Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Does anyone know How can I upload a file using tap a talk

I am uploading the file it's in the attachments. It's for civ 3 ptw.

Moderator Action: Please do not upload game files as it is against site policy may support piracy. Uploaded file deleted.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The best strategy is always to be very strong - Karl Clausewitz

BTW: it's spelled "Carl" in this case. (The spelling "Karl" also exists in German -- e.g. Karl der Große, Karl V. -- but in the 19th century the latinized "Carl" version was the latest fad... Just think about Carl-Maria von Weber (1786-1826, famous composer), Carl Schlechter (1874-1918, famous chess grandmaster and world champion candidate in 1910) or Carl Orff, the composer of Carmina Burana...)

BTW: it's spelled "Carl" in this case. (The spelling "Karl" also exists in German -- e.g. Karl der Große, Karl V. -- but in the 19th century the latinized "Carl" version was the latest fad... Just think about Carl-Maria von Weber (1786-1826, famous composer), Carl Schlechter (1874-1918, famous chess grandmaster and world champion candidate in 1910) or Carl Orff, the composer of Carmina Burana...)

Ok now i'll change it as I've been told about it 2 times and don't want to be told again.

Hang on a mo'! I just picked up a stack of bombers (like all my bombers) and moved them to a newly captured town but when I went to use them on the next turn, they were all gone!! Not in the old town, not in the new one and not on the manifest either! WTF happened? I need those bombers! :cry:

Ok now i'll change it as I've been told about it 2 times and don't want to be told again.

:goodjob:

Hang on a mo'! I just picked up a stack of bombers (like all my bombers) and moved them to a newly captured town but when I went to use them on the next turn, they were all gone!! Not in the old town, not in the new one and not on the manifest either! WTF happened? I need those bombers! :cry:

That sounds odd indeed. Never experienced something like that. Do you still have autosaves from before and after? (You didn't accidentally hit the "Disband" button while the stack was active? :D)

I'd allow myself a reload for that.

:goodjob:

That sounds odd indeed. Never experienced something like that. Do you still have autosaves from before and after? (You didn't accidentally hit the "Disband" button while the stack was active? :D)
No, I selected a bomber and clicked on the 'move all units of the same type' button. To disband you go shift-D, or maybe just D, I think (I know this because I often hit this by mistake when trying to fortify and get confronted with a request to confirm).
I'd allow myself a reload for that.
I allow myself reloads for a lot less! :D

In truth, the game was basically over, and had been for a while. I was just mopping up against a hopelessly over-matched Babylon. Still, it's a puzzle :confused:

I want to know if, after I make alliances with Korea, Japan and Egypt against Carthage, should I wipe Carthage completely out, or should I keep a city of Carthage around, so that I can continue to sign RoP with the other civs with whom I'm in alliance against Carthage? But, if I for instance invade Japan after invading Carthage, and violate my alliance with Japan against Carthage, will it be worse for me in terms of making it more difficult to sign other alliances in the future? I need to sign alliances before nuking the other civs, otherwise those other civs go to war against me.

In feudalism (in diety level), when I try to sabotage production, only half the shields of the city go away. Does that increase with veteran and expert spy experience when I sabotage production in communism or fascism?

I want to know if, after I make alliances with Korea, Japan and Egypt against Carthage, should I wipe Carthage completely out,

Usually it is by far the best choice to annihilate any civs you are at war with. That way you prevent flips and having to decare war on them again.

But, if I for instance invade Japan after invading Carthage, and violate my alliance with Japan against Carthage,

You should not violate alliances. Simply fulfill them by taking out Cathage.

I need to sign alliances before nuking the other civs, otherwise those other civs go to war against me.

I suppose it is best to end diplomacy before nuking because after you used some nukes things get really ugly. If you want to use diplomacy donnot nuke. If you do use nukes you might aswell use them in big numbers and declare war one everyone, because they would likely declare war on you else.

You can try to declare war on japan and sign alliances against it with any other civ you want to keep friendly and nuke only after that. But chances are that this will fail. Nukes and diplomacy really donnot mix well.

I feel like my thinking goes against conventional wisdom. I like keeping around Carthage, my nuked opponent that has one city left with no troops left, because I figure the AI likes bullying smaller Civs, and as long as there are smaller civs around, the AI won't be bullying me.

Secondly, my approach also goes against conventional wisdom regarding diplomacy. I don't really need any other civs right now as I control all of the resources and about 7 of the luxuries. The only thing I need is a RoP so that I can position my tactical nukes and modern armour near their cities. So far, the approach of nuking and diplomacy has worked for me because I wait until the RoP expires, declare war while still on their land (and in position to attack, sign alliances with all of my other opponents, and then nuke the civilization. No other civ will refuse to sign an alliance. Unless the Civ has a strong connection to the most powerful of my opponents (Egypt), no Civ will declare war on me once I nuke.

I think this has something to do with that I am powerful in the game (second best civ, above average advancement in science), so Civs are more likely to make alliances with me, sign RoP and not declare war on me when I nuke (but make an alliance first).

My plan is to use diplomacy and nuking for every remaining Civ: Japan, Korea, Spain and Egypt. The same thing, stockpile my nukes, place my troops near their cities, wait for the RoP to expire, and attack. I am doing this in Diety level under the Feudalism government.

My plan is to use diplomacy and nuking for every remaining Civ: Japan, Korea, Spain and Egypt. The same thing, stockpile my nukes, place my troops near their cities, wait for the RoP to expire, and attack. I am doing this in Diety level under the Feudalism government.

I think I read here Having troops inside enemy territory before declaring war has the same effect as RoP backstabbing which would apply in this case.

It saves the random numbers in the save. That way when you load the save doing the same action will always have the same results even when chance is involved. That is important for PBEM. If however you donnot use that option, than those random things may have different outcomes each time you load that save. You could the reload till you win each battle and get a SGL for each new tech, get no pulloution and so on.

In my opinion, using nukes is not very efficient. Using Modern Armor Armies and Bombers will achieve the same with much less risk... The exception might be, when you are much weaker than your opponent and can nuke 2-3 big stacks of his and eliminate his powerful army that way. But other than that I often achieve victory by "conventional weapons" much easier than by nukes.

Top Bottom