Dales REF reduction mod

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
I'm going to make a mod today that will help the player have more control over the size of the REF that they will face during the WoI.

It will change the following:

At present, except for tax hikes any request from the King can be rejected with zero negative effect. The correct answer for these is to say "No" each and every time. Because by saying "Yes" you lose out (monetarily).

This mod will change that so that if you say "No" there is no change (no negative effect to rejecting the King). But if you say "Yes" and pay the request, then the REF will be reduced accordingly (no lower than the beginning amount of REF). Think of it as the King getting more at ease with you since you gave into his ridiculous request. "You can kiss my pinky for 150 gold". :)

Therefore:
- The player can influence the size of the REF (outside of the bells mechanic) by paying the King's requests.
- Both options "Yes" and "No" are now equaly viable (instead of always saying "No" being the right answer).

This fixes the requests, and helps to alleviate the REF size issue.

I'll post the DLL when it's ready.

How do you compile the DLL? I have some changes I'd like to test, but I can't get it to work.

What a practical mod!

My first game of CivCol, I have been giving into all of the King's monetary requests because I have adopted a "friend of the monarchy" approach. I had no idea that there was no negative outcome for turning down his requests!

Although I wasn't expecting my continuous acceptance to do any good, I certainly thought that rejecting his requests would cause the REF to grow!

This almost feels like an exploit :sad:.

At present, except for tax hikes any request from the King can be rejected with zero negative effect. The correct answer for these is to say "No" each and every time. Because by saying "Yes" you lose out (monetarily).

Awe, is that true? I had assumed the force would get larger if you reject. In fact I always said "Yes". That's lame.

How do you compile the DLL? I have some changes I'd like to test, but I can't get it to work.

I would suggest reading the sticky on how to compile the DLL in the Civ4 C&C forum. :)

Has detailed instructions for a number of different compilers.

This is a very good idea! My first two games I kept giving into the King's demands most of the time, expecting (like most) that the REF would go up if I didn't. Once I found out that all it did was add a -1 to relation's with the king, a relationship that doesn't matter one bit, I stopped paying and had a much better time in my next game. It annoyed me though that it kept popping up with no advantage and no punishment.

This seems to be the solution to the game's two main faults, in my opinion. :)

To be honest, I think the -1 diplo hit for saying "No" does affect any requests for troops you make, but aside from that I can't see anything.

To be honest, I think the -1 diplo hit for saying "No" does affect any requests for troops you make, but aside from that I can't see anything.
On the other hand, with the amount of money you save by saying no, you can buy twenty times that many troops, so...

Okay I've changed how the process will work. Instead of actively reducing the REF (ie: eliminating units) I have changed it so the threshold will grow.

So if you agree to the gold demands, the amount of time between army growths will increase based on how much gold you give the King.

This effectively means you can produce a lot more bells between REF increases.

I think this is a lot fairer for all parties. :)

It will be nice as quick fix.

The best approach, imho, to rewrite REF increases from scratch and make it dependent on your relations with King. I mean - if relations are bad - then King will increase REF from time to time. If relations are good - then increases will be much lower or no at all.

Then make Rebel Sentiments to worse relations with King (bad relations), Paying tributes - increase or made same, deny to pay - worse relations. Add possibility to offer gold to King to improve relations. Add some other relation-positive actions. War with his foes in New World - increase relations. Founding Father can increace relations. And so on.

There even possible to add the 'Peacefull victory' - if you relations with King are high for long time AND your rebel sentiments are high - King can grant you Independence without a war at all...

I think it will be more intuitive to peoples and really playable. If it will made good balanced, of course :)

Awe, is that true? I had assumed the force would get larger if you reject. In fact I always said "Yes". That's lame.

I think it worsens the king's mood, but the King's mood has no bearing on anything else right now.

Okay I've changed how the process will work. Instead of actively reducing the REF (ie: eliminating units) I have changed it so the threshold will grow.

So if you agree to the gold demands, the amount of time between army growths will increase based on how much gold you give the King.

Even better, good work once again :)

I too am looking forward to this one. I too thought that if I said no to the king I was doing something majorly wrong that would bring down the entire European world on my little colony.

This makes sense, but I'd like you to clarify one thing please. Here's my example:

I'm playing a game where I only start producing Bells at turn 200, all the while ignoring the king's demands for money. Once I start producing bells I start accepting the king's requests for money. Does the mod only take into account the most recent requests, or does it remember all the previous requests and use those as part of the calculation? :)

It remembers all previous requests. So each time you pay the King, it will increase the threshold based on how much you pay him.

Still testing. Initial outcomes looking good.

Top Bottom