The Deity Challenge Line-up #36 - Assyria

Acken

Deity
There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

The map is attached at the bottom of this post !

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.

Rules:

- New games will be posted every 10 days.
- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.
- When posting about your victory, please begin the post with the turn number and Victory Condition in bold letters - e.g. "T247 DiploV" (this is so the person who updates the spreadsheet can see it more easily)

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

- - -

DCL Game #36
You: Assyria
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Mesopotamia

Extra Settings: No ruins

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Easy... or not ?

Starting Location:

Spoiler :

Quick combat and movement are on (turn them off if you like)

Game Version - 1.0.3.279
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Spain and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Past Games

Spoiler :
Super Easy

Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangaea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval

Easy

Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Fractal
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe
Game #36 20/07/15 Assyria

Medium

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangaea
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangaea
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangaea
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangaea

Hard

Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Fractal

Super Hard

Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangaea

Past Games Links
Spoiler :

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangea
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe
Game #35 10/07/15 Siam OCC Pangea
Game #36 20/07/15 Assyria Mesopotamia

- - -

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs from your computer.

Attachments

• DCL #36 - Assyria.Civ5Save
    525.5 KB · Views: 241
Spoiler :

Is this a kind of Pangaea? No way to bypass early warfare using Liberty I suppose

Spoiler :

Is this a kind of Pangaea? No way to bypass early warfare using Liberty I suppose
Spoiler :
This map is gigantic. I think I will sit back and do a peddroelm tank rush. Never tried. Maybe only Persia is doable with Siege Towers.

On t43 Arabia has 6 cities. o_O

Whoah, the starting screen makes me feel like this is a massive massive map in size. Probably a loooong game

Spoiler :
I like how the whole theme is Mesopotamia, not just the map. This is one of my favorite map scripts, I play it a lot. I tried this save for a liberty wide approach, but settled city 5 and 6 late, and did not manage to get Persian capital with 3 CBs and 2 siege towers (they had 2 legions). I discovered Persia too late, I don't know why I did not scout that area, I knew there were 3 civs in that direction.

Having neighbors so far away, and no ruins, things were quite slow. I managed to steal 2 workers, and build 2, totaling 5 with the one from liberty, for 6 cities. NC in 110s, metal casting first then education in 130s (with no money for universities because I made a mistake and rush bought some aqueducts). My cities, while they had huge growth potential (got pantheon that gives +1 for wheat and citrus) they lack hammers.

I think I will give this map another try someday.

I think I will just go wide Liberty, try tearing up things once I get arty. Prolly I fall back to SV, but I want to get something out of the UA.

Siege towers don't keep their buff when upgraded, so I guess try to never upgrade them. I tried, but just once, and the AI would target them with GWB so they died quick in the Modern era.

They start with Cover 1, so I will be building them early as garrisons, but stand them in front of barbs. They will get Cover 2 pretty quick. Cover 2 on cannons means the GWB and later bombers should be much less of a problem.

Spoiler :
This just seems like a hard map to utilise the UA/UU on. I think I will try to saturate and found 4-5 cities, currently just plonked down one. The map is so large that it feels like early war will be futile - wasting much of the obsolescence lifetime of units just in the march to enemy lands. Idk about anyone else but no one has settled even remotely close to me. I opened liberty, am trying to keep my scouts alive amidst the barbarian hordes, am currently teching for NC before spamming more settlers (is that the wrong choice? I don't have any happy to expand right now anyway) and building Pyramids. I definitely feel like I won't be able to manage this game effectively without Pyramids lol.

No hammers around the flat flat flat start area, this is going to be a production starved game.

I am not a good domination player/wide player but I still want to try some conquest with this save - probably closer to xbows-artillery-rocket artillery because I just don't see how conquest will function economically otherwise. Of course, if really no one comes my way I may just try a wide high-science build.

EDIT: T93
Spoiler :

I have no idea whether I am progressing well or not. I think that I may try to restart, because the way I have played this is way more like a tradition start than a liberty one I think. I have 4 cities and a 5th coming, but it's nearly T100 and I am not sure that further delaying NC is going to be a good idea. Had some luck in that Harun sent me 3 trade routes, making up nearly half my bpt, and both my scouts are still alive thanks to Scouting I and judicious juking, but this is going to be a weird game. I don't know when it is going to make sense to actually do conquest considering how far away everything is; pedro's dom guide for example suggests skipping public schools for artillery but I just can't see hitting all the capitals with artillery without getting massively outpaced. Considering the high food/lux start but low production, I am tempted to restart with a slow Tradition and go for science/culture. Huge waste of Assyria's abilities, I know, but there is no one to conquer...

I have a screenshot of my city placement - critiques would be welcome! I had originally considered planting 2-3 more than this, perhaps out to the wine on the left for more lux, but couldn't see it happening fast enough. I did not want to still be building NC at T150 - universities would just never come online. So the choice became keeping it more compact, I am thinking up to the right to make a nice defensible territory, but no fresh water up there.... OCC takes so much complexity out of the game :)
Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Barbs much worse than the raging barbs on Egypt challenge IMO. Tried a tradition start. 3 city NC +1. Was slow due to production starved capital, limited worker steal opportunities (did get two from Darius but took forever to get them back to friendly lands) and no friendly trade routes (other civs too far away). Got education by 123. Barb camps keep spawning and pumping out horse and swords so barbs kept popping up at the border and wrecking improvements before archer and city could kill them.

So much space out there. Even by 125 large sections of free unclaimed territory and still had a couple of civs I couldn't find due to all the barbs wreaking havoc on scouts. Eventually called it as I grew tired of fighting barbs and rebuilding improvements.

This just seems like a hard map to utilise the UA/UU on.

The Assyrian UU is tough to make relevant in any Deity game, and I think that a bigger map makes it worse. But why is this map worse for the UA? Also, one gets the free tech from taking fringe trash cities just as much as the cap. So focus on the easiest cities rather the the ones usually worth bothering with?

Does Assyrian UA work on city states?

According to this Mega Bears Fan article, yes!

Spoiler :
Wow, this map is HUGE. I haven't played a Large map in ages, but this feels like playing on a Large map with 8 civs. I agree that this makes the barbarians at least as troublesome as on the Egypt map. I met my first CS on T17 and my first civ on T20! (quickly realized that this was definitely not a random selection of AI civs) On the bright side, the AI seems to be struggling with the barbarians and low production, too. Gold is plentiful so buying buildings helps make up for low production, but I'm somewhat frustrated by the slow pace of the game. (both mine and the AI's) I think I might try restarting the game with an exotic strategy just to shake things up a bit; I think the isolated start presents a good opportunity for experimentation.

I'm definitely trying a peddroelm style Liberty/Honor/Commerce late domination. Hopefully one of these days though <_<

Top Bottom