Please just let us raze city states and capitals......

I'm intolerant of his reasoning. Do I need to explain how the Domination Victory works again? Should I explain how city-states factor into the game? There are several reasons why a "raze all" option negates half the game.

If the only way the game can operate is giving the player contradictory and arbitrary limitations (you can raze any city you want....except that one. That one's special), then the game is poorly designed.

It isn't a shortcoming.

More enjoyable for who? You don't speak for me. You don't speak for the other people who disagree with this idea. So, who is it more enjoyable for?

Adding zombies would make the game more enjoyable. To who? Does it matter? It would make it more enjoyable for someone.

It isn't a shortcoming. BUT...

This seems to me opinions are only worthwhile if they are yours. Talk about a double standard. :crazyeye:

This is a shortcoming, and a very big one. I want to be able to play the game as I see fit, not how you would have me play. At least the option for razing capitals and CSs should be there. All the devs would have to do is add a conquest victory condition. I would be ok if this was the only condition available for that type of game. Thinking on it, that should be the case. The idea being to conquer a certain percentage of the map. If you play a conquest game, then the way to win is to conquer and destroy your enemies. Raze cities or keep them as you see fit. A conquest victory was present in CiIV, not sure about III. It has been so long since I have played the game. Put a conquest victory in CiV. To me, it would be a lot of fun.

When you want to play the game with the other VCs you do that. You would have standard games rules, and a seperate conquest game and rules. Click what type of game you want to play. Problem solved.

A conquest victory was present in CiIV, not sure about III. It has been so long since I have played the game.

Conquest in CivIII involved capturing every single city on the map held by every player that is not you. While doing this the world slowly quickly turned to desert due to hyper global warming. And the newly captured cities would never produce more than one shield because of the hyper corruption system.

CivIII was all about the extremes.

Thanks for the well-reasoned response. You're free to disagree with whatever you want. A little civility is always nice, however.

K.

If the only way the game can operate is giving the player contradictory and arbitrary limitations (you can raze any city you want....except that one. That one's special), then the game is poorly designed.

This seems to me opinions are only worthwhile if they are yours. Talk about a double standard. :crazyeye:

That is how these things tend to work.

This is a shortcoming, and a very big one. I want to be able to play the game as I see fit, not how you would have me play.

I want to be able to launch nuclear weapons in 4000 AD. I see that as "fit" because Ancient Aliens told me it was "fit". Therefore, the arbitrary limitation on my ability to construct nuclear weapons is annoying. Furthermore, I shouldn't be punished for not using workers, because I don't see them "fit" in my vision of how I want to play this game.

At least the option for razing capitals and CSs should be there.

They should call it "Ignore half the game" option in the Custom Game start-up.

All the devs would have to do is add a conquest victory condition.

"Ignore Half the Game Victory!"

When you want to play the game with the other VCs you do that. You would have standard games rules, and a seperate conquest game and rules. Click what type of game you want to play. Problem solved.

There should be options to disable happiness, maintenance, religion, espionage, war, social policies, and a plethora of other options as well. That way I have the option to ignore the entire game and not just half of it.

It seems that the solution for part of the "problem" would be to disable city-states in game start-up. The other solution being to play OCC.

Pls. nobody is taking away your favorite toy and the developers arent your mummy...

I think you should be able to raze capitals and city states BUT, when you do, 1 unit, of the most advanced unit researched by the civ/CS who's city/capital is being razed, should spawn for every 1 citizen.

I think you should be able to raze capitals and city states BUT, when you do, 1 unit, of the most advanced unit researched by the civ/CS who's city/capital is being razed, should spawn for every 1 citizen.

well that would be a nice touch:goodjob:

The idea in civ 5 is that capturing the capital is basically forcing an AI to capitulate. Which is basically historically correct. The liberating part is also historically correct. One could argue that razing a capital should be an option, but in the grand scehme of things (and not having civ4 domination style VC in Civ5) it makes perfect sense. Besides, razing and rebuilding is overrated. Almost always the capital is in a very decent spot.

The idea in civ 5 is that capturing the capital is basically forcing an AI to capitulate. Which is basically historically correct. The liberating part is also historically correct. One could argue that razing a capital should be an option, but in the grand scehme of things (and not having civ4 domination style VC in Civ5) it makes perfect sense. Besides, razing and rebuilding is overrated. Almost always the capital is in a very decent spot.
That seem mostly correct. But take e.g. Romans vs. Carthage when Romans took the trouble after 3rd Punic war to totally destroy Carthago.

I don't see what the big deal, can't it just be modded?

dont be silly that would be much worse than cheating. you have to play it the way it was designed for you... (just kidding)

IMHO, capitals and city states should be destroyable as all the other cities.

This should be always the case: conquest and razing should produce a quantity of partisans around the city, depending on religion, culture, etc.

dont be silly that would be much worse than cheating. you have to play it the way it was designed for you... (just kidding)

Yes. You do have to play the game the way it was designed to be played when you're talking about very central mechanics of the game. I don't play Assassin's Creed and about the fact I can't open up a store. I don't play Team Fortress 2 and complain about the lack of assault rifles either. Again, if you want to mod it, mod it. Just call it the "Ignore Half the Game" option.

That's all.

That's ridiculous, partisans never had any advanced weaponry or good training. And what about the amount of space available around the settlement? Large cities being razed (such as Samarqand and Baghdad IRL) would just clog up the area.

It's perfectly fine as-is. Only people who are being needlessly obsessive-compulsive about city state placement are effected. Trust me, I used to be the same way until I improved my game and realized that cities overlapping massively has little downside as long as both cities still serve a purpose the other can't fill.

I have to agree with the naysayers. If you object to city-state placement, reduce the number of CSs when you generate the map.

Capital cities should be unrazeable.

That's ridiculous, partisans never had any advanced weaponry or good training. And what about the amount of space available around the settlement? Large cities being razed (such as Samarqand and Baghdad IRL) would just clog up the area.

Man, someone forgot to tell that to the mujahadeen when they were downing all those soviet helis with stinger missiles in the 80's.;) And let's not forget about the IED's of Iraq/Afghanistan nowadays. While they may not meet your criteria of 'advanced', anything that can flip an abrahams tank or destroy APC's is pretty advanced in my book, even if it's made of a cell phone, duct tape and an old artillery shell.

Man, someone forgot to tell that to the mujahadeen when they were downing all those soviet helis with stinger missiles in the 80's.;) And let's not forget about the IED's of Iraq/Afghanistan nowadays. While they may not meet your criteria of 'advanced', anything that can flip an abrahams tank or destroy APC's is pretty advanced in my book, even if it's made of a cell phone, duct tape and an old artillery shell.

I would post another picture of an aneurysm, but the memory from the last one is too fresh and on the same page.

One APC. One tank. Out of how many a unit represents? Since the game doesn't represent things like political will at home, I fail to see how these represent a threat on the CivV scale.

The Soviet helicopter fiasco was, whoops, caused by weapons given to the Mujahadeen by the United States. It isn't like a bunch of guys got pissed off at the Soviets and said collectively "I'm going to conjure a Stinger missile out my ass and shoot down helicopters". So, the idea is still very wrong.

Top Bottom