

Perhaps it'll be up to modders to come up with higher difficulties than Deity in future Firaxis games?
There is a mod for that already, where you can additionally play on deity+ and deity++. It's a nice addition if deity becomes too easy, but ultimately it suffers from the same issue that deity does - as long as you can survive and set up the early game, you will eventually steamroll the AI in the middle to late game just like on regular deity.

Finally get a chance for this one. The only interesting thing is teams are enabled, I haven't actually played a game with that enabled. Kind of funny seeing Romans conquer China. And getting Boudica Great General. Nothing too special on this one. With Caesar's bonus it's a cakewalk. With Akkad in the game, it shouldn't be a struggle.

With Akkad in the game, it shouldn't be a struggle.

TBH Akkad is a little too far away to be of much use at the start.

But how is this historical? Surely, it was the Mongols, not China in that part of far east Europe? 😆

(I'm pretty sure in Into The Renaissance in Civ V, it's the Mongols famously in that area).

Played again trying to play peaceful, turns out with teams turned on it's pretty easy for them to get a religious victory. So keep that in mind. Makes the peaceful game a little more difficult.

Top Bottom