Aaaarmy Training, Sir!

If building just 1 warrior i believe it would be better to keep it around our city site, which we should be able to plan when we finish BW. The scout would be the best unit to try to send back up north because he's fairly expendable.

Well, I still think we need to unfog that 1 tile in the sea, since it is so close to home. I'd do that before moving W. I guess we could do that with a warrior, but I'd rather get the warrior to an appropriate spawnbust position asap.

I think we should discuss micro as much as possible, but there's not too much of that now. For now, we should just try grow as fast as possible. Dry corn, if I recall will not allow for working 2F1H except on the final turn of growth. however, settling on the nanners may change that. Just check/move the tiles as we get close to pop two for switch between rice and 2f1h tile.

Well, I still think we need to unfog that 1 tile in the sea, since it is so close to home. I'd do that before moving W. I guess we could do that with a warrior, but I'd rather get the warrior to an appropriate spawnbust position asap.I think our border pop should reveal the fogged, workable coastal tile for us.

I think we should discuss micro as much as possible, but there's not too much of that now. For now, we should just try grow as fast as possible. Dry corn, if I recall will not allow for working 2F1H except on the final turn of growth. however, settling on the nanners may change that. Just check/move the tiles as we get close to pop two for switch between rice and 2f1h tile.

Agree on the growth max. Actually I was more thinking growing to S4 before starting settler. Hopefully we'll know a lot more about 2nd city site with BW.

lurker's comment:
Well, I still think we need to unfog that 1 tile in the sea, since it is so close to home.

Is is all too typical for seafood to be hiding in that 1 unexplored tile. :D
The cultural border pop in 10 turns will reveal it indeed.

Nice to see some activity (and new faces) in the SG subforum! :) Although that pigswill guy never seems to go away...!

*return to cave*

Working forest at S2 would be to get warrior finished in time for a S3 settler. If you want to go for S4 settler then the 3F is probably fine.

I'm not too sure about S3 vs S4. I think the 4th tile adds very little unless the settler is whipped.

True, Izuul. The additional pop doesn't add much for settler/worker builds with current tiles (1h as you said prior). I was assuming we'd whip @4. [I actually went to S5 before whipping in my test so I could (2pop whip + a chop) then remain on the corn + 2gems following whip; I whipped at T33].

Just so I'm following--so building the settler at S3 means not whipping it? Or are we just investing hammers into settler before BW?

@Rusten
Although that pigswill guy never seems to go away...!
Yes, he's lurking, probably sharpening axes somewhere.

I would either do S3 and no whip (possibly 1 chop) or grow larger and whip. With the whip I'm not sure if S4 > S2 and briefly whipping away gems or S5 > S3 to retain gems would be better. Growing that last size would take some time. That might depend on how the 2nd city site shapes up.

With BW route I think we can build at size 3. Alpha route was best at size 4.

Good to see you Rusten...return from cave :) ah..border pop good call..

Wow, a whole lot happened in 15 turns.

I don't think we can really consider a rush, we've got commerce but I made a handy infographic of how much food we have until IW.

Dotmap.jpg

Obviously dependent on what we reveal, but I think Red Dot then Orange Dot would at least allow for some fun tile sharing. Orange Dot is more of a city for the future, but that's about the only city in the region shown so far that I can get to +5 food without having to share cows.

Just my thoughts so far. Hidden fish obviously moves Red Dot as well.

Bad land but good early commerce are typically strong reasons to rush. Cap has forests to chop units and enough food to whip some as well, particularly if at least one of the gems can be worked by another city.

BW > AH looks strong here, particularly with AH being really cheap due to double pre-req bonus. Cow will allow for a fairly solid 2nd or 3rd city. We will also want to grab some more forests if possible, so a city around cow + rice that can also work the hill gems could be good and might contribute as many as 5 more forests. Hard to plan the sites before we are able to see copper and horses, but i think the overall goals of the cities remain more or less unchanged.

I'm almost always in favor of a close 2nd city on Imm+ unless there are specific reasons for doing otherwise. I like Quip's red dot location. I would settle that 2nd unless a strategic resource dictates otherwise.

Also, this map is low sea level so expect a good bit of room. ORG could be a nice trait here.

Growing to size 4 into unimproved tiles, and then whipping (T30/31) away a gems mine for a few turns (3 or 4) seems lame. We'll get the settler T33 (T32 with a chop - can be decided later) starting it at size 3. If we don't chop, the 4th citizen could grow into a G hill mine.

I didn't see much opposition to the plan, so I'm playing in about an hour.

T20 met this guy:

Spoiler :

T23 Found Isabella's 2nd city.

T25 no bronze nearby I'm affraid.

Here's an overview of the known world:

Spoiler :

It looks like a huge continent.

I moved the warrior and scout to unfog as much as possible before taking the screenshot.

The wheel is just a placeholder.

And the save is attached

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot5398.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot5398.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 348
  • Civ4ScreenShot5401.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot5401.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 344
  • FSG-Zara BC-3000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    69.6 KB · Views: 155
Nevermind, didn't realize we already had 1T into the mine. I think TW is still better than AH. AH will finish in plenty of time for 2nd city cow even if it is teched after TW. I think getting TW and roading for 2nd city site (i like Quip's spot from earlier) would be best right now.

Figures, no bronze. Man, this map not shaping up to be very cottage-friendly; river systems so distant. Not all that many hills in our starting vicinity either. Looks like heavy farming by necessity type situation.

Quip's red-dot site looks to me like our best 2nd city option. (Or maybe 1W of red-dot but that also kills a plains + plains/forest coast tile w/o gaining much).

At least there's another cow near the western dyes. Marble SE of lake but...iffy on food there from what can see currently.

Tech: I suppose AH best to tech next, will need it for red-dot. Surely there's horses, right? I'd be fine with TW next though too. Imo, it seems like we'd be teching AH>TW or visa versa anyways.

Izzy's cap is to the north of her 2nd city btw...culture view shows it.

Rota:
1. Solyaris
2. Walter_Wolf (set complete)
3. Lymond Up
4. yena (on deck)
5. ShiVvV
6. Packers5280
7. pigswill
8. Quip
9. Deonnim
10. shpeka

FYI-Fog gazing shows that island definitely extends at least one more tile to the east. And the water tile 2SW of the tile we can see looks coastal, maybe?

Wondering if possible to expand enough to the west to block Izzy and secure the south? Unless Churchill is down there (who also managed to found Buddhism).

@Izzul
I was looking at your team's succession game thread a bit. Do you guys name your workers using team members' names just to help identify?...might be a good idea here too.

I read a writeup by Serail once where units were given player-names too; was pretty entertaining and was thinking of doing that here...but if we also name the workers might get confusing as hell.
Maybe we could name workers A,B,C,etc and use player-names for units.

Yes, yes, I know....dorky but could be fun.

I think TW > AH is better because it allows the worker to do something good (road to 2nd city site), and AH will still come in time to improve cow. If horses pop up somewhere else we can probably whip a 2nd settler pretty quickly.

Yeah, we try to rename workers to avoid confusion.

Things are moving along quickly. The land could be better but I agree on red dot for the next city. AH could be better before TW to reveal horses (if any) and guide city placement but arguably it is more important to road to the new city cite instead. Either way is fine.

I vote for TH > AH, getting a road to our second city seems highly important.

@Shiv - we do it for fun and to help identify. We can do anything we want there to spice things up so an ideas are cool - dorky or not.

I like the TW first as well.

Well, made another dotmap with the available scouting info. It's still rough until our scout can finish his business across the lake, but here's how I see our future empire.

dippin dots.jpg

Still favoring red dot, but settling after that is up for debate. Purple cities I see as being pretty good post IW. I am thinking we will prioritize Calendar, so these cities should be pretty useful. However, it depends on whether we want to try for 4th city Pink Dots. Any path we choose has some implications on how we want to scout next turn.

Pink Dot #1: I'm favoring this one personally. We grab marble with city #3 (SW Purple Dot) and we have a pretty good position to block off the south with our Pink dot #1 as our 4th.

Pink Dot #2: The really safe option, it'll keep our marble safe from cultural pressure from Izzy and guarantee we get all purple dots. Also saves us from trying to block off a portion of continent that already has a civ in it.

Pink Dot #3: Gold and cows, but who knows what else. Would probably then sweep back east from there for Yellow and Orange dots. Definitely could use some scout info.

I also planted yellow and orange dots. Orange would be a good city, but it doesn't necessarily block off any good land. Yellow is definitely a sweet city post-CS, but doesn't have much going for it before then.

TW sounds good, my above settling ideas would require a decent road network. Of course, usual disclaimer that revealed strategic resources could render all this moot.

Top Bottom