Joebles' Civilizations

Joebles

Chieftain
New Civilizations

Gruul Clans

Spoiler :
Leader: Borborygmos.

Unique Ability: Unruly Masses - No Unhappiness from number of Cities. Unhappiness from number of Citizens increased by 50%. Pre-gunpowder melee Units move twice as fast through Hills and Forests.

Unique Unit: Rubblehulk - A powerful Renaissance melee unit that replaces the Trebuchet. Excellent at sieging cities.

Unique Building: Stomping Grounds - Gruul Barracks replacement. In addition to the bonus 15% XP, it grants you 15% Production towards training melee units, and all melee units trained in the city have the Bloodied promotion, increasing XP gain by 25%.

Steam Workshop | Dropbox

Known Bugs as of v2:

Author's Notes:
A while ago, just as I was starting to get into modding Civ 5, I saw Silly's Innistrad civ pop up on reddit, and suddenly I realized that I really wanted to make the guilds from Ravnica into civs. I feel a bit awkward posting this now as he's started to work on the Azorius guild himself, but since I was essentially done with this I figured I would post it anyway and just hope I don't come off as stepping on anyone's toes.

This is the first completed civ mod I've ever done, so there isn't a lot of technical trickery here. Instead I simply tried to build up a fun and synergistic civ with just XML. My next ideas, however, are definitely going to require some lua trickery, which I am already brainstorming about.​

Version 2 - Change Notes

Spoiler :
Balance Changes:
- Unruly Masses rebalanced to be better - now all cities with below 6 population have a net gain of happiness over a Civilization without this ability.
-Stomping Grounds now only applies the Bloodied promotion to pre-gunpowder melee units, and the experience bonus is down to 25% from 50%.

Graphics Changes:
-New model for the Rubblehulk unit (from the Civfanatics forums via seZereth, S3rgeus, and Nutty). Rubblehulk Strategic View icon now works properly.

Miscellaneous Changes:
-City names table fully filled so there should be no more database errors.

Ahn'Qiraj

Spoiler :
Leader: Prophet Skeram

Unique Ability: Whispers of Madness - +1 :c5faith: Faith per 8 followers of your Religion. Your units have +15% attack strength while near an enemy city following your Religion.

Unique Building: Obelisk of C'Thun - + 2 :c5faith: Faith, +1 :c5happy: Happiness. Shrine replacement.

Unique Unit: Conqueror - 25% bonus combat strength outside of friendly lands, -25% combat strength inside of friendly lands. Mustketman replacemant.

This mod also adds a religion to the game, "Madness of C'Thun", for players and AI to use.

Steam Workshop | Dropbox

Known Bugs as of v1:

Author's Notes:
The first in a hopeful series of Warcraft civs, Ahn'Qiraj is a Religion-based civ, a mechanic I felt could represent the spread of corruption surrounding the Warcraft Old Gods quite well. Gameplay wise, the Qiraji play best with a wide-reaching empire to take the most advantage of their powerful Shrine replacement, building up a strong religious base before a powerful mid-game offensive push, if you're going domination. Their UU supports being very aggressive, and with the right Religious beliefs, you can stack up a strong combat power advantage for your units!

Flavor-wise, Skeram was chosen instead of the Twin Emperors for two reasons: the Religious light AQ's UA casts them in, and, frankly there wasn't much artwork beyond the one promotional image of Skeram to work with.

Ahn'Qiraj is a little more complex than my previous venture into the modding world, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Please let me know what you think!​

Hm... the uniques aren't convincing me, why not the War Plow? It looks much more siege-weapon-y to me. On the same note, I'd go with the Rage Pits (or fighting pits in general) instead of the Stomping Grounds, both could work though, in theory.

The War Plow is definitely more of a siege weapon, but an important note about the Gruul UU is that it's technically a melee unit, which allows it to both benefit from the UA and UB bonuses. It can also defend itself and fight other units better than a siege weapon of this era normally can - thus I wanted to represent it with something that seemed less specifically siege weapon-like and more just huge and dangerous. I think the Rubblehulk fit the bill pretty well.

I did a quick fix today, updating the Rubblehulk to have a new model and doing a few balance changes. The math on the original UA was much farther off than I had intended, so I tweaked the numbers, and after some consideration I think the Bloodied bonus was just too strong - you normally have to go 3 policies deep in Honor to get that kind of bonus. That is a much more significant cost than building a barracks. It's been changed to only effect pre-gunpowder melee units (fitting with the Gruul's brutish theme) and now only increases exp gained by 25%.

My next project is going to be Rakdos, and today I sketched out most of the groundwork I need to start on it.

Woah, more M:TG Civs, and Ravnica at that, awesome!

I saw the Innistrad Civ too, so I was definitely surprised to see more of these pop up.
AND U CHOOSE GRUUL, GRUUL STRONG

Would really try this out, might be fun. :D
By the way, I also posted an idea for an Orzhov Civ in the request thread, you might want to check it out :D

Here's an idea for House Dimir and the Golgari Swarm, if you don't mind:
Spoiler :
Dimir
Focus: Spying! and a little bit of Tourism, to sow unhappiness and discord among your enemies.
The leader can be Szadek or Lazav, whoever you think is better :D
UA: Spies start out as Agents, and also give +2 Tourism when placed in foreign cities. Diplomats also provide a Tourism modifier even before you adopt an Ideology.
UB: Duskmantle - Replaces the Constabulary. Has no gold maintenance. Trade routes with cities that have Spies on them give you 10% Culture and Tourism.
UU: Specter - Replaces the Lancer. Much more expensive to build, but ignores terrain movement costs. Also, when it kills a unit, it steals a promotion from it.

Golgari (is this possible? I think it will be hard to code, but I was trying to think of something that fits with their scavenging nature.)
UA: Units killed on Golgari borders provide food equal to a portion of their Combat Strength. This food is sent to the nearest city. Can see Hidden Antiquity sites even without completing the Exploration Policy Tree.
UU: Shaman - replaces the Archaeologist. Much more expensive to build, but is not consumed upon use. It also has a Combat Strength of 25, and can create unique Improvements. Shamans also receive +1 Combat strength per exisitng Overgrown Tomb.
UI: Overgrown Tomb - replaces the Landmark improvement. Aside from the culture bonus provided by Landmarks, the Improvement also gives +2 Food and +1 production to both the landmark owner (if any) and the closest Golgari city. (does not stack if within Golgari lands)

What do you think? :D

Man it has been a while!! Life got in the way for a while, but recently I've started working on a new series of mods based on Warcraft civs, since the games are so near and dear to my heart.

The first one is Ahn'Qiraj (see below or in the first post), and I am currently working on Ironforge and Gnomeregan.

I may or may not continue making the Ravnica civs, if any ideas jump out at me immediately, but so far I haven't really found any new inspiration for them.

Enjoy!

Ahn'Qiraj

Spoiler :
Leader: Prophet Skeram

Unique Ability: Whispers of Madness - +1 :c5faith: Faith per 8 followers of your Religion. Your units have +15% attack strength while near an enemy city following your Religion.

Unique Building: Obelisk of C'Thun - + 2 :c5faith: Faith, +1 :c5happy: Happiness. Shrine replacement.

Unique Unit: Conqueror - 25% bonus combat strength outside of friendly lands, -25% combat strength inside of friendly lands. Mustketman replacemant.

This mod also adds a religion to the game, "Madness of C'Thun", for players and AI to use.

Steam Workshop | Dropbox

Known Bugs as of v1:

Author's Notes:
The first in a hopeful series of Warcraft civs, Ahn'Qiraj is a Religion-based civ, a mechanic I felt could represent the spread of corruption surrounding the Warcraft Old Gods quite well. Gameplay wise, the Qiraji play best with a wide-reaching empire to take the most advantage of their powerful Shrine replacement, building up a strong religious base before a powerful mid-game offensive push, if you're going domination. Their UU supports being very aggressive, and with the right Religious beliefs, you can stack up a strong combat power advantage for your units!

Flavor-wise, Skeram was chosen instead of the Twin Emperors for two reasons: the Religious light AQ's UA casts them in, and, frankly there wasn't much artwork beyond the one promotional image of Skeram to work with.

Ahn'Qiraj is a little more complex than my previous venture into the modding world, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Please let me know what you think!​

Top Bottom