Mod installation Help

Radders

Chieftain
so I downloaded the Mod Installer

and showed it my civ 4 directory

but when I try and load a mod it it says

"Are you sure you want to update Civilization IV?

Click OK to update /Users/Radders/Documents/Civilization IV using:

Ethnically Diverse Units"

I click ok then get

"Application files updated successfully
No files were installed as no matching locations were found for your files."

i'm not sure whey it says "/Users/Radders/Documents/Civilization IV" because Civ is in my applications folder. If I try to rescan system it says it can find the installation and to drop it in. So i drop in the Civ folder and the same thing happens when I try and install a Mod

kind of wish I'd got this for my bootcamp partition now....

I have not fully updated my mod installer to work correctly with Civ4. I did a quick hack on it to get it to install BlueMarble, but other than that, it's not really very useful. Here are some facts of life:

1. My Mod Installer was originally developed to help with the installation of Civ3 vanilla mods for Mac users - it never actually made it out of beta, even in that role. Civ3 anvilla mods were a pig to install manually, as you had to replace lots of the original installation with files from the mods, in lots of different locations. Civ3 Complete is much better at it.

2. Mod installation in Civ4/Warlords is a doddle. You unzip the downloaded file to create a mod directory, drop that into your Mods folder, and you're done.

3. Although Civ4 mods are easy to install, very few of them work on a Mac for several reasons that are discussed hereabouts. So there has been very little incentive to develop the Mod Installer.

Please feel free to try to convince me that it would be effective use of my time and effort to do work on the installer in the face of the above issues :p

PS. There's a Mods folder in your ~/Documents/Civilization IV/ folder. That's where user-installed mods are *supposed* to go to avoid messing with your installed software. However, some mods don't like going in there. There's also a CustomAssets folder, which is where graphic mods like BlueMarble go, and that's in the ~/Documents/ path as well.

Top Bottom