60 Megabyte Maximum

Erebras

Prince
The sum of all attachments by me is nearly 60 megabytes, which appears to be some sort of maximum, unless that color bar that comes up when I'm uploading a jpeg or rar is just for dramatic show.

I still have a lot more units and more mods to submit. Do I need to:
  • 1. Delete previously submitted attachments?
  • 2. Request more memory by an administrator or moderator?
  • 3. Create a new account with a new name and avatar?
    [*]4. Learn how to store files offsite?
    [*]5. Not submit any more stuff?

I'm not familiar with all the rules and requirements of CivFanatics. Mostly I just use common sense, and right now, my common sense is telling me to ask this question so I know what my options are.

You could upload them to the database instead of attaching. (Use the download link at the top of the page.) This would give the added benefit of allowing others to find all your work linked into one location. For images or files I don't expect would be downloaded, I find offsite useful.

Uploading them to the database resets the attachment count? If so, I'll try that.

I didn't say that. I assume you'll have to manually clear out your attachments; though, having never done this I can't say more about it. Probably it'll be a pain at first, but better in the long run.

For the larger files and images and such, I recommend option 4. Traditionally AtomicGamer is the go-to place for large scenario downloads by CFC members, although other options work well too (although please try to choose one that won't have 4 links to viruses next to one link to the actual file). I also use Photobucket for images.

Option 3 is definitely not the right one, as dual logins will get you banned.

That said, even with using Photobucket for my images and other offsite options on occasion, I'm at 59.8 MB or so myself since sometimes the CFC upload system is just the most convenient. So I can commiserate with the predicament.

Just out of curiosity, could I upload pictures to, say, facebook, and then link the image here in a thread or post? I've not seen any pictures or images linked to a facebook account, but is facebook a legitimate site to "store" images and previews and such?

(I'm intending to just continue to use images as attachments, by the by. The only memory-up-eater were the units and leaderheads for CivSpecific. I'll repackage the mod to make it more database-friendly, and that should do the trick.)

I, too, am nearly at my limit for attachments, and have been for years. One trick I learned was to use the database in the following manner: whenever I upload something huge (like a terrain), I put all of my screenshots in the 'images' section of the db page. Then, when I make my thread, I can link back to those screenshots - even using the thumbnails the db uses, sometimes. Every once in a while you'll find a stray pic in a download page for that reason.. I used to use imageshack, but they've stopped allowing free use, and so I've shifted to photobucket, which allows free storage of pics and works just as well, as far as I can tell. I like photobucket's 'drag and drop' upload option, too.

Just out of curiosity, could I upload pictures to, say, facebook, and then link the image here in a thread or post? I've not seen any pictures or images linked to a facebook account, but is facebook a legitimate site to "store" images and previews and such?
If you have a url that will take you to the image itself (not a page with the image & a bunch of other things). that's what the tags are for. Just click the icon in the reply box that looks like a picture of the mountains with a yellow sky. A window pops up where you can type or paste the url of the image.

Top Bottom