• Why bother?

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Morgan Freeman Is My God!

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

Darizuka

Chieftain
Hi.
im wondering how do you completely wipe out a religion?
I mean i took over a town which is the holy city of islam
And convert everyone with my great prophet. And it removed the holy city thing and such

After several turns, 2 people became islamic and the holy city of islam is restored

how... how do i completely erase it!?

Hi.
im wondering how do you completely wipe out a religion?
I mean i took over a town which is the holy city of islam
And convert everyone with my great prophet. And it removed the holy city thing and such

After several turns, 2 people became islamic and the holy city of islam is restored

how... how do i completely erase it!?

To completely wipe it out, you need to remove all signs of the faith (I don't know if just a Prophet will do, try an Inquisitor) to start with. Then, make sure that no other cities follow it, especially any that could spread it back to the holy city. Once no cities follow it then there will be no natural way to get it back into the game, except if the civilization that founded it is still around. If they are, any free great prophets (e.g. liberty finisher) they get, or any they purchase with faith, will still be of their original religion, so you have to stop them there.

Dont worry. I killed that civilization. But now i have to eradicate its religion.

Make sure to remove the heretic belief as a majority religion in all cities and replace it with your own. Eventually your pressure will overcome the holy city's pressure, at which point nothing will bring that religion back, except for a random great prophet they happen to generate in their last sad city. Which you can easily borrow and cultivate into a faith farm for personal use.

I don't think you can completely remove it. There is always base pressure in the holy city and you'll always have a couple of believers there some time after you used prophet or inquisitor.
The best you can do is reduce it to a tiny, local cult.

I don't think you can completely remove it. There is always base pressure in the holy city and you'll always have a couple of believers there some time after you used prophet or inquisitor.

You sure? I was under the impression that if you use an inquisitor and there are no other cities with that religion it was 100% gone, as long as the original faction was dead.

Mormonism and Scientology started as a tiny, local cult and look at them now.

Not going to get into a conversation about religion.Just will make me utterly thrash your arguments :p . But I was in a similare position a few games back a couple of times actually.One time I had no religion so I wanted to use the holy city.But I couldnt.Frustrating.The other time I had my own religion and captured another holy city.It was annoying but did not cause that much fuss.
Yes I thought to myself I should be able to wipe that religon out.And maybe you should but get a negative diplo hit for it. But I think it is more realistic to allow the people to worship as they please and naturally grow or not grow.Even the Romans allowed the Jews to practice their religion to a certain extint.But a game feature/sp etc where you have free religious worship and allow religions to preach their message freely.Or a feature where you clamp down harshly on such things.That also would be realistic.And flow with your form of govt etc.

Yeah, use an inquisitor and the religion will be finally gone.

It's a shame inquisitors cost a lot and can only be used once though.

Can an inquisitor actually kill the religion completely? as in : its no longer on the world religions list?
If so : would that free up another civ to start a new religion?
I think the holy city asserts a considerable amount of base pressure upon itself , so , if the city was completely converted to another religion , its original faith would slowly grow back. I usually play on marathon where : a holy city exerts 10 pressure upon itself ,a grand temple increases the internal pressure to 20 , and , a regular religion adopted city exerts 2 pressure on to cities , there are beliefs that can give pressure bonuses. The pressure radius is 10 plots. Trade routes exert 2 pressure from either city. trade routes to holy cities exert more. So , you could arrange the neighboring cities and trade routes in such a fashion to outpace the internal pressure where the religion is stifled from returning.

A question this brings up : you can make ANY of your cities the holy city by moving your prophet there and then having it found the religion. The AI will ALWAYS found at the capital ,but , nevertheless , the question : can a holy city that is NOT a cap or conquered CS be razed?
I never tried this : could you found in a conquered CS or capital? If so : what happens if its liberated? Does the restored civ now own the religion? , and , WTF would a CS do with its own religion? would it crash the game , or what? ,and........ if you can't raze a non cap holy city , is it then a good strategy to found away from your cap to have two non-razable cities?

I have in fact eradicated religions. If you prophet the holy city, then all "pressure" from any city is gone, and you can do whatever you want with the rest of the believers.

What I did with Berlin, the holy city I captured was a double whammy of Great Prophet + Inquisitor, in the same turn.

It seems Great Prophet alone is not enough, since even if every follower of that religion is converted, the Holy City retains its own intrinsic pressure, and will eventually begin converting them back.

Based on these answers, it seems an Inquisitor alone may be enough to eradicate the holy city. No Great Prophet necessary.

The religion may still be present in other cities, but that can be dealt with piecemeal once you've eradicated the religion at its root. In my case I still had a few followers of Germany's religion in my cities even after eradicating it. However I actually wanted that since they had a pantheon belief that was useful to me. Just as planned. :cooool:

Top Bottom