Help with a couple UA ideas?

RampantGeth

Chieftain
Heya Civ fanatics; getting back into that modding game and needed some help! Both in theory craft and execution.

Moving on!

I had a couple ideas for upcoming civ UA's so tell me what you think.

Faith on Kill (not as bad as it sounds!). Normally this would be largely useless for most of the game, but this civ (ideally) will have a UU that can only be purchased with faith (Lots) and being somewhere around 50 strength, but unable to cap cities. Save up that early game war-faith and wreck your enemies armies. late game, hey, they are great cannon fodder.

+1 Food from strategic resources. I haven't thought much into this one, probably easiest to link it to a dummy building? Idea being growth and military oriented.

Alternatively, I was considering +food from military training buildings. That feels a bit to similar to the Imperium of Man's UA though (+2 Faith and Culture from defensive buildings), so it makes me apprehensive.

Extra Credit: is it possible to tie a combat bonus to nearby units to a fort instead of the defensive bonus?

Thoughts?

Thanks peoples, you all are great!

Yup; hence the (Lots) of Faith that would be required. Probably have it require a temple or something so it can't come out too fast. Might give it a penalty to defense though.

Its basically supposed to summon a demon; meant to tie into a Faith on Kill UA.

Yup; hence the (Lots) of Faith that would be required. Probably have it require a temple or something so it can't come out too fast. Might give it a penalty to defense though.

Its basically supposed to summon a demon; meant to tie into a Faith on Kill UA.

Aaah, its for a fictional mod. You can have overpowered if its fictional demons i guess.

You'd make the demon unable to capture cities by making a custom promotion with a massive negative against attacking cities. Not sure about faith on kill, i haven't looked into gaining yield from kills.

You'd make the demon unable to capture cities by making a custom promotion with a massive negative against attacking cities. Not sure about faith on kill, i haven't looked into gaining yield from kills.

I know next to nothing about modding; is it impossible/stupidly complicated to give it the Helicopter's promotion?

Also, for a Demon, would think that it would have the terrifying promotion, like the Maori. JFD's Prussia's Death's Head Hussar and Luegi's Barbarian Immersion Enhancement's Barbarian GG use it off the top of my head.

It should be super easy to copy over the Helicopter promotion! I knew I saw that somewhere!

Terrifying is really a great idea. It'll let me lower the strength cause that will help take the edge off. Also bonus; it'll scale much later into the late game.

Pictish Warriors have a Faith on Kill trait. Huh. I didn't realize. Maybe I can copy that over for all units? Probably the easiest way.

I really don't want it to be overpowered though! Promise! Just strong will work, since they aren't going to be getting much of anything else so far...

Code:
	<Unit_YieldFromKills>
		<Row>
			<UnitType>UNIT_CELT_PICTISH_WARRIOR</UnitType>
			<YieldType>YIELD_FAITH</YieldType>
			<Yield>50</Yield>
		</Row>
	</Unit_YieldFromKills>
It's in the CIV5Units_Expansion.xml file for G&K. You won't find it showing anywhere under the BNW files. Firaxis was a bit clumbsy when they released BNW and did not always consistently re-show stuff from G&K in the files for BNW. Elsewhere, they did show stuff from G&K with an almost religious fervor. Makes for a frustrating experience sometimes looking for an example of how to use something. It also led to several oops on their part, like not adding the ability to purchase certain unique units with faith even when you've selected the Holy Warriors belief, depending on which civ you are playing as (although this one is as much a hand-me-down "oops" from release of G&K as it is a BNW "oops"). And adding the ability to buy with faith all later-game land combat units except WWI tanks when you've adopted the Fervor Reformation belief.

The "50" is, as I recall, a percentage of the defeated unit's strength rather than a direct faith amount.

... The "50" is, as I recall, a percentage of the defeated unit's strength rather than a direct faith amount.

That sounds about right. So that is how they tied it to the unit without having it be a promotion; interesting.

Any ideas on how to get this to work for all units? Could it be possible to tie it to the combat class?

I'm just theorycrafting here, dang there are just so many options.

+1 Food from strategic resources. I haven't thought much into this one, probably easiest to link it to a dummy building? Idea being growth and military oriented.

Fairly easy to do:
Code:
INSERT INTO Building_ResourceYieldChanges VALUES ('BUILDING_MYBUILDING', 'RESOURCE_IRON', 'YIELD_FOOD', 1);
INSERT INTO Building_ResourceYieldChanges VALUES ('BUILDING_MYBUILDING', 'RESOURCE_HORSES', 'YIELD_FOOD', 1);
INSERT INTO Building_ResourceYieldChanges VALUES ('BUILDING_MYBUILDING', 'RESOURCE_OIL', 'YIELD_FOOD', 1);
INSERT INTO Building_ResourceYieldChanges VALUES ('BUILDING_MYBUILDING', 'RESOURCE_URANIUM', 'YIELD_FOOD', 1);
INSERT INTO Building_ResourceYieldChanges VALUES ('BUILDING_MYBUILDING', 'RESOURCE_ALUMINIUM', 'YIELD_FOOD', 1);

That sounds about right. So that is how they tied it to the unit without having it be a promotion; interesting.

Any ideas on how to get this to work for all units? Could it be possible to tie it to the combat class?

I'm just theorycrafting here, dang there are just so many options.

You can try this

Code:
UPDATE Traits SET FaithFromKills = x WHERE Type = 'TRAIT_MYTRAIT';

It should be super easy to copy over the Helicopter promotion! I knew I saw that somewhere!

Terrifying is really a great idea. It'll let me lower the strength cause that will help take the edge off. Also bonus; it'll scale much later into the late game.

Pictish Warriors have a Faith on Kill trait. Huh. I didn't realize. Maybe I can copy that over for all units? Probably the easiest way.

I really don't want it to be overpowered though! Promise! Just strong will work, since they aren't going to be getting much of anything else so far...

Oh....
I've made myself look like a fool.

Couldn't you just do this in the Trait? Like the Russian trait:

Code:
	<Trait_YieldChangesStrategicResources>
		<Row>
			<TraitType>TRAIT_STRATEGIC_RICHES</TraitType>
			<YieldType>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YieldType>
			<Yield>1</Yield>
		</Row>
	</Trait_YieldChangesStrategicResources>

Just replace YIELD_PRODUCTION with YIELD_FOOD.

Couldn't you just do this in the Trait? Like the Russian trait:

Code:
	<Trait_YieldChangesStrategicResources>
		<Row>
			<TraitType>TRAIT_STRATEGIC_RICHES</TraitType>
			<YieldType>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YieldType>
			<Yield>1</Yield>
		</Row>
	</Trait_YieldChangesStrategicResources>

Just replace YIELD_PRODUCTION with YIELD_FOOD.
I think that will work. so far as I know there's no limitation for the four basic yields in that table (ie, I think all four are hooked-up in the dll for that table).

RampantGeth,
As ThorHammerz mentioned, it would also be easier to add the Faith from Kills directly to the civs Trait if all units are to get the ability. Only when one or some units of the same civ get the faith-from-kills should you use the <Unit_YieldFromKills> table. (ie, save yourself as much work as possible)

Top Bottom