Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Another question. In feudalism, when I try to sabotage production in a city, only half the shields of the city are lost when this spy mission is successful. Does having veteran or expert spies increase the level of shields lost from a city as a result of a successful "sabotage production" mission?

In an earlier discussion we had talked about getting 2 GAs on chieftain . Well i checked this and found that we can have only one GA whatsoever. I played using maya and had my first GA using pyramids . On attackingand winning a battle using javelin thrower i did not get a GA. Hence proved.

While i tend to agree on your conclusion calling it proved might be an overstatement. What about doing it the other way around? First GA via unit and later via wonder?

While i tend to agree on your conclusion calling it proved might be an overstatement. What about doing it the other way around? First GA via unit and later via wonder?

Hmm.... You have a point. This was actually a game I was playing for the HoF so after submission perhaps I'll reload to a few turns before completing pyramids, trigger a GA using Javelin thrower and then finish the pyramids after the first GA.

Another question - I have positioned my troops on the land of my allies, with whom my Right of Passage is set to expire next turn. However, that turn comes, and the next turn after that, and they don't request to renew the Right of Passage treaty, it just continues to go on.

I am hoping the Right of Passage will expire so that I can invade them, but it is not expiring. Why?

I have renegotiate deals as ON, and I get the Right of Passage renewal requests from the other civs, and was getting it from this civ before I placed my invasion force on their land.

Another question - I have positioned my troops on the land of my allies, with whom my Right of Passage is set to expire next turn. However, that turn comes, and the next turn after that, and they don't request to renew the Right of Passage treaty, it just continues to go on.

I am hoping the Right of Passage will expire so that I can invade them, but it is not expiring. Why?

I have renegotiate deals as ON, and I get the Right of Passage renewal requests from the other civs, and was getting it from this civ before I placed my invasion force on their land.
Who made the RoP, and in exchange for what? If you did it on your turn, and/or it was a straight swap (no other goods/techs/gold changing hands), I think it won't necessarily come up for renewal. If the deal was made on their turn, they may be too 'scared' to cancel it, if your military outweighs theirs. But you should be able to.

Hit F4, pick your target Civ's leaderhead, then the 'Trades' tab, then 'Active Trades', and you should find "(--) Right of Passage". '(--)' means the deal is still technically running, but has passed out of the obligatory 20T, so you can cancel it without becoming a 'deal-breaker' (i.e. AICivs will still do per-turn deals, assuming your trade-rep's intact). Click the RoP to select it for 'renegotiation', then 'Clear Table' to cancel it.

Just remember though, even after you've technically cancelled an RoP (or never made one to start with), if your troops are already inside your target's borders when you DoW, you'll still become an 'RoP-rapist' in the eyes of anyone who already knows your victim. You won't be able to sign RoPs (for a fair price) with any of those Civs again -- unless you can also tie it to something they really really want.

There is no second GA in CFC, period. (In non modified games)

IIRC you have to use the Preference setting for renegotiating trades or they will never come up and will have to be manually canceled or changed.

Tjs my mistake renegotiate on deals was off

In my opinion "off" is the better choice for that option, because then you avoid awkward moments like they they ringing you up after 20 turns and demanding more gpt for the same luxury... If you have that option turned off, you decide when deals should be renegotiated or ended. (Including RoPs, which like any other deal can be canceled manually after 20 turns.)

However, a word of warning: even if you have no active RoP with them, declaring war while your troops are inside their borders, will damage your reputation in the same way as a RoP rape does!

Is there any tool utility or a method to find out the map seed from a save?
CivAssist will do it. Open the .sav in CAII, select the Map button (wait for the map to load...), right-click within the map, and select 'Properties' from the pop-up menu. That will tell you all the geography settings: Map-size, Landmass-type, %Water, Climate, Age -- and the Seed.

CivAssist will do it. Open the .sav in CAII, select the Map button (wait for the map to load...), right-click within the map, and select 'Properties' from the pop-up menu. That will tell you all the geography settings: Map-size, Landmass-type, %Water, Climate, Age -- and the Seed.

That did the trick. Thanks.

How do I take a screenshot while the game? Is there a way of doing this without using a 3rd party utility?
You can certainly take a screenshot without using a 3rd-party program: up until recently, I played exclusively on a PC-laptop (WinXP), and used the 'PrtScrn' button -- on my laptop-keyboard, it's on the top line, just to the right of the F-keys (the positioning is similar on a standard PC-keyboard).

However, once you've got your screengrab, it will just sit in your clipboard unless you put it somewhere. Assuming that you're using Windows, you should have MSPaint installed somewhere (if you know where to find it!): open it up and just use Ctrl-V to paste the screenshot there. (I find MSPaint really clunky, so I use Paint.NET instead). The only drawback to using 'PrtScrn' is that I use dual 1280x800 monitors, positioned top-right-corner adjacent to bottom-left corner (to minimise the cursor-crossover zone), so the entire area (2560x1600) of both monitors gets grabbed, including the blank offsets. This means that the first thing I have to do as soon as I've pasted the shot into Paint.NET, is to crop away >75% of it. (I should also clear my clipboard to free up memeory, but I usually don't).

On Macs, you can use Apple-SHIFT-3 (will take a shot of the whole screen) or Apple-SHIFT-4 (will allow you to click-and-drag to select the grabbed area). Or you can simply open up 'Preview', go to the 'File' menu, and select 'Take screenshot>From Selection' ('From Window' might also work, if you have Civ3 running inside a window -- but a Mac-player would be better able to answer that). Preview allows basic annotation, so actually works pretty well for making basic dotmaps.

On the subject of dotmaps, I just noticed the other day that the Map function of CAII also has an 'Save/Export Map/View' function (in the same pop-up menu where you found the map-Properties). So you can actually prepare a dotmap in CAII (in the Map view, select a tile(s), hit Space to plant a 'New City' marker(s)), then either save the picture direct to the desktop (or wherever), or copy what you've done from CAII to your preferred graphics program, for further editing.

How do I take a screenshot while the game? Is there a way of doing this without using a 3rd party utility?

Also if you're using Windows 7 you can use snipping tool. It's the easiest way that I use. Just cut the screen which you want, save wherever you want and its done.

Top Bottom