Language translations for leader sayings

Calling Carthage Qart Hadast is just smart no matter what. However, I am leaning towards it being a Phoenician language. Here's an example

I'm glad we've narrowed it to a Semitic language and eliminated Hebrew and probably Arabic. It would be nice to confirm Aramaic. Process of elimination is much easier than the alternative.

For Byzantium, I was only listening for key words, but they made me think Medieval Latin (I thought I heard "figlia" or "daughter). Then again, other parts sound Greek, so I clearly don't know.

Same for me. I heard myself also filia, but the rest doesn't sound in any way like Latin.

As for Dido, she speaks some sort of Canaanite/Phoenician (the word 'nk/אנכ is a proof for that), I doubt it's Punic since not much is known about that later variety of this language. And besides, Dido herself came from Tyre so Canaanite/Phoenician would suit her more than the later Punic. It's definitely not Arabic, Aramaic or Hebrew.

IMHO she says "May the ???? bless the one that comes to the domain of Naʻaman(Adonis). I am Dido the queen of Qarthago and everything that is hers (of Carthago)" [brkw h???? 't ht' lmmlkt hnʻmn. 'nk dydw hmlkt qrt ḥdsht wkl hw' lh]

Just a note that there are leader intros for the new civs on the G&K website: http://www.civilization5.com/godsandkings/us/civilizations/

Theodora speaks Greek from the sound of it.

Boudicca speaks Welsh. Moreover I believe she says
"Mae fy enw(?) Buddug, brenhines y Celtiaid. [something]" - My name is(?) Boudicca, queen of the Celts. [something]

I read somebody said they spoke Welsh so we should be able to get that translated.

Yep, that's me.

She says: "I am Boudica, Queen of the Celts, and nobody better try rushing me" - Modern (media type) Welsh. They should've got someone huskier (maybe heavier?) to do her voice in my opinion.

I'll do that translations when the game is released. Is there a way for me to do them all without playing the game through and waiting for them? Shame I'll only be able to hear her when I'm playing against her!

I'll do that translations when the game is released. Is there a way for me to do them all without playing the game through and waiting for them? Shame I'll only be able to hear her when I'm playing against her!
All the voice files in game at the moment are in the Civ 5 folder where Steam installs it (probably steam/steamapps/common/Sid Mei.../assets/sounds/speech/shared, +DLC lines are in the DLC folders). I imagine this will be the case with G&K too, and I'm sure somebody can upload them if you don't want to wait the extra days for the international release to translate.

What in the world is Attila speaking!!!

As for Haile Selassie, he says Ras (title) Tafari Makonnen (his birth name). I might have a friend who understands Amharic, so I will try asking her to translate it.

A Greek speaker should understand Theodora, at least partially, she pronounces her name as "febora", and says "Byzantion" at the end.

For Pacal, I will contact a Yucatec Maya professor to see if that is the language he is speaking.

This is an amazing thread with so many linguistic treasures but I do have a suggestion for a translation mistake in Wu Zetian's lines:

"DeclareWar: You won't ever be able to bother me again. Go meet Yan (King of Hell, known as "Yama" in Sanskrit). (你們再也不能冒犯我了。 見閻王去吧。) Nǐmen zài yě bùnéng màofàn wǒ le. Jiàn yánwáng qù ba"

The word translated as bother here, 冒犯 (màofàn) is actually translated as "offend" and carries a far greater negative connotation in Chinese. The word for bother is generally 麻煩 (máfan) or in some contexts, 打擾 (dǎrǎo). Also, 你們 (nǐmen) is technically a plural second-person personal pronoun (closest translation would be something like "you all") but since "you" can be plural in English I guess it works.

One more thing: I feel that it'd be fine to just say in the English translation to say "go meet Yama." After all, 閻王 (yánwáng) is short for 閻羅王 (yánluó wáng), which itself is short for the words 閻魔 羅闍 (Yánmó luóshé), a transliteration of the Sanskrit "yama raja" (King Yama). There are many such Sanskrit contractions in Chinese, but we ultimately translate them in English to the Sanskrit original. As an example, one wouldn't translate into English that they "believe in Fo" when the character 佛 (fó) is an abbreviation of the Sanskrit transliteration 佛佗 (fótuó), or Buddha. One would just say they "believe in the Buddha." TL;DR, "go meet King Yama" sounds less awkward and is more in line with Chinese-English translation norms.

Source: Native Chinese speaker, studied both Classical and Modern Chinese.

This is an amazing thread with so many linguistic treasures but I do have a suggestion for a translation mistake in Wu Zetian's lines:

"DeclareWar: You won't ever be able to bother me again. Go meet Yan (King of Hell, known as "Yama" in Sanskrit). (你們再也不能冒犯我了。 見閻王去吧。) Nǐmen zài yě bùnéng màofàn wǒ le. Jiàn yánwáng qù ba"

The word translated as bother here, 冒犯 (màofàn) is actually translated as "offend" and carries a far greater negative connotation in Chinese. The word for bother is generally 麻煩 (máfan) or in some contexts, 打擾 (dǎrǎo). Also, 你們 (nǐmen) is technically a plural second-person personal pronoun (closest translation would be something like "you all") but since "you" can be plural in English I guess it works.

Source: Native Chinese speaker, studied both Classical and Modern Chinese.
Heh, actually pointed out the maofan issue, but they've decided to keep it that way *shrugs*
You're also quite right about 你們 (nǐmen), so I guess we could add a note saying that it's a plural you...

Heh, actually pointed out the maofan issue, but they've decided to keep it that way *shrugs*
You're also quite right about 你們 (nǐmen), so I guess we could add a note saying that it's a plural you...

Hah, I must not have seen it. The word "bother" bothers me - the translation makes it seem like she's talking to an annoying younger brother instead of a statesman or stateswoman.

Hah, I must not have seen it. The word "bother" bothers me - the translation makes it seem like she's talking to an annoying younger brother instead of a statesman or stateswoman.

開膛破肚 (disembowel) isn't exactly something you'd tell your brother...
I actually advocated for an even stronger translation with 'violate' initially XD

She's way too friendly. Wu Zetian was supposed to be an imperious, power-hungry empress, and completely ruthless.

開膛破肚 (disembowel) isn't exactly something you'd tell your brother...
I actually advocated for an even stronger translation with 'violate' initially XD

She's way too friendly. Wu Zetian was supposed to be an imperious, power-hungry empress, and completely ruthless.

True, I forgot about the second half of that line. But "violate" can mean something completely different... :blush:

Hope someone implements the changes soon.

according to a youtube video of Theodora from the G&K website, Theodora speaks Greek and is saying '" Oh what a miracle, what is the name of the good stranger ? I'm Theodora, the friend of Byzantium. "'

according to a youtube video of Theodora from the G&K website, Theodora speaks Greek and is saying '" Oh what a miracle, what is the name of the good stranger ? I'm Theodora, the friend of Byzantium. "'

In the G+K expansion Theodora comes with subtitles.;)

Now that Gods & Kings has been released and that people have (hopefully) been able to play against Attila - has anyone gotten closer to figuring out what language he speaks? It doesn't sound like a constructed language or made-up to me.

BoudicaAttacked:
"Ti feiddia! Mae fi bydd yn perchen ar dy ben di!"
"You dare! I will be the one owning your head/I will own your head!"

BoudicaDeclaresWar: (This one is pretty hard to understand)
"Mae fi'n wylio a ti, yr hen mwyach a ffiaithdra/mochau ffiaithdra! I'r gad(?) gwladgarwyr! Marchogon i rhyfel"
"I've been watching you, you're most devious!/you devious pigs! To guard/arms patriots! (We) March to war!"

BoudicaDefeated: Again the first bit is hard to understand...
"Erchrydus Frenin! Ti yr wythost yn enw yn unig yr 'enillaist' y rhyfel hon?"
"Evil/Awful King! You realised that you 'won' this war in name only?"

BoudicaHateHello: Easy lol
"Wel?"
"Well?"

BoudicaHateLetsHearIt01: This first bit here doesn't make sense in the context really ...
"Ymlaen! Cyn i mi newid fy meddwl!"
"Forward! Before I change my mind"

BoudicaHateLetsHearIt02:
"A?"
"And?"

BoudicaHateLetsHearIt03:
"Siarada!"
"Speak!"

BoudicaHate01:
"Hyna'n anerbyniol!"
"That's unnacceptable!"

BoudicaHate02:
"Mil waith na!"
"A Thousand times no!"

BoudicaHate03:
"Byth!"
"Never!"

BoudicaHate01 AND 02: These are exactly the same but voiced twice, they use a well known Welsh phrase "Ych a fi" which is basically "Eugh/Disgusting!"
"Ych a fi! O'r gorau..."
"Eugh/Disgusting! Fine/Okay then..."

BoudicaHate03:
"Ond os oes rhaid i mi..."
"But if I have too..."

BoudicaIntro: Same as I posted before
"Mae fi yw Buddug, Brenhines y Celtiaid, a peidiad neb am tra frysio i."
"I am Boudica, Queen of the Celts, and nobody better try rushing me."

BoudicaNeutralHello: Think this what she says, unless I've completely misheard
"Duw a rhoddod da i chwi"
"God has given good to you" - I've never really heard this as a saying before so...?

BoudicaNeutralLetsHearIt01 AND 02: Same again, voiced twice
"Rydym yn glustiau i gyd..."
"We are all ears..."

BoudicaNeutralLetsHearIt03:
"Ymlaen."
"Forward." - Like I posted before, this isn't really the best word to use here.

BoudicaNeutralNo01:
"Mae'n rhaid i ni wrthod."
"We must refuse/decline."

BoudicaNeutralNo02:
"Na."
"No."

BoudicaNeutralNo03:
"Rydym yn gwrthod"
"We refuse/decline."

BoudicaNeutralYes01:
"Iawn"
"Okay"

BoudicaNeutralYes02: No idea what the first bit is... sounds like "Byd siwr" but it's gibberish...
"Byd(?) siwr."
"???? sure."

BoudicaNeutralYes03:
"Cytynwyd"
"Accepted/We accept"

BoudicaPeaceful: They missed a trick here, should've put "Chwarae teg" a well known phrase for "Fair play" instead of "Chwarae da" which sounds rubbish ...
"Chwarae da, cydrhyfelwr."
"Good play/Well played, fellow warrior."

BoudicaRequest:
"Gadewch i ni uno ein byddinoedd, ac elwa o'r herwydd.
"Let us unite our armies, and profit from the challenges" - Sort of like rewards I suppose.

A few of them are a bit odd, but that's the lot.

Top Bottom