We The People 4.1

Nightinggale

Deity

We have passed another milestone and released 4.1. As such we get a new thread where people can post feedback.

Spoiler Changelog :
Version 4.1

Changes:
- New MapSize "Massive" + some new Maps for it
- Reduced generation of Coral Reefs on Ocean
- "Bakery Products" have been renamed to "Provisions"
- Immigration Overhaul (too many Units on Dock waiting reduces Immigration)
- The flag on the Danish Schooner is no longer mirrored
- Buttons to import/export all yields now include more yields
- More background music added
- Changes to when some events will trigger (no spoilers with specifics here)
- Production help text (like mouseover on hammers) now has the leader contribution listed as a standalone line
- Domestic Advisor gained mouseover help text on the production page
- Event help text now informs more about production changes
- Wild Feathers are now used to produce (padded) Goat Hide Boots.
- #427 #820 Build road to location now allows the player to pick which type of road to build
- Readme is now html as that allows index with links to each section
- Savegames will no longer break if more buildings or units are added to xml
- Added more achievements
- #723 Map sizes have changed to avoid black map when zooming out (random maps only, doesn't affect existing savegames)
- Added proper error message windows. Also message windows will no longer show error icon and error sound.
- #813: Button to filter Yields in City Screen to only available ones
- Random map adjustments to terrain and land mass
- Removed source code from releases (mod starts faster). Source code is still available in a separate release zip file
- Added new game speed for builders (slower than Marathon)
- Names of colonies, generals, admirals and ships now support Cyrillic (Russian only, manually entering colony names still has issues)
- City billboards now support Cyrillic without manually replacing GameFont.tga (game restart required when switching to/from Russian)
- Random map generation is now updated to handle new terrains and terrain features in a more balanced way

New Units:
- Added failed native trader
- Seasoned trader
- Eccentric architect
- Prisoners of war (incl. Events to exchange them in Missions / Forts)
- A new unique unit for each European civilization

Graphic updates (new or improved):
- Achievements: 71
- Bonuses: 7
- Buttons: 9
- Units: 26

Colopedia:
- Major improvements

Translations:
- Improved quality of English text
- French translation is being maintained again due to the arrival of a new translator
- Major updates to French
- Significant updates to Russian
- German is still being maintained and is still up to date

Balance:
- Native raids no longer destroys all production
- Cross cost of immigrants now increases slower, but max price has increased
- Slave Overseer and Slave Hunter are now less overpowered
- Town guard is now a bit stronger
- Master carpenters now reqiures a college for education
- Cargo price changes
- Dutch Mercantile trait now provides trade goods in colonies
- French now gets 2 baked goods per colony per turn
- Hemp and flax planters are now available in Europe
- Rebalanced what some of the terrains can produce
- More terrains now produce clay (should reduce the risk of not being able to produce any)
- Corrected Balancing of REF to not get Terrain Defenses

Fixes:
- Goodies no longer spawn on mountain peaks
- Domestic prices are no longer unattractive compared to European prices
- Full barracks no longer blocks civilians and cargo from being unloaded
- Founding fathers will no longer be able to reveal shipwrecks as that would discover the Pacific without going there
- Russian dragoons will no longer have greatly oversized heads in some situations
- Event where servant steals money will now remove money rather than adding them to the player
- Peace granted through a founding father will now have a minimum duration (prevents declaring war the following turn)
- Failed Missionary could not use the school system
- #808: leader traits granding production bonuses to all colonies will now always provide those in all colonies
- Production help text (like mouseover on hammers) will now display the correct numbers
- Taiga no longer prevents pioneers from building farms or plantations
- Danish ship (which?) now has a Danish flag, not English
- Fixed issue where docks could not be built on certain small lakes
- Great general can now join artillery professions
- FF Verrazano now reveals goodie huts
- Fixed a missing ambient sound for Terrains
- Sea animals no longer spawns under ice
- Fixed issue with wool related to storage capacity view
- Fixed issue with Cochineal using wrong Improvement
- #842 Fixed issue caused by cashing of Slave Production Modifier
- Foreign kings offering immigrants will now offer a random unit and not just the same as what other kings offer
- #846 starting a game in another era than discovery will no longer crash the game (still not recommended to start in anything but discovery)
- #854 Buying deep water ships from king without any suitable colony no longer crashes the game
- Fixed issue where construction supplies didn't take up cargo space as intended
- #865 with Construction supplies that could not be loaded on Wagon Trains, Smuggling Ships
- Fixed vanilla bug where AI assumed it could construct all buildings due to a typo
- Attacking smuggler ships no longer reveals their owner
- Fog no longer prevents pioneers from building improvements
- #845 European wars will no longer be able to end right after they started
- Port Royal, not Africa is where new world resource experts can be bought
- #872 Colony screen no longer breaks completely by trying to draw the icon of NO_YIELD
- Carriages can now use ferries across large rivers
- Fixed pathfinding issue where ships would sometimes prefer to go through storms
- Iron Mines, Iron Mills and Peat Pits no longer destroys bogs (ore boosting improvements should not remove a +2 ore bonus)
- #804 Ice lakes are no longer generated in deserts
- Fixed a number of seemingly random crashes caused by selection groups containing a NULL unit
- Citadels ands Bastions will no longer view all units as infrantry
- #874 Automated scouts will now take enemy units into account when moving
- #874 Automated scouts will now stop automation if they are done exploring, hence making the player aware that the scout is available
- Units can no longer move after bombarding a colony
- Fixed (vanilla?) bug where selling to natives increases the counter of what has been sold in Europe
- AI settlers will no longer permanently take up a cargo slot on a ship if it can't find a suitable location to settle
- Ranchers no longer lists domestic requirements, which it doesn't actually require
- #900 Fixed issue where tax increases could cause tax to decrease (only happened with taxes above 60%)
- #902 createAnimalsSea now uses xml settings for sea animals rather than land animals
- Fixed rare issue where Town guard could end up with blue skin

Internals:
- Added wrapper classes to avoid exe and python from calling our code directly (adds modding freedom)
- Complete rewrite of OOS logging to allow savegame to dump all saved data to the log output

Thanks for the release, we have created a multiplayer game and we are getting desynch straight of the creation of the game. If you create standard size it desynchs, we then revert to small size and it works.

edit: Only small size map does not create a desynch, other sizes we get desynch as soon as game launches.

Last edited:
Also, my brother's game crashes everytime he tries to trade or negotiate with indians. Game closes directly, any ideas folks?

I just did trades with two Native nations, no problems. It's all going smooth as silk.

Governor difficulty, Massive map, playing as Portugal.

Also, my brother's game crashes everytime he tries to trade or negotiate with indians. Game closes directly, any ideas folks?
I have also no crashs - all works fine. Could your brother or you please upload a savegame straigt before the crash happens so that we can see what might happen?

Thanks for the release, we have created a multiplayer game and we are getting desynch straight of the creation of the game. If you create standard size it desynchs, we then revert to small size and it works.

edit: Only small size map does not create a desynch, other sizes we get desynch as soon as game launches.
I never managed to track down the cause of desyncs. Instead I improved logging so now I need somebody to desync and then send me the log. To create an OOS log, open the ingame main menu (hotkey escape) and use the new button, which shows up only during OOS events. There is a slight design flaw here, which makes it only show up while the OOS text is on the screen. Since it's flashing, you might need to open the menu a few times.
Once you have the log, a message will appear on all computers about sending in the logs. Zip the log folder for all players and send it in as a bug report. Hopefully that will finally reveal what is causing the desync.

menu.png

Send me a savegame. I need to reproduce the crash with the debugger attached or we will never know what causes this.

It took me forever to stop it from defaulting to 4.0.2 on launch. I had to remove that sub-folder from the MODS folder in order to get it to load 4.1. But I got it!

It took me forever to stop it from defaulting to 4.0.2 on launch. I had to remove that sub-folder from the MODS folder in order to get it to load 4.1. But I got it!
That's odd. If you load 4.1, then it should start to default to 4.1. It worked well in that regard even with multiple mods back when I wrote the feature. However I admit I did not explicitly test for 4.0.2 vs 4.1. I just assumed an untouched feature didn't change behavior.

I had a very smooth install and a start to my first game. No complaints.
Thank you for this release and all the effort!

It has to do with the bypass of having to actually load the mod instead of the game loading it by default on launch. Even though I had everything right, it kept launching 4.0.2. When I removed that folder, I got some sort of error message, it told me I had to restart, and when I did, it grabbed 4.1.

I think I could manually load 4.1, but it was from 4.0.2 since that's what the launch defaulted to, so it's not like I couldn't load 4.1. I was just trying to get it to launch straight to 4.1 and was having problems with it sticking to 4.0.2.

It's all good, I got it working. Loving the fact that the random maps now are fully integrated. Seeing maple leaves and yerba for the first time on those types of maps.

Quick question on how the new learning mechanic for carpenter works, just to confirm my understanding - no one can become a carpenter solely by working as a carpenter, they have to learn the skill by education. My question is, I notice when I put someone in a school that they show how many turns they have worked toward carpenter status. Am I correct that the time worked is subtracted from the turns needed in school? So if it's 40 turns for a brand new free colonist to learn from scratch, if I put someone in the school who spent 20 turns working as a carpenter, they would become a carpenter in 20 turns?

no one can become a carpenter solely by working as a carpenter, they have to learn the skill by education.
No, colopedia explicitly states that the profession carpenter can make units become experts.

My question is, I notice when I put someone in a school that they show how many turns they have worked toward carpenter status.
That is for becoming expert through work experience, not school.

Am I correct that the time worked is subtracted from the turns needed in school? So if it's 40 turns for a brand new free colonist to learn from scratch, if I put someone in the school who spent 20 turns working as a carpenter, they would become a carpenter in 20 turns?
No, those two numbers are unlinked. Part of the issue is that you select what the units will become once education is done rather than at the start. For this reason if carpenter experience will provide a speed boost, the current code will also give a speed boost to say veteran soldiers. In other words it's a system rewrite if what you ask for should be implemented.

It states how long a unit has worked as X purely to let you know that is the free colonist, which you should move back to that profession if you don't want to kick out that experience. It didn't always say that and then it was guesswork to find the correct free colonist if you had multiple.

OK, then I misunderstood what this meant under Balance:

- Master carpenters now reqiures a college for education

I took that to mean a colonist could only become a carpenter by education in a college.

Thanks.

Congratulations!
I would like to single out two parts of the changelog:
- the option to only show available yields is fantastic
- the rebalanced map script offers endless replayability

Thank you all!

Kind regards
XSamatan

I saw the "available yields" change, but where is that found?

I saw the "available yields" change, but where is that found?
On the top left corner of the yield table, a little outside of its frame lies a button. The setting is saved, so no need to reactivate it after loading up a game.

Top Bottom