Best Interest

Does every nation act primarily in its own best interest?

• Yes

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Only the USA

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Fifty

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you think that every nation will almost always act in its own best interest?

I bring this up because there is a lot of talk of America as being a place full of nationalists that do not care about anything but America. I would contend that indeed every country acts in its own best interest. What are you thoughts?

well....yes. People just disagree over what is in the nation's best interest.

Yes, but to varying degrees. I think EU countries are much more willing to compromise, while the USA does not compromise as much.

This poll is too simple, I refuse to vote.

Of course everybody act in their own interest, however, some do this more than others, some don't care if they hurt others in the proces.
I remember many Americans on this board agreeing with sharpe, when he said that he wanted US to dominate the world, in order to increase his standard of living. Well, if that's the only reason, to help one self and don't give a damn about the rest of the world, to don't care if others are pulled down in ones rise, then yes, America is more guilty than many others.

My standard of living is good enough, I wouldn't mind it to be better or course, but I'd rather have it like it is, than getting rich on others expense.
If Denmark ruled the world, we would try to shape it in our image (Democracy and such). Not try to get rich on it's expense.

If my nation didn't act in its best interest or the best interest of its citizens, I wouldn't live here.

EDIT: As long as our actions don't tread on the rights and dignities of others.

Yes; all nations function in such a way.

If they admit it or if it is superficially visible is an entirely different matter.

Only 1 fool and someone taking the mickey voted that only the US acts primarily to support its own interests.

This is a very poorly thought out poll, the question should be as regarding the degree to which a country goes to pursue its own interests over those of other nations. Then, perhaps, we could have a debate.

"Free will is an illusion. People will always choose the choice that has greater merit.";)

I forget where that quote comes from, but it seems applicable.

Anyways, hell yeah nations act in their ultimate best interest. Whether we like it or not, global politics is a dirty, no-hold-barred competition. It's all one big game, where the stakes are infinately high and the ultimate prize is both to come out on top and stay on top.

SeleucusNicator said:
Yes; all nations function in such a way.

If they admit it or if it is superficially visible is an entirely different matter.
Only a theif thinks everybody steals...

Even though all nations act for their own benifit, some do so more than others. Some take others wellbeing into considderation when they act, some do not.

kittenOFchaos said:
Only 1 fool and someone taking the mickey voted that only the US acts primarily to support its own interests.

This is a very poorly thought out poll, the question should be as regarding the degree to which a country goes to pursue its own interests over those of other nations. Then, perhaps, we could have a debate.

There seems to be some sort of misconception that acting multilaterally or trying to create a multilateral world is somehow incompatible with acting in a nation's best interest.

This is false; for many nations, creating a multipolar world would be in their best interest. This is especially true of smaller, weaker nations (such as, say, Denmark or Belgium). In a multipolar system, they would have greater security and more relative power.

storealex said:
Only a theif thinks everybody steals...

Even though all nations act for their own benifit, some do so more than others. Some take others wellbeing into considderation when they act, some do not.

Give me an example of Denmark acting against its interests. I can tell you right now you will find very few.

SeleucusNicator said:
Give me an example of Denmark acting against its interests. I can tell you right now you will find very few.
In 97, we spend 1,1% of our BNP on foreign aid, helping poor countries around the world. At that time, US spend 0,1% of it's BNP on foreign aid. '

Is it in Denmarks interest to aid starving people in Timbuktu? I think not.

Besides, you're twisting my words here. Im not saying that we don't act in our own interest, Im saying that we take others wellbeing into considderation when we act. That's different.

SeleucusNicator said:
In a multipolar system, they would have greater security and more relative power.
Greater security? No way! As it is now, US is taking all the flak, while still being there to protect us, should someone pose a serious threat. Denmark has never been more safe than it is now.

For the most part, yes.

A Government would probably fall from power if they didn't act in the interests of their nation. Citizens expect their government to act in their interests, if they don't then they will probably elect a government that would.

nonconformist said:
Yes, but to varying degrees. I think EU countries are much more willing to compromise, while the USA does not compromise as much.
Yeh thats pretty much my opinion as well.

Ian Beale said:
A Government would probably fall from power if they didn't act in the interests of their nation. Citizens expect their government to act in their interests, if they don't then they will probably elect a government that would.
Yeah thats obvious, which is why so many europeans feel offended by the US population, because they believed that americans would want kerry as a "europeanized" leader, but they obviously feel bush leadership is in there best interest, which it probably is, empires need strong military/religious style leaders , not floppy liberal "economic" leaders, and if even without realizing it, most americans think that america is a modern "empire", in that the world is best with america at the top, I tend to agree. Like some one above said about mrsharpe and some of the people who support him, they feel that the world is best with america as its leader, which is the exact same feeling british, roman, greek, and babylonians have felt during history.

Yes...they pretty much have to.

Sometimes, a leader has a vision for the world. Sometimes a leader believes that the world would be better off with certain policies in place. Sometimes a leader believes that it is in the WORLD's best interest if a certain action was taken, such as to reduce the amount of pollution emmited by the country to counter global warming.

Of course the action a country takes will benefit the country. But that may not necessarily be the SOLE reason for the country to take that action.

Top Bottom