Community Deity Game #1 - Persia

Folks need to chill down. People play games for fun and not necessarily because they want to participate in a series or make it into a spread sheet. I don't give a flying fook about spread sheets, for example, and I mostly play other games, but if I see a map which looks interesting, I will try. Ultimately, people who do series or spread sheets should do it for their own pleasure and entertainment and take others' participation as a favor and not an obligation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm back on things sort of off topic again but with warmth I remember this Hammer's post in the Sweden DCL (#4 I think) and I still think it's pretty much the nicest complimentary note written in respect to the series and deserves to be quoted.

this thread is enormously entertaining. seeing the huge variance in how the AI treats each player and strategy is mind-boggling. this is why you are all deity level players. Persia was a runaway in one of these? didnt expect that. I expected Shaka's results in a few of these but seeing Grendeldef's forward settling on him was crazy. Winning a diplo with never getting to Info era? and buying a vote? crazy. starting with a 2nd city Kili? also crazy since the game still proved to be a big challenge with it. and glory7 lost this one? unbelievable! i also really like tefoqc's donating his GWs because the gains from that were greater than popping him.

ive never played Sweden at deity. ive already read the spoilers so i wont be trying this one (nor embarrassing myself on posting the results, haha) but this thread delivers on entertainment value. great deity challenge, dinglebirdy!

What a lovely horizon-to-horizon carpet that is. We only have wall-to-wall version so any chance of getting touch with retail provider?

Now I'm inspired to go ahead and play this one

Nice. :)

For me the best part of these type of games is comparing strategies and playstyles. The DCL improved my play quite a bit -> this type of game will help to break me away from standard play.

Rotating hosts, step up, you are needed. This one is now on hiatus.

I sent all my maps to Stormtrooper412. I hope to be back with you in the future after I've sorted some personal matters out.

Rotating hosts, step up, you are needed. This one is now on hiatus.

I sent all my maps to Stormtrooper412. I hope to be back with you in the future after I've sorted some personal matters out.

Hope it all works out, I've learned a lot about this game, especially warmongering, from my limited time I can spend trying these maps. I STILL haven't had a chance to play this one, and after peaking the spoilers to CDG 2 I am super excited to see where this goes. These achievements are the work of a genius, and seeing the best of the best meet them all in style is mind blowing.

I'd love to see another DOMV one though, only this time focused on some friggin frigate spamming. I absolutely love the themed approach, and I can't wait to try my hand at weaving my own Persian rug lol. I'd volunteer to be a rotating host too, but I work two jobs and have a toddler so I don't even have time to play the games that have been and will be released! Hope you are back soon, I am going to master this game the rest of the way with this series.

yeah, there's 4 maps ready after this one

Great, that'll cover 2 months, and hopefully Consentient is back by then - best wishes to him.

Agree with Wild_Woojsha, I love the theme concept of this series and how for this particular map it made things more challenging while focusing on uniques of the civ. I have more fun when I get to use the specific bonuses of a given civ (unless they suck!).

Lets see if we can keep the engagement level going strong. If ST has a plan for the next one then we are on the right track :)

cdg 2 is Assyria Science and will be posted on the 15th

meanwhile, there are still people who would try me for my war crimes, too bad I control the courts :D

not over but going nicely, on pace for 4 out of 5 achievements :)

Attachments

• persia11.jpg
    persia11.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 96
cdg 2 is Assyria Science and will be posted on the 15th

meanwhile, there are still people who would try me for my war crimes, too bad I control the courts :D

not over but going nicely, on pace for 4 out of 5 achievements :)

You're going to have some new "War Crimes" to be tried for if Assyria is the Civ to play and those spoiler-hidden achievements stay the same!!! That's all I'm going to say on that because I respect the idea behind the spoiler tags even though I open every last one. I re-spoiled it below since it's about 5 pages back now, and of course wrapped it so no one can see!

Spoiler :
A - Win a Science Victory before T230 - 5 pts
B - Help a friendly AI conquer 3 capitals - 4 pts
C - Restore a civ to life - 3 pts
D - Never train a military unit - 4 pts
E - Pass Sciences Funding in the WC - 3 pts

So that's 19 points, true to your prediction.

You're going to have some new "War Crimes" to be tried for if Assyria is the Civ to play and those spoiler-hidden achievements stay the same!!! That's all I'm going to say on that because I respect the idea behind the spoiler tags even though I open every last one. I re-spoiled it below since it's about 5 pages back now, and of course wrapped it so no one can see!

Spoiler :
A - Win a Science Victory before T230 - 5 pts
B - Help a friendly AI conquer 3 capitals - 4 pts
C - Restore a civ to life - 3 pts
D - Never train a military unit - 4 pts
E - Pass Sciences Funding in the WC - 3 pts

So that's 19 points, true to your prediction.

I revealed that bit on purpose, call it a sneak peak. Sorry if it came out wrongly

I revealed that bit on purpose, call it a sneak peak. Sorry if it came out wrongly

It didn't, and I love the genius behind it. Those achievements, for a war-monster like Assyria, are fantastic and I can't wait to play this next CDG and see how others manage to earn these crazy and almost impossible achievements. That's what this series is about, having fun with a central theme and stretching the limits of what this game can do without completely re-writing it. I love it. :goodjob:

I don't know if there's any way I could get achievement D!

In the write-ups for some of his other games, consentient described how he was able to use diplomacy to stay out of wars, and as part of that he deliberated avoid training units just to prove that it was all diplomacy. So I would guess that this the idea behind D. It is a challenge. I also presume you can keep any CS gifted units.

I won't be doing D because I like the UU too much.

I share the sentiment, the achievements seem disjunctive

At least there is not an outright conflict though. But capturing even one city (strongly implied by C) with just your staring warrior (upgraded), any scarchers, and CS gifted units would be quite the trick!

Well I think you either go for A and D or B and C, E can be achieved with both approaches.

^^ I agree with you, and I may have misunderstood where people are seeing the incompatibility between achievements.

I think A conflicts with B and C more than D does! If your game is that fast, you will not much have an opportunity to help another AI, let alone get a city from an eliminated AI!

Well I staged a really interesting thing in one game. I invaded the Mayans together with Poland. I captured their capital while Poland captured an expo, leaving them with one city. That city was captured by a city state that was Poland's ally. But before they could do that, I brought the city down to 1 HP and immediately made piece with Mayans. The city state eliminated them and on the next turn I DoWed the city state and liberated the Mayans :D

Well I staged a really interesting thing in one game. I invaded the Mayans together with Poland. I captured their capital while Poland captured an expo, leaving them with one city. That city was captured by a city state that was Poland's ally. But before they could do that, I brought the city down to 1 HP and immediately made piece with Mayans. The city state eliminated them and on the next turn I DoWed the city state and liberated the Mayans :D

That is the kind of impressive stuff that would need to happen on this too. And why I love CIV V, the shenanigans that happen are amazing.

I think the map for CDG 2 will be the real deciding factor on whether one of us can get all 5 of those achievements. If its islands, it'll be nice and easy if we are alone to meet D and not lose in the first 150 turns. If its pangea again, idk how I'm going to do it personally, but that's how you learn to play this game on Deity. Sink, Swim, and spoilers!

This looks crazy, but even if the achievements were designed so that you had to choose between them, we've still gotta try to be the best pokemon masters and catch them all!!! :crazyeye:

Top Bottom