What is your ideal 4/3/2 yield tile?

beetle

Deity
GOTM Staff
I realize that the answer to this question is highly factor dependent, not the least of which is the other tiles available, but generally: What would be your ideal yield for a tile with 4 resources? 3? 2? How do you rank resource yields?

For me, :c5production: > :c5food: > :c5gold:, all of which are more important than :c5faith:, :c5culture:, or :c5science:. Because of their relative scarcity (and not importance) when it comes to tile yields, I would rank the last three in that order.

But I also value variety. I want a tile to have at least one :c5gold:, so it can take advantage of :c5goldenage:. I also want a tile to have at least one :c5food: to help feed the :c5citizen: working the tile.

For a four yield tile, I would ideally have :c5production::c5production::c5gold::c5food:.
For a three yield tile, I would pick :c5production::c5gold::c5food:.

A two yield tile is obviously very weak, and one is only working them at the very beginning (because you don’t have enough workers) and end (because your city is quite large) of the game. I would pick :c5gold::c5food:, but is there any improved land that returns that? In actual practice, the only two yield resources I tend to have available late game are :c5food::c5food: (farmed deserts), which I guess is pretty pointless:p.

Well it depends on your setup. There is no point in having food if your next citizen is in 30 turns and the game is over shortly after or by then. There is also no point in having production if you're waiting for a crucial tech and you have jungle science tiles...

This game is more about timing things right, so you've got to micromanage your citizens to a plan you're trying to achieve.

yes very dependant, but generally i then would take 4:c5food: 3:c5culture: 2:c5faith:

securing early policies, pantheon, and food.

ah now i understand the question differently i think

4: 1:c5faith: 2:c5food: 1:c5culture:

3: 1:c5faith: 2:c5food:

2: 1:c5faith: 1:c5food:

I'd take faith over gold though... heck I'd take culture or science over pure gold (example: who would want to work a flat desert gold tile even with mint? but people will work Mt. Kailash no problem) any day

Interesting! Are those exact yields available?

moai statue on flood plains with dessert folklore for 1:c5culture: 2:c5food: 1:c5faith:

i dont think +1 science and no gold is possible since i think the only tile which can yield 1 science is trading post, which would give you gold.

Korean citadel gives +2 science, that may lead to quite peculiar yields, like 1:c5food: 1 :c5faith: 2 :c5science: (tundra with dance of the aurora) or 2:c5gold: 2 :c5culture: 2 :c5faith: 2 :c5science: (desert incense with monastery and goddess of festivals)

I must confess that I have ulterior motives for this question. I am still on G&K and not BNW, so I still have the option to put trading posts everywhere. But even before BNW, the consensus opinion was to mine hills. I don’t understand that, especially since the dialog here values science yield. Chopping forests early I understand, but a hill with a TP is :c5production: :c5gold: :c5gold: :c5food: or :c5production: :c5production: :c5gold: :c5gold:. How is :c5production: :c5production: :c5production: :c5production: better than that? Especially since the former benefit from golden ages and Rationalism that gives :c5science: on TP.

How does a TP hill get food ?

As far as your general question, well, production is generally better than gold. Think about it, would you ever work a 4:c5gold: tile ? I don't think so, but you're happy to work & 4 :c5production: tile.

How does a TP hill get food ?

Forested hills. You probably chop and mine them fast!

As far as your general question, well, production is generally better than gold. Think about it, would you ever work a 4:c5gold: tile ? I don't think so, but you're happy to work & 4 :c5production: tile.

That makes sense. Does the tipping point change once the TP is producing science?

Forested hills. You probably chop and mine them fast!

That makes sense. Does the tipping point change once the TP is producing science?

Right, forested hills. I do chop them pretty fast, early chops are awesome.

Sure, I guess you could justify TP over Mine once you get the Rationalism policy that gives science for TPs... but even then, not everywhere. The thing that's nice about mines is that sometimes you just want to maximize production : building a settler, a wonder, the World's Fair, spaceship parts, science buildings, whatever. Sometimes you just need things done fast, and that's where mines are awesome, even though in "off" turns when your production isn't as urgent, a hill with a science TP is better to work.

So even with that tenet, I would probably only build them if the city already has acces to one or two mines already. I might be completely wrong though, I tend to care less and less about what my workers do as the game progress, which is obviously not optimal.

I can't think of a 4:3:2, but my favourite "ordinary" tile is a hill with a river running through it, then put a farm on.

:c5food:
:c5production::c5production:
:c5gold:

With civil service , this becomes

:c5food::c5food:

Then with Hydro plant -

:c5food::c5food:
:c5production::c5production::c5production:

Wheat could give you an extra food, but sadly I've never seen wheat growing on hill, access to fresh water or not.

Wheat with Civil Service and Hydro , on a river, on plains -

:c5food::c5food::c5food::c5food:

During a Golden age, this would turn into -

:c5gold::c5gold:

Yay, i win! 4:3:2 food , production then gold!

Wheat could give you an extra food, but sadly I've never seen wheat growing on hill, access to fresh water or not.

Wheat with Civil Service and Hydro , on a river, on plains -

During a Golden age, this would turn into -

:c5gold::c5gold:

Yay, i win! 4:3:2 food , production then gold!

For GnK a river hill desert sheep tile with Petra with stable (or hydro plant, but not both, but both is even better giving 5:3:2), fertilizer and GA is also
:c5production: :c5production: :c5production: :c5production:
:c5food: :c5food: :c5food:
:c5gold: :c5gold:

Another 4:3:2 tile.

Actually, Moais make it such that there are almost limitless combinations that are 4:3:2. Since Moai can be anywhere from +1 to +6; any 4 food/hammer tile (flood plain wheat/grassland deer with granary, hill with iron and forge etc.), with a +3 Moai in a GA with flight will be 4/3/2, as well as any 3 food/hammer (naked tundra deer with granary) tile with a +4 Moai.

Top Bottom