Combat System Explained

Does it matter that he's necroposting if he had a relevant question? It's either that or opening up a new thread, and really, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I've only been a registered member for 29 days now ;) , but I've been lurking for quite a long time. I've never understood, never seen explained, why thread necromancy is to be avoided. Anyone wanna enlighten me? You can PM me if you like.

To return to topic: I don't have actual numbers, but I happen to know that a mech. inf. fortified in a metro on a hill is dang near impossible to budge. Especially if the city has SAMs and civil defense. Put a spearman in the same place and you'll still lose several units trying to take it, unless you bring in arties and bombard the crap out of it.

Just my 2g.

I've only been a registered member for 29 days now , but I've been lurking for quite a long time. I've never understood, never seen explained, why thread necromancy is to be avoided. Anyone wanna enlighten me?
Spammers often do it. They'll make a meaningless post, say... "That's neat" on an idea presented years ago, stuff like that.

That is certainly justifiable grounds for annoyance, but that sort of thing should not, in my opinion be grounds for general distaste of necroposting. Necroposting does no ill, it's the spamming that's bad.

Does it matter that he's necroposting if he had a relevant question? It's either that or opening up a new thread, and really, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I was talking about his ZoC explanation.

I see. Well, he did have a question. If he hadn't, I'd agree, one shouldn't do that.

this combat systym why coudnt it be like chess where the elite tank'actually takes out the conscript warrior

It will, never even heard of a warrior taking down a tank. A spear, yes that has happened. I had it once in vanilla, never in C3C though.

If your point is that massive mismatches should always lose, I am with you. Designers wanted to make it so obsolete units would not be totally worthless. They use the rng to provide that chance.

We tried to get them to add in Fire Power ala civ2 or increase hit points or to alter the rng to reduce the wild swings. They actually agreed, but ran out of time during 1.22 (and money), so here we are.

It is not really the tank against AA units that is the issue for me. It is more like some what distant units having out comes that can range from A kills B and A lost no hit points to B kills A and lost none. That is too wide of a swing and too much impact.

I am fine with A being an 80% favorite and losing from time to time, but not so fine with it doing no damage. No matter, we have to live with it as it is now.

I've only been a registered member for 29 days now ;) , but I've been lurking for quite a long time. I've never understood, never seen explained, why thread necromancy is to be avoided. Anyone wanna enlighten me? You can PM me if you like.

Because even if the necromancing post is relevant to the topic at hand, some people just won't look at the dates and will respond to something that was said years ago, and possibly even answered. Sort of like this.

vmxa said:
We tried to get them to add in Fire Power ala civ2 or increase hit points or to alter the rng to reduce the wild swings. They actually agreed, but ran out of time during 1.22 (and money), so here we are.

I don't see what was wrong with Civ2's combat system that they needed to change it at all. The only thing I can think of that's significantly different is the Leader system, and they could still just add an "Elite" level after Veteran that does the same thing (unless programming is much stranger than I always thought).

I don't see what was wrong with Civ2's combat system that they needed to change it at all.

Really, you thought it was fine that one strong unit could kill a whole stack by winning one battle? I surely did not think it was a great system, I did like the idea of Fire Power to level things out.

Not the stack-kill, but the way combat worked. Ten to Forty HP based on tech level, with associated Firepower, and bonus to A/D numbers for Veterancy.

Top Bottom